My Shield VR Project

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Vern_S
One Eyed Hopeful

My Shield VR Project

Post by Vern_S »

Hello all. First time posting here so I thought I would describe my current project for some thoughts and ideas. My goal is to use the NVidia Shield Tablet as a VR display device for mobile VR and PC Streamed VR. For performance the Shield Tablet is at the top of the heap for mobile devices and combined with the Shield controller allows the user to operate the tablet remotely as well as in game controls.

For creating the HMD I currently have two approaches.

First, my 3D Printer guy is currently modifying a 3D model from Thingiverse designed for the Nexus 7 which is a tad bit smaller then the Shield Tablet which is 8". Hopefully I will have this next week sometime.

The second approach is to create an adapter that will fit on a fully extended ColorCross VR headset, which I just ordered, that will probably extend out another half inch or so from the end extending the FOV to accommodate the 1" larger screen.

I am pretty sure the ColorCross lenses will not work with this extended distance and I need to get lenses for the modified Nexus 7 HMD anyway so I am trying a bit of an experiment here. I have a 10x macro lens from Opteka that I have done some initial tests with on my shield tablet, using one eye, and it looks promising so I ordered a second one.

Weight may be an issue at this point so I am looking at getting a head mount for night vision goggles. I also like this idea since the HMD is suspended in front of your face and not attached.

Any thoughts on this crazy idea?

~V~
kupfnerjw
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: My Shield VR Project

Post by kupfnerjw »

I don't think it's crazy btw. I thought the Shield would be good for this being that it's optimized for streaming. Embed the tablet into a piece of "1 foam and use a cheap motorcycle helmet since the pads and straps will distribute the weight evenly across your head. You should be able to adjust the foam pads in the helmet to accommodate a traditional headset without having to do any cutting or anything. In my combat helmet that I had in the military, the foam was fully modular (velcro lined the interior and stuck to the pads). Of course that depends on if you get a full helmet with a visor or just the cap style. A lot of full helmets have cooling vents.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”