Can I get SBS 3D from a pair of old MyVu glasses?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
saucercrab
One Eyed Hopeful

Can I get SBS 3D from a pair of old MyVu glasses?

Post by saucercrab »

I'm wanting to begin tinkering with side-by-side 3D and found a pair of MyVu Solo Plus on eBay for $50.

I am aware of the low quality from these glasses (did a bit of research before buying) but figured they can get me started. What I did not discover during my research is that they seem to be using a prism system, similar to passive 3D glasses for SBS viewing.

What I'm fearing this means, is that they're utilizing a single QVGA LCD screen within the glasses and using prisms to duplicate the image for each eye. If this is the case, can I still view SBS images with these, or will the SBS image be displayed in each eye (giving me four images, essentially)? I decided to finally buy the glasses based on this review that specifically mentions the ability to display SBS 3D within the 320x480 resolution. I hope he was accurate...

I have the glasses in hand - which is how I came to realize the prism-split may be the solution to their low cost - but am still waiting on my HDMI-A/V converter to power them up. I figured a post here wouldn't hurt while i'm waiting.

I'm still very new to this but am trying to understand how SBS works in HMDs like the Oculus, Cinemizer, etc... I greatly appreciate any help!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Can I get SBS 3D from a pair of old MyVu glasses?

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, for $50 bucks it's probably a fun little experiment (just keep your expectations low).

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”