My Android phone has no gyro...Can I use an air mouse ? :/

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
fadetoblack
One Eyed Hopeful

My Android phone has no gyro...Can I use an air mouse ? :/

Post by fadetoblack »

Hi guys

New here and just need to know exactly what the title says basically ! :) I have just gotten Google cardboard and am getting into it but was obviously disappointed that i only have an accelerometer and no gyro in my phone.....

So I thought of the air mouse thing ..... Surely it would work wouldnt it ? Maybe with the help of an app perhaps ? ..... Obviously I mean that I will be using the air mouse for headtracking...

Thanks in advance to you all :)
JoeyEdwards13
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: My Android phone has no gyro...Can I use an air mouse ?

Post by JoeyEdwards13 »

If you're streaming games from PC it actually works better than any other method I've tried! If you're playing them on the phone I don't think so. I tried this a few different ways but the in phone apps just wouldn't use the gyro mouse to "look"

If you're streaming from PC basically try and get a really small gyro mouse in the "remote" style. (The ones in the mouse style usually change functions to work as a normal mouse when on a flat surface and it messes things up)

Then get this remote and simply mount it on the colorcross or on the top of a set of headphones and you're set to go.

There's also a program that's free to download called "eithermouse" which lets you use your normal mouse as well as the gyro one with different settings on each meaning you can calibrate your head movements easily.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”