Zeiss VR One mobile VR $99 - Gear VR competitor

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Zeiss VR One mobile VR $99 - Gear VR competitor

Post by metronome »

http://oneteamus.org/zeissvr/#pricings

As its got carl zeiss and super cheap this might be one killer device :D
aqua3ds
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Zeiss VR One mobile VR $99 - Gear VR competitor

Post by aqua3ds »

I have pre-ordered one and hope Zeiss optics don't disappoint ...
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

I'd of jumped on it already, if it wasn't for not currently being compatible with my LG G2,
ha yeh if the optics on these aren't great then everyone is gonna have no hope!

Looking forward to reviews....
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

The best Phone option for the VR One at the moment is the Samsung Galaxy S5 Lte A model

That model comes equipped with the same internals of the "Galaxy Note 4".

Hardware

-Snapdragon 805
-3GB Ram
-2560x1440p@ 5.2 Inch display. Higher PPI than the note 4
-16MP Camera

Link: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_ ... s-6450.php

The problems I see with the VR One are, that there is no low level access (not mentioned at least) to the Hardware. It will just seem to use the hardware as any other Android device. Low persistence?
If the Optics are relatively the same as the Gear VR, we should see better resolution. However, If more magnification is required to compensate for smaller display to reach high FOV, then the benefit may be lost?

It will be interesting to see what the SDK has to offer

Are they offering a way to interact with Phone once is inside the case?

Still, it is nice that a big name player wants to get in.
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

See other side of picture at 5.1 inch its FAR MORE PIXEL PACKED then NOTE4 at bigger size and same resolution...
More Pixel packed image .... More immersion... More Quality in VR. 577 PPi is more near to 4K good idea. :) at hardly any price difference.

After experiencing DK2 i am strong believer CV1 got to be as near to 4K as possible. Or reduce Magnification straightway :twisted:

So what if little less FoV, if its more Mesmerizing :P
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

I just got my colorcross delivered, all I can say it works very well... can't wait to get it hooked up to my PC for game streaming :D
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Do post your findings.
I would suggest native apps over PC streaming.
like to read your opinion too. :)
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

You'll end up with a device that has worse performance than a DK1, but perhaps a little higher resolution (depending on phone). I don't think any solution will be able to beat the made-for-VR Note 4... at least for now.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

DK1 was PC exclusive. we are considering cable free experience at fraction of cost Assuming you are already holding good mobile phone...

Made for VR Note 4 is EXPENSIVE COMBO even more than $350 DK2 see how $900 for Note 4+ $250~300 for Gear VR that's $1200 at stake and No Positional Tracking ;) .
No doubt IT HAS TO BE VERY GOOD TO PROVE ITS PRICE POINT.

I would still think $100 Zeiss VR (Being Zeiss Optics and their knowledge of Optics beyond questions) + Xiaomi Mi 4 Unlocked at $350/ LG G3 at $480 (G3 has its own adepter Vortex VR Too)
will come Awesome at half of investment for little less accuracy......? Options are not bad.

NOTE4+GEAR VR may be best but apparently fated to become niche product, if Samsung will not work around price point.
Last edited by Dilip on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

But for £16 the colorcross is a nice bit of fun....

Instead of Mi4 what about Mi3 TD with Tegra4 to get around the decoder latency??
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

MI 4 for its Snapdragon 805 which is Beast and JUST SAME AS NOTE4 you get good processing power for Native VR Apps.

Can you buy MI3 TD ? its not available here. looks good by Config but Tegras are always Bulls on Paper. (Pun intended Nvidia :evil: )

Its nice to know you enjoy colorcross trust me DK2 is bad than this visually ;)
How is your streaming experience?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Awesome Pawsome Interview Here.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/17/the-futur ... s-4909185/

Some answers made me smile.

GC= GameCentral, NM=Nate Mitchell
http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/17/the-future-of-vr-and-oculus-rift-interview-we-quickly-figured-out-it-was-not-about-first-person-shooters-4909185/ wrote:
GC: But the big problem I had with the E3 demos is the resolution of the headset. The stereoscopic effect was great, the positional tracking was amazing, but the resolution is still RoboCop-o-vision. I worry that after all this time you’re trying to go mainstream at what I’m guessing is just a couple of years too early. I can still imagine a much better experience that seems, in my ignorance, to be relatively easy to achieve.

NM: I completely understand. So… I think it’s a couple of different things, because resolution is one of those things that’s a lot of things coming together. For example, the resolution of the panel is one thing. How much multi-sampling and super-sampling and anti-aliasing you’re doing is another major thing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GC: So it’s a software thing?

NM: Yeah, exactly. Well… it’s software but it’s also the GPU horsepower that can actually support it. That’s another thing. The optics, the diffusers, the diffraction filters, all of those things – they can basically visually improve the resolution without actually improving the resolution significantly.

So when we talk about resolution what we’re really talking about is perceived resolution, and perceived resolution is affected by so many different things that I believe that when you see the consumer product you’ll actually be like, ‘Wow! They actually improved the resolution substantially’. When we actually haven’t necessarily improved the resolution substantially.

I do agree with what you’re saying though, and we are going to continue to see higher resolution panels for the foreseeable future – even up to maybe 16K x 16K down the road. I’m of the mindset that we are at a point, with the consumer v1, that it is good enough to release it. And we wouldn’t release it otherwise, right? I mean we’ve held it back so much already…

So we believe that the consumer v1 will have a perceived resolution that is good enough for the consumer market, absolutely. But you’re absolutely right, we’re counting on GPUs to get much better. We’re counting on CPUs to get much better, and we’re counting on screens to get much better.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GC: [laughs] The other thing I’m still not clear on is how much these things are going to cost. Are you going to be paying like £600 and then a new version comes out next year like an iPad? Or is there going to be a subscription service or something?

NM: It’s really just too early to say. I can give you some hypotheses. So, the second developer kit is $350 [£218] and we’ve always said we want the consumer version to be somewhere in that same price point. Somewhere between a sort of $200 to $400/$500 range [£124 to £311]. We think it’s import to be in that range because we do want it to be as affordable as possible. And we’ve always tried to make this thing as affordable as possible.

Like with the development kit, we’re not making a lot of money. It’s all about getting it in the hands of as many people, so that there’s going to be more content… and that’s what’s most important. Which is actually not how other people approach their development kits.

I think the truth is though, with the Rift at least, even though you’re spending $350 on the devkit you do need a high-end computer to be able to power it, right? Because of the displays and everything else. And that really becomes the gating factor. Because if everyone can afford the $350 headset but then you need a $2,000, or a $1,000, computer that’s a huge cost. So that is one of the biggest challenges we have, moving into the consumer market. And something we’re worried about.

And I think in the long term that’s going to continue to be a challenge. We want to continually drive down the price, but ultimately you do need a powerful computer as well. And you know, you talk about wanting 8K displays/16K displays – just wait till you need the GPUs to power those things! They’re gonna be expensive… at least in the short term. 10, 20, 15 years from now, it’ll get better.
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Dilip wrote:DK1 was PC exclusive. we are considering cable free experience at fraction of cost Assuming you are already holding good mobile phone...

Made for VR Note 4 is EXPENSIVE COMBO even more than $350 DK2 see how $900 for Note 4+ $250~300 for Gear VR that's $1200 at stake and No Positional Tracking ;) .
No doubt IT HAS TO BE VERY GOOD TO PROVE ITS PRICE POINT.

I would still think $100 Zeiss VR (Being Zeiss Optics and their knowledge of Optics beyond questions) + Xiaomi Mi 4 Unlocked at $350/ LG G3 at $480 (G3 has its own adepter Vortex VR Too)
will come Awesome at half of investment for little less accuracy......? Options are not bad.

NOTE4+GEAR VR may be best but apparently fated to become niche product, if Samsung will not work around price point.

I think you still missing the point. Gear VR + Note 4 is a beta product.
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

y3p may be final Gear VR include positional tracking,by some trick...

Price point is still constraint, when you have almost equal hardware of phone and almost equal or better lenses but without
'out of phone' tracking and still 1/2 or 1/3 the entry ticket.

Tell me which will sell more....I tell you the second one because of lower entry price.
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Dilip wrote:y3p may be final include positional by some trick...

Price point is still constraint when you have almost equal hardware of phone and almost equal or better lenses but without
out of phone tracking and still 1/2 or 1/3 the entry ticket.

