ColorCross/NEJE LJ-01 Universal Virtual Reality 3D Glasses

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
rktboy
One Eyed Hopeful

ColorCross/NEJE LJ-01 Universal Virtual Reality 3D Glasses

Post by rktboy »

Hi there. Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

This post is in regards to the "ColorCross Universal Virtual Reality 3D & Video Glasses for 4~7" Smartphones" HMD which I purchased at dx.com (http://www.dx.com/p/colorcross-universa ... ack-336607) which, as near as I can tell, are identical to the "NEJE LG-01 Universal Google Virtual Reality 3D Glasses for 4~7" Smartphones" which can also be found on dx.com (http://www.dx.com/p/neje-lj-01-universa ... _ZrCPmSxEI)

I haven't seen any reviews of these online so I thought I'd share my experience with mine which arrived only yesterday. I'm relatively new to HMD's so please forgive any terminology I may get wrong. My first HMD was a Durovis Dive which is the only other HMD I've had experience with. In both devices, I am using my Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

I purchased the Durovis Dive a couple of weeks back and, while it was a neat first foray into the world of HMD’s, I wanted something better. One of the issues was that it was too small for my phone. A fact which I was aware of before purchasing but I was able to make some minor modifications to get it to work.

My first impression of the ColorCross HMD was that it was much sturdier than I had anticipated. Even more so than the Dive. The lenses are much bigger too and, while I think the FOV is about the same, any distortion around the periphery is greatly reduced over the Dive.

My phone fits perfectly into the device, although the power and volume controls are completely obstructed. Another issue is that the phone’s screen is completely enclosed within the HMD leaving you with no access to the touch screen (I used a keyboard and mouse sharing application called ShareKMS to get around this). My phone is held in place surprisingly securely but I’m not sure how long the “ratcheting” mechanism which clamps down on the phone will hold up to repeated adjusting. I would have preferred some sort of spring loaded mechanism. While the description of the device on the dx.com website claims that it will hold phones up to 7”, I think my phone is about the biggest device you’d want to put in it. I can’t imagine that a 7” phone/tablet with any sort of bezel at all would fit in here.

The lenses are fully adjustable and I was able to set them up to overcome my nearsightedness without having to wear glasses or contacts. IPD can be adjusted on the device as well. I’m not sure what the minimum is but I know I have an IPD of 63mm and I have to adjust them about 3mm short of their maximum throw. The mechanism to adjust the IPD is a bit loose on mine but I should be able to fix that with a bit of Bluetack. The quality of the lenses seems pretty decent although I only have the Dive to compare them to.

Comfort is a bit of an issue. The Dive came with a pretty comfy pad to support the device against your face but the ColorCross has only a very thin rubber “gasket” (for lack of a better word). Wearing the device became pretty uncomfortable after about an hour and I may end up cannibalizing the pad from the Dive. The head strap isn’t quite as nice as the one that came with the Dive but that’s a small gripe. Worth noting however is that the ColorCross did include an over-the-head strap which was absent on the Dive.

All in all, I’m really pleased with this purchase and, for only $40, it’s a bit of a no-brainer if you have a use for it. VR aside, it was great just to watch movies on and is at least as good as any personal cinema viewer I’ve ever tried.

I have just placed an order for a 7” 1280x800 LCD screen which I intend to mount permanently in the ColorCross for use as a display for my PC as the start of a sort of “Hackulus Rift” project which is what I purchased the ColorCross for. After my experience using it with my phone, I now intend to but a second one solely for use with my phone as well.

I’m happy to answer any questions anyone has.

Thanks for reading!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Re: ColorCross/NEJE LJ-01 Universal Virtual Reality 3D Glass

Post by Dilip »

Note 2 is 5.5 inch 1280X720 Display which is equal to that of DK1
i think you should try other Full HD mobiles for more better output

If you are planning tablet i would suggest 5.5/6" At least Full HD
or
2560X1440 if you could get one.

I have few questions if you could answer them,,,,

1 How much is optical distortion? Can you see edges and corner properly?

2 Is there any chromatic aberration?

3 How much FoV is there,compare to Durovis Dive?

4 Can you correct aspect ratio in movies or crop them from sides to make them compatible?

Attaching distortion explaining image to confirm what i meant.
Have you tried ShadowGun VR?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

I'm also interested in it, price is very good.
For only a few minutes is it comfortable enough?
How about entering light inside?
It comes with any mobile adaptor for different sizes phones?
How many apps are for android which support SBS 3D
and gyroscope movement at the same time?
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

anybody?
kill_dano
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kill_dano »

I've got one. Overall it's really good and I'm happy with it. I've got a galaxy S5, and I play PC games on it with freetrack mouse emu for head movement, and limelight for game streaming via the router.

The only other one I've used is unofficial cardboard, and this is about 5x better. Image is sharp. holds the phone tight.
I'll answer your questions:

1 How much is optical distortion? Can you see edges and corner properly?

2 Is there any chromatic aberration?

3 How much FoV is there,compare to Durovis Dive?

4 Can you correct aspect ratio in movies or crop them from sides to make them compatible?

1: It's sharp. IDK how else to describe it. The corners get blury, but it's way better than cardboard.
2: Maybe on the edges.
3: I hear it's a bit smaller. Never used a Dive.
4: I do this with MXplayer by changing an SBS movie's aspect to something like 3:1 or 4:1 using the custom aspect option in the menu.

As for your image, I'd say it's mostly not distorted. Maybe like 5% distortion.

I did do the shadowgun demo. Looks sick.
Last edited by kill_dano on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

Great, how about entering light inside? It it 100% dark?

"I've got a galaxy S5, and I play PC games on it "

Uups, that's a whole new thing to me.
Can you play a PC game on a phone?
Or the phone is just a display?
Please say more about this thing. Do you have some link,
or setup tutorial?

thx
kill_dano
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kill_dano »

relaxman wrote:Great, how about entering light inside? It it 100% dark?
"I've got a galaxy S5, and I play PC games on it "
Uups, that's a whole new thing to me.
Can you play a PC game on a phone?
Or the phone is just a display?
Please say more about this thing. Do you have some link,
or setup tutorial?
Here's a good guide to follow for PC games:
http://www.durovis.com/board/viewtopic. ... ef51bf9eae

You're mirroring the display of the PC. Another good app to look into (cuts down the setup time) IS Trinus Gyre. Play store link for demo: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rinus.test

Mine doesn't let in any light cause I added padding to the sides. Normally it doesn't have any padding, just a rubber gasket. It's uncomfortable. I made padding by cutting and gluing a set of bose QC15 ear pads. Here's a pic of me looking sexy with it
WIN_20140831_155818.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

thanks
i think i will order 'cos i think there is no better solution at this price
gigajosh
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gigajosh »

Thanks for the hands-on info folks. I signed up just so I could drop this ebay link.. only $10 including delivery!
I'm not selling them, but I ended up here after spotting the ebay listing and wanting to find out more about them ;)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arduino-Android ... 1295714138
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

I don't find a buy it now button...
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

Which phone is best recommended for this device?
(high resolution and fast head tracking)
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@kill_dano

Thanks!
catman252
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by catman252 »

really looking for something I can use for my nexus 7 , this looks like it could work . Maybe it would take a dremel here or there AND maybe a way to secure the device . Can any one give their 2 cents on this ? nexus screen is right at 7 inches if you have another uniut that would perform better please advise .. thanks in advance
catman252
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by catman252 »

btw you can get these 32-35.00 shipped from the china sights . link above is for a auction so it will def go up . also there has been people adding washer and magnet to the design to have the google cardboard effect ,
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

hm, what's this google cardboard effect?
what does the magnet do?
catman252
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by catman252 »

I assume almost like right clicking a mouse .. tilt your head to cycle through options click magnet to accept your choice kinda deal
catman252
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by catman252 »

Here's a video to show how to attach magnet parts it doesn't go into great depth but maybe something we can use to mod them Colorcross Magnet Parts: http://youtu.be/VgR2k--Rfvw
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

Wow, great!
What is the name of app which set the phone to SBS format?
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

It's $32 now on ebay link. LOL.
I ordered a cardboard too for $5 because of the magnets.
Can't wait to have it :geek:
catman252
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by catman252 »

there was a guy selling on with magnets in the us but think they were looking for 48.00 . going rate on ebay is @ 35 with free shipping but from china . I picked up one for 42.00 with free shipping from usa so ill get it tonmorrow . I already have cardboard so nwill try the magnets out . Maybe we can come up with a good alternative on using the magnets ,. BTW my hope is to mod this too fit a nexus 7 . the lens come out and can be flipped around to allow a greater convex? i think thats right <-----
JuxtaThePozer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JuxtaThePozer »

Hey guys,

First post here :-)

So I recently bought a ColorCross headset and got Trinus Gyre and Vireio Perception working in conjunction with my Galaxy S5, playing Half-Life 2 over Wi-Fi.

There is latency of at least a couple hundred milliseconds which is untenable for VR but as a proof of concept it was a worthwhile test. Next step is to wait for my USB 3.0 cable to arrive in the mail and try Trinus Gyre in USB tethered mode.

Anyone else have some results to post with this setup?

Cheers,
Juxta
Last edited by JuxtaThePozer on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unclebob
Cross Eyed!

Post by Unclebob »

Hi guys

can someone try Orbulus and let me know your thoughts.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ks.Orbulus

We have reduced the FOV as people thought warping at the edges was a little extreme.

There is a PC and Mac versions on the Oculus boards if you feel like running a comparison.

Would be interesting to know your thoughts and findings, sometimes understanding the differences is really useful.

Cheers
Unclebob
UB

Don't try this at home folks....
Arno1992
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Arno1992 »

My phone fits perfectly into the device, although the power and volume controls are completely obstructed. Another isI have just placed an order for a 7” 1280x800 LCD screen which I intend to mount permanently in the ColorCross for use as a display for my PC as the start of a sort of “Hackulus Rift” project which is what I purchased the ColorCross for. After my experience using it with my phone, I now intend to but a second one solely for use with my phone as well.

Thanks for reading!
Hey,
Just a questions, Where did You buy This screen? :) I have also bought the ColorCross! Looking forward to recieving it!
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

Lol, I am about to order one of these thought wow amazing price on DX, actually they are massively overcharging..

https://www.chinavasion.com/china/whole ... martphone/

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Head-Mou ... 45475.html

tbh I think this deff has it all....
Gavincol78
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gavincol78 »

I have recently got myself 1 of these via ebay for around £20 and in my initial thoughts it is great.

There is a small issue I have overcome though, I have got a Galaxy Note 3 and whilst the phone fits very well in this I personally have a slight issue but isn't purely down to hardware. I am quite short sighted but I can wear this without glasses due to the adjustable lenses and they have to be screwed as close to phone as possible which had pointed to a small issue with the lens holder. I have noticed that the long flat bit of plastic from the threads causes a bit of an obstruction to the viewing angle when viewed with phones larger then 5.5" so I have made the following modification which has helped out a fair amount.

Image[/url]2014-11-06 17.18.29 by gavincol78, on Flickr[/img]
ttt888
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ttt888 »

rktboy wrote:
I have just placed an order for a 7” 1280x800 LCD screen which I intend to mount permanently in the ColorCross for use as a display for my PC as the start of a sort of “Hackulus Rift” project which is what I purchased the ColorCross for. After my experience using it with my phone, I now intend to but a second one solely for use with my phone as well.

Thanks for reading!
Have you already tried this?
Because I am also thinking of making something myself.
You can easily order a 7 inch with controller for a hdmi support.
However i think the 7 inch will not fit in the colour cross vr glasses, am I right?

So I am searching for a 6 inch screen and it will have to go at a minimum resolution of 1280 x 800, I think for a good view.
But these are not easy to find, 5 inches are but then the resolution be at 640 x 480....
Gavincol78
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gavincol78 »

ttt888 wrote:
rktboy wrote:

Thanks for reading!
However i think the 7 inch will not fit in the colour cross vr glasses, am I right?

So I am searching for a 6 inch screen and it will have to go at a minimum resolution of 1280 x 800, I think for a good view.
But these are not easy to find, 5 inches are but then the resolution be at 640 x 480....
Adafruit do a 5.6" kit for around $140 http://www.adafruit.com/product/1666

Also I have found this on ebay of which I have on my watch list for when I have the money http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251567695327? ... EBIDX%3AIT
ttt888
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ttt888 »

Gavincol78 wrote:
ttt888 wrote:
rktboy wrote:

Thanks for reading!

Adafruit do a 5.6" kit for around $140 http://www.adafruit.com/product/1666

Also I have found this on ebay of which I have on my watch list for when I have the money http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251567695327? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Thanks for the info bro..
I also found the following displays;
http://topfoison.com/product/6.0inch-14 ... splay.html or http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrathin-Full- ... 4adc6d4a65

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD-7-Inch-1280- ... rkt%3D4%26

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-6inch-TFT-LCD ... 1c3274b928

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251567695327? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Maybe something like this for the printplate... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enclosure-Case- ... 1025517579
ttt888
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ttt888 »

cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

I recently purchased a new Note 4 phone, and was eager to try it for VR because of its 2,560 x 1,440 resolution. I tried it with Google Cardboard, but the phone was way too big. I modified it, but it still did not work well. I am not certain way, but perhaps it was because the screen was offset vertically too far from center.

So, I ordered a $25 ColorCross headset. It will accept a note 4, but it is a bit of a tight fit even without a case. And putting it in naked is obviously going to scratch the trim of the phone, since you must slidt it against some hard plastic. Also, once it is inside, there is no way to access the screen. It is very difficult to get it inside without accidentally activating the volume or power button, which means you need to press the screen to get the VR application going. A minor irritation is that the plastic in the middle that divides the screen is glossy, and so it reflects the screen.

Regarding fit, since the nose cut-out was obviously designed for Asian noses, it sits quite uncomfortably on my nose. The padding is almost useless. But, perhaps adding some additional gasket material it will solve the problem with the nose also, since it will put it a little further from my face.

One person reported a problem using his, because its 75mm focal-lenght lenses were not strong enough. Mine work fine, even with my 50-year-old eyes. So, perhaps my version came with stronger lenses. There was no label on the package, and no literature of any kind, so I would not be surprised to learn if it were different from the official ColorCross packaging.

As for operation the system once the phone is in place, it does not have a provision for the magnetic interface, so you really can only use it with some other sort of device. But, I don't know what sort of device to get. Perhaps some sort of bluetooth remote.

When everything is in place, and working, it is wonderful to look at. My note displayed the Tuscany program wonderfully when I first installed it. But, as the number of applications I installed on the phone has grown, the image will tend to jitter as I move around,and there are more errors on the display. I don't know the trigger for these problems, and am concerned about them, since they may make the phone un-usable for VR if they get any worse.

-Joe
Gavincol78
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gavincol78 »

The issue I had between my Note 3 and my eyes wasn't down to focal length but down to the extended plastic obstructing the focal angle as I have to have the lenses screwed all the way down so it is as close to phone as possible so the flat plastic started causing an obstruction. But I am now sorted as I have changed my Note 3 for an Xperia Z2 and in my opinion (for me) much better especially having the native PS3 and PS4 controller usability without having to root the phone, also for my eyes the Xperia Z2 (being 5.2") has a much better viewable size and angle along with a higher pixel rate. But like with most things it is down to personal preference and down to individual eye strengths and weaknesses as my eyes need a 4 degree out prism due to family history of 'lazy eye'.
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

I dug up an old WiiMote, and tried to pair it with my Note 4, that has Android 4.4, but no success. I have read that updates to Android's bluetooth drivers have broken all the WiiMote applications. There doesn't seem to be any sort of fix.

