Controller idea for Oculus VR

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

Controller idea for Oculus VR

Post by JDuncan »

"In playstation 3 the game Socom confrontation, the right stick controls where you look, and the left stick controls movement forward backwards side to side.

If you point the soldier to look somewhere then the left stick presses up meaning forward, the soldier moves forward to where he is facing which is where the right stick is pointing or has just pointed to.
The left stick is the child and the right stick is the parent."

I wrote that in one of my previous threads and left it at that believing that the idea would be used in some form by somebody by now but it isn't, look at this first post here by the username "bugnguts";
https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... 26&t=15496

So I will reword what I said before but in more detail so maybe the the idea will be used.

Use the playstation 3 controller design, specifically the part it has two sticks for the thumbs to move.

Now use the socom confrontation controller scheme to plug into the use of those two sticks on the playstation controller, one stick looks around and one stick move the forward facing person (left, right, by side stepping), and backwards to mean stepping backwards.

Now give control of the playstation controller right stick, the stick that moves around to move the head around to see up and down and in a full circle, give this control the the oculus vr head tracking.
It's a logical fit, the head on the oculus vr moves just like the right stick moves the players view.

Now with the playstation controller, use the head tracking for one stick, and the left stick which controls how the feet move, you leave that on the controller.
Now you have the left stick and buttons on the controller adding to the vr head tracking, and now you have precise controls in vr and can now get that great game.

So you just make a controller in the software like the motionjoy software does.
And leave the control controls in the sw exactly the same as socom confrontation left and right sticks (the buttons can be different though, since this isn't a recreation of socom confrontation), but for the right stick you switch to use the vr head tracking not the controller right stick.
Then for sure you have some good controls and can have some fun. :mrgreen:

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”