Tell me which will sell more....I tell you the second one because of lower entry price
I still think that you need to study the scenario as a whole picture. You just posted an interview with Nate-VP of Product.

You can dissect some important factors from that interview. The Note 4 is running a 2.5k display and "must" have the horsepower to run at high framerates. The Snapdragon 805 is not even rendering the games at native 1440p, but 1080p then upscaled to 2.5k
What does that tell you. VR is a new paradigm and it will require a minimum base hardware to run adequately, or a starting point. The Note 4 will be the starting point. It can only be better hardware from this point on forward.

When the final release of the Gear, you will likely see more phone options available and many phone users with capable handsets to run VR properly. That will take at least one year cycle. If you look at all new phones, they are all carrying Snapdragons 805 or equivalent.

Same time next year, most phone should be able to perform like the Note 4 or better. This means that anyone should be able to just but a Gear VR, or similar officially supported headset and use a already existing phones without paying a new one.

slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

Dilip wrote:Awesome Pawsome Interview Here.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/17/the-futur ... s-4909185/

Some answers made me smile.

GC= GameCentral, NM=Nate Mitchell
http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/17/the-future-of-vr-and-oculus-rift-interview-we-quickly-figured-out-it-was-not-about-first-person-shooters-4909185/ wrote:
GC: But the big problem I had with the E3 demos is the resolution of the headset. The stereoscopic effect was great, the positional tracking was amazing, but the resolution is still RoboCop-o-vision. I worry that after all this time you’re trying to go mainstream at what I’m guessing is just a couple of years too early. I can still imagine a much better experience that seems, in my ignorance, to be relatively easy to achieve.

NM: I completely understand. So… I think it’s a couple of different things, because resolution is one of those things that’s a lot of things coming together. For example, the resolution of the panel is one thing. How much multi-sampling and super-sampling and anti-aliasing you’re doing is another major thing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GC: So it’s a software thing?

NM: Yeah, exactly. Well… it’s software but it’s also the GPU horsepower that can actually support it. That’s another thing. The optics, the diffusers, the diffraction filters, all of those things – they can basically visually improve the resolution without actually improving the resolution significantly.

So when we talk about resolution what we’re really talking about is perceived resolution, and perceived resolution is affected by so many different things that I believe that when you see the consumer product you’ll actually be like, ‘Wow! They actually improved the resolution substantially’. When we actually haven’t necessarily improved the resolution substantially.

I do agree with what you’re saying though, and we are going to continue to see higher resolution panels for the foreseeable future – even up to maybe 16K x 16K down the road. I’m of the mindset that we are at a point, with the consumer v1, that it is good enough to release it. And we wouldn’t release it otherwise, right? I mean we’ve held it back so much already…

So we believe that the consumer v1 will have a perceived resolution that is good enough for the consumer market, absolutely. But you’re absolutely right, we’re counting on GPUs to get much better. We’re counting on CPUs to get much better, and we’re counting on screens to get much better.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GC: [laughs] The other thing I’m still not clear on is how much these things are going to cost. Are you going to be paying like £600 and then a new version comes out next year like an iPad? Or is there going to be a subscription service or something?

NM: It’s really just too early to say. I can give you some hypotheses. So, the second developer kit is $350 [£218] and we’ve always said we want the consumer version to be somewhere in that same price point. Somewhere between a sort of $200 to $400/$500 range [£124 to £311]. We think it’s import to be in that range because we do want it to be as affordable as possible. And we’ve always tried to make this thing as affordable as possible.

Like with the development kit, we’re not making a lot of money. It’s all about getting it in the hands of as many people, so that there’s going to be more content… and that’s what’s most important. Which is actually not how other people approach their development kits.

I think the truth is though, with the Rift at least, even though you’re spending $350 on the devkit you do need a high-end computer to be able to power it, right? Because of the displays and everything else. And that really becomes the gating factor. Because if everyone can afford the $350 headset but then you need a $2,000, or a $1,000, computer that’s a huge cost. So that is one of the biggest challenges we have, moving into the consumer market. And something we’re worried about.

And I think in the long term that’s going to continue to be a challenge. We want to continually drive down the price, but ultimately you do need a powerful computer as well. And you know, you talk about wanting 8K displays/16K displays – just wait till you need the GPUs to power those things! They’re gonna be expensive… at least in the short term. 10, 20, 15 years from now, it’ll get better.
Very interesting conversation and answers my questions as to why there is such a long delay in the production of CV1
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

May be because we are still not there. Pixel density wise DK2 is still below par average 1024X768 Monitors that's average visual quality of 1999. all other components are just right still
VR is still much about Visuals. For CV1 they needed something above Full HD in OLED and in small size, Options were too limited. ideal Samsung being biggest player in OLED field.

There was no chance Samsung would provide 2560X1440 panels to be made public before they launch NOTE4 that was last month Sep 03,14.

My experience with DK2 says even 2560X1440 would be short for ideal visuals, if we go for 5.7 panel that's Note4, If i to choose it would be 5.1 panel with 2560x1440 being more pixel packed but it will also introduce issues for people having higher IPD. so Oculus most likely won't use this panel too. which make me think they need 4K panel for CV1 which is still not there in OLED flavor at-least known to public.

They are there in all other terms apart from right display panel and 'Content' Which is also still not there. They are on right track may be by Q3 next year we will have 4K Oled Panels and plenty of software to enjoy.

Find some secret raveling lines from NM:

"Well… it’s software but it’s also the GPU horsepower that can actually support it. That’s another thing. The optics, the diffusers, the diffraction filters, all of those things – they can basically visually improve the resolution without actually improving the resolution significantly.

So when we talk about resolution what we’re really talking about is perceived resolution, and perceived resolution is affected by so many different things that I believe that when you see the consumer product you’ll actually be like, ‘Wow! They actually improved the resolution substantially’. When we actually haven’t necessarily improved the resolution substantially."

If i read between theses lines. it implies they did found a way where though you look at 2560X1440 resolution but you perceive it to be higher side. As many reviewer reported "Visuals on Crescent Bay were better then Note4"

That's most likely reason i can make out.....What you feel??
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

I can only imagine that they are using an ultra expensive PC to demo Crescent bay. Way out of the price range for most of us. I can't wait to demo the Gear VR when it's eventually released, which, by comparison, is the far cheaper option for VR.

I personally think that a headset + phone slot-in will be the most popular VR for the vast majority. Especially with the likes of Carl Zeiss jumping on the VR bandwagon now. Sony will smash the VR market for PS4, with Microsoft surely to follow up soon. I can only see hardcore gamers personally going for the Rift, only because of the huge cost of the hardware to run it. It won't help that they're owned by Farcebook either with Suckerdick already stating that advertising will play a part.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Gear VR will be total around $1200 investment for VR (890$ note4 contract free + 200/250$ Gear VR approx) Not cheap by any means. Which too is highly constrained by mobile GPU. Mobile do heat up like hot tost in VR mode due to constant excursion on SoC (self experience Tuscany dive on Xperia SP). Not a good way, if you really want to enjoy long session.
Since Gear VR is Note-4 exclusive, not smarter move unless you own note4 or going to buy for sure.

Zeiss I find more interesting due to their expertise over optics. Else you can buy $25 aliexpress ColorCross Cardboard clone. Works fine many mentioned this is what for short term experience.

To enjoy Real VR rift is ahead of competition for positional tracking, low letency, low persistence and oled refresh timings, really its different product which needs content and visual boost.
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Dilip wrote:Gear VR will be total around $1200 investment for VR (890$ note4 contract free + 200/250$ Gear VR approx) Not cheap by any means. Which too is highly constrained by mobile GPU. Mobile do heat up like hot tost in VR mode due to constant excursion on SoC (self experience Tuscany dive on Xperia SP). Not a good way, if you really want to enjoy long session.
Since Gear VR is Note-4 exclusive, not smarter move unless you own note4 or going to buy for sure.

Zeiss I find more interesting due to their expertise over optics. Else you can buy $25 aliexpress ColorCross Cardboard clone. Works fine many mentioned this is what for short term experience.

To enjoy Real VR rift is ahead of competition for positional tracking, low letency, low persistence and oled refresh timings, really its different product which needs content and visual boost.

You are just incorrect dude, read my previous post. No offense

Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Incorrect about exactly what part?
Mobiles do heat up hence can't be incorrect
Zeiss is good in optics too can't be incorrect.

Don't you think you point out too vaguely.
Indeed no offenses.
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

You make it sound like the Note 4 will be the only phone that will be used for VR. It has been stated that the Gear VR with Note 4 is a test. Once all is good, other phones will be compatible. Even Iribe have suggested the desire to have other phones and not only with Samsung.

If you are looking for an option now, yes dude you have to get a Note 4. Next year, probably be more options. All other companies are just making a case. You WILL NOT GET GOOD VR FROM JUST A CASE. The hardware needs to be there and also the software. Right now NOBODY ELSE HAS ANYTHING TO COMPETE. Maybe next year. So your options are limited, which is common sense. Gear is not a full fledged commercial product, but a beta. Is very simple to understand.

For VR ONE, unless the phones across the board improve performance, it will not be good VR. If you just care about resolution from what I gather, then get a S5 Quad display option and the VRONE and your set. The S5 is still very expensive since it has high specs.

Good luck with accurate head tracker, and low persistent. You need to have some patience. It will take time for the industry to evolve and options become available and CHEAPER.

You have been using the DK2 and that is the best your going to get for immersion wise for now, even if not the best resolution.
Last edited by Hannibalj2 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Gear VR is Note 4 exclusive is what Samsung is marketing. Besides its Samsung product that's why it says 'Powered by Oculus' not 'Oculus Gear VR'. So its not me who says its only for Note 4. Oculus might have plan down the road for other phones too, but surely it will be different oculus made device not Gear VR.

Gear VR is made after Samsung has given access to hardware internals of Note 4 to oculus, thus same will not work equally for other phones unless made with 100% same internals.(SoC/ Bord/ Architecture all). So you like to accept it or not its Note4 exclusive, may be time being but it is.

As long as there is no neutral 'Oculus Universal Mobile Adepter' hardly any hope.

True others are just 'Cases' and not perfect VR device like gear, but they are within reach of masses and not rich enthusiast exclusive. Imperfact but accessible.

I am happy with Dk2 for tracking/low persistence and not happy with visuals. I am not impetionet for better visuals
On the contrary I am fine with waiting till CV1 release.I just mentioned other options not criticizing dk/Gear.

Can't clear more :-)
Thegameveda
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Thegameveda »

As you would expect I ordered on day 1.. but I do that for eVRything. Thought I would let some interest build up before Brantlew pounces on my post ( only joking Branters ...sterling work over at the OVR support forum)

Here is my take on the potential of Mobile VR

2014 HMD Games & Theory Revelation IV: Zeiss VROne : Why Mobile FOV2GO VR marks the extinction of PC only Oculus Rift style VRhttp://the-games-veda.blogspot.com/2014 ... on-iv.html

RE 2K vs 1080 panels :

Although there is a 2K S5 variant , I have tested the S4 for over a year now in FOV2GO arrays , most recently Google Cardboard to enable wireless Android to PC Cloud linked VR and head tracking .. Currently this is the most requested phone for VR One

Most recently here (responding to a Carmack tweet) Mobilizing VR :Wireless Android PC Cloud Linked VR+Cloud based accelerometer head tracking + how & why Google Cardboard Android VR > Oculus Rift DK2 PC VRhttp://the-games-veda.blogspot.com/2014 ... cloud.html

With the Samsung AMOLED panels colour is simply stunning , even with basic Google Cardboard DIVE lenses I could find 0 chromatic aberration, near 0 pixels and screen door .. check the test videos in the article and repeat for yourself.. There is no dark bleed, blur.. I had to go back and check as I have been testing DK2 for 3 months..

What I am trying to get across is the Galaxy Note class maybe the wrong panel to go for and if a 1080p S4 panel is this good you may not need to use even an S5 1080p or S5 2K ( but it will be interesting to test this )

The use of devices like VROne is fluid , head tracking solutions , usage scenarios etc ..

Bringing the cloud to MVR is key in not only matching PC VR .. but superseding it .. which is what the above the article looks at

and hey to Cyber, Branters and the OVR crew.. loving peeling the layers of the VR Onion that is DK2 .. review soon!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

;)
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

Nice super thin lightweight phone to double up as thin display
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/29/oppo-r5/

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”