-Joe
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

http://m.ebay.com/itm/130903356387

At $20 these are decent quality if u wish to try.

How is FoV? Do colorcross has resin aspheric or they are biconvex lenses like cardboard?
How is magnification Compared to cardboard? My experience with cardboard and xperia sp was visually
Amazing even though it was just 720p. Like to know your findings.

Install only apps with review and highest rating. Keep watch on free memory. Clean up phone regularly with good app of your choice.
Always keep 25% of each storage ( ram/internal/card) free to work instrument flawlessly. Always use class10 memory card they are worth their price.
Turn off data before launching app also increases performance is self experience.Hope this will help.
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

The lenses are bi-convex, though I am not really knowledgeable enough about lenses to say if they have other features. The focal length seems to be approximately the same as the Google-Cardboard set I have from a 3rd party. But, the ColorCross holds the phone about 1/2" further away. This is with the lenses at their furtherest in. They can be adjusted closer to the wearer by about 1/4". I know my measurement was not the most accurate, it was simply by aiming the lens at a light about 7ft away, and moving a sheet of paper until it is in focus. On the Google cardboard version, it is approx 1/2" beyond the cardboard that they get into focus.

As for running Tuscany Dive, I just learned that touching the screen will "change the scene" meaning that you can turn off the flame, butterflies, and water fountain. I thought it means that it would take me to a different location, and just assumed that wasn't working. But, it was just effects on the scene. That is what was bogging down my system. But, thanks for the other suggestions, I will certainly keep them in mind. My old phone seemed to suffer greatly from apps I (or the mfg) loaded.

-Joe
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Had you not purchased already i would have suggested these
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 94061.html

Better optics ;)
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

Dilip, I actually ran across those VR goggles, but the web site is confusing. Further down the page, in the product description, they show a regular cardboard version with a $45 price tag. Then they describe the goggles as "this is plastic cardboard ". I didn't know what would arrive in the mail if I ordered from them.

Do those have adjustable focus and/or an inter-ocular adjustment?

-Joe
JoeyEdwards13
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JoeyEdwards13 »

Hey guys,

My Colorcross arrived today and having also used a DK1 Oculus and a large version of Google cardboard I can honestly say the visuals with the Colorcross are by far the best. There was a terrible blurring around the edges with the other two where as I can see everything in the frame in really crisp detail with the Colorcross.

The problem however is I'm using a 5.5" phone in it. This is excellent for my FOV meaning I only have a thin black fuzz around the edge of my visuals that I instantly forget is even there....but...the weight of the phone and the shape of the Colorcross is killing my face.

I can use it for about 15 minutes before the weight on my nose and cheek bones becomes too much.

Has anyone else with one had this problem and how have you got around it? Does extra padding help much? I thought the strap on the top would take some of the weight but it doesn't seem to be helping a whole lot. :cry:
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

I wish I could vouch them. Aliexpress is fair in shipping and seller is
sort of power seller with two diamonds in rating n 1390 sales. By images they shown and my knowledge
Of characteristics of aspheric lenses I suggested these nd of course a decent past experience of aliexpress.

Seemingly decent rest you can ask shipper as I too didn't used this thing.
Didn't you find similar thing from where you purchased colorcross?
As they all have same pedigree.
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

Which phone is the cheapest recommended?

- 4-5" screen with min. 1280 resolution
- has magnetic/compass sensor
- work with vrplayer for watching 3D 360 photos/videos

thanks
JoeyEdwards13
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JoeyEdwards13 »

relaxman wrote:Which phone is the cheapest recommended?

- 4-5" screen with min. 1280 resolution
- has magnetic/compass sensor
- work with vrplayer for watching 3D 360 photos/videos

thanks
I'd probably say the Cubot S222. It's got a big 5" screen, 1280 res, nice and fast for the apps and has a gyro. Really cheap for what you get compared to most devices.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”