ColorCross/NEJE LJ-01 Universal Virtual Reality 3D Glasses

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Re: ColorCross/NEJE LJ-01 Universal Virtual Reality 3D Glass

Post by Dilip »

1. MOTO G Gen2

Gen 1 has no gyro
Besides 5" is more immersive.

Motorola More standard brand cubot some what fishy.
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

Just got a HTC One x.
Screen is 4.7" with 1280x720 resolution.
I think more than 5" screen is useless for this device,
you cannot see more because of the lens.
I can say, 720p is the MINIMUM, pixels is visible,
but acceptable. 5" with fullhd could be the best device.
Anyway FOV is not so great, i'm not feel i'm IN the game.
(i feeled it with oculus DK1)
Often the plastic center frame of the NEJE mirror the screen edge.
Any solution? Some material on it?

Phone has 4 cores with 1GB ram, head movement latency
is different in different application.
With heros360 player, tuscany demo or rollercoaster is just
acceptable, but with finwe "video ball", speed is amazing.
You should try it! It's a 360 video viewer, and movement
is perfect.
TC360 wont start on my phone.

What about vrplayer? I use it on my i7-PC, it's free, but the speed is
not so good. Latest update was in januar :( what's with it?
The android version is better? Should i buy it? No demoi here :(
What about latency?

Any other player out there?

thanks a lot!
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

Nobody use this device? :(

I played today with it. I still not feel, i'm in the game.
I also have a google cardboard. That's not worked out of the box with my HTC phone.
The two pictures in the lens was way different. Maybe my 4.7" phone
is to small for it? I disassembled, and grab the lenses out.
Cut another holes to a paper, but 1 cm nearer to each other. Fasten the lenses.
Now it's much better. I start feeling i'm in the game. Maybe the
lens magnification is bigger than neje's lens? Yