An idea for technology to make a display for a VR headset

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

An idea for technology to make a display for a VR headset

Post by JDuncan »

I had the idea before to have the rgb pixel face the monitor direction, and then the monitor has a mirror that can be tilted and the rgb is shined onto the tilting mirror.
The mirror then shines the light onto the eye.

The idea was to break the pixels sum in half and dedicate one pixel to one eye.

But now I think it would be better to have two rgb pixels and two mirror per pixel number in the monitor.
This way the same pixel is used for both eyes.

How this works is like 3D tv strobbing in active 3d displays, where the screen turns black momentarily two let the eye see a picture while the other eye sees a black screen.

The pixel mirror is a plane mirror, which is a special kind of mirror that is shining light in a straight line not in a bunch of different directions.

The rgb blinks on, and only one rgb pixel is on at a single moment, and the mirror the rgb is shining on beams the pixel light into one eye.
Each mirror is dedicated to either the left or right eye in each pixel, remember the pixel I am talking about has two pixels inside and two mirrors.

When the eye moves around the might may not be visible because of how the plane mirror works, so the mirror tilts using a pencil mechanism.
The middle pole the mirror is held by is held by the base, and the tip of the pole inside the base is moved and this then moves the mirror to beam light to where the eye is.

How the monitor knows the eye position is infrared and SW to calculate where to beam the pixels light from the mirror.
Each eye wears a contact lens with points on the pens that show a heat signature, and the monitor has equipment to read the heat signature on the contact lenses.

The two mirrors in the pixel are side by side, and the two pixels are on the outside of each mirror which places the rgb pixels on the walls of the containing pixel.

Because the pixels are focused onto the eye, the actual pixel size isn't important, which means even though the containing pixel should give a ugly picture focus, the was the pixels focus on the eye the focus looks crisp.

This then would allow for eye focus logic in SW to possibly give 3D inside of VR with the different types of parallax.
The screen would be a large flat or curved screen with no real lens calibration like goggle glasses because the pixels in the monitor do all the focusing on the eye with HW and SW.

The only problem is this monitor technology doesn't exist yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

Re: An idea for technology to make a display for a VR headse

Post by JDuncan »

Today I looked at the angles needed to do this in real life and found that a right angle triangle could beam a light in a line from the rgb pixel and onto the mirror then from the mirror to the eye, but this is a plane mirror which works by line of sight, so this right triangle only works in one plane.

What I found is the mirror and rgb pixel need to tilt together so they stay on the same plane, then the rgb pixel always sends light onto the mirror.

Therefore a tilting mirror won't work because it's base is stationary.
If the left eye looks left, the rgb and mirror tilt to send light to the eye But if the mirror is in the center of the eye the mirror tilts but the base the mirror on is in the same position, so the mirror can't be in the position it needs to be so when the eye looks left the rgb pixel and mirror give the eye a direct line of sight to the rgb pixel.

Therefore base the mirror is on needs to move, the mirror itself doesn't need to tilt.

Inside a curved surface, the base needs to move around freely to move the flat mirror attached to the base, so that the rgb pixel and mirror send a beam of light in one plane to where the eye can see the rgb pixel.

The idea being thought through using a large watermelon sized single pixel solved what the pixel in lcd screen needs to do. Now to miniaturize this and make 1920x1080 resolution pixels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

Re: An idea for technology to make a display for a VR headse

Post by JDuncan »

Today I looked at the way the right triangle works and see the legs of the right triangle hold the pixel giving the rgb light, and the mirror receiving the rgb light, on one leg.

The other leg is used to measure the hypotenuse leaving the display as reflected light.

The way the right triangle moves and the reason both the mirror and rgb pixel are fused together is to link the leg holding the mirror and pixel to a pin like arcade joystick that's robotic controlled to move the leg and so beam the reflected logically.

The robotic pin joystick that moves the leg is where the right angle square is in the right triangle.

When the light leaves the display it has to go through a axis plane, that works like a window on a house does.
In the house there is a person looking out the window at a stationary car parked outside the house, and the person standing in one spot moves their body around to see the car move because they are moving their body.
This is the mechanism the display uses to send light to the eye.

So a beam of light is sent to the rotating eye which means the beam is a straight line moving in 180 degrees of vertical and horizontal freedom on one side of the axis window, and again 180 degrees of freedom on the other side of the axis window.

It may not be 180 degrees, I thought about how to find the proper degree but I don't know how with this much idea so far.

It works like a teeter totter that moves on a bar in the middle of the plank you sit on and you move up and down.

The axis I think would be best would be bulbs over each eye so you get the fly eye look. Then with the fly eye cups over each eye the display would send the image through the cups and the person would see the image on the cups.
But it may be a flat surface that covers both eyes and the light is send through on a single plane to each eye so fly eye cups wouldn't be used.

The reason for the joystick pin to move the leg around is for latency, because the eye can twitch around pretty fast and having to situate both the pixel and mirror individually would introduce latency when compared to the joystick mechanism I described.

To sum it up, a pair of heat outputting contact lenses are worn, and they sit on one sit of the axis window, the other side of the axis window is the display. The display works be a right triangle measured to send a reflected beam of light out to the axis window. The distance to the widow is measured so each pixel in the display logically sits on the window to produce a picture.

The reasoning is if one big screen is in front of the two eyes at once, then by the pixel light being sent on a plane using a plane mirror to each eye individually, you would get the stereoscopic 3D effect.

Based on the eye position the pixel owns a spot in 3d space in the vr world, then based on the head position the pixel owns another 3d spot in the vr world, and the pixel changes depending on the eye and or head position to produce vr presence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4QcyW-qTUg

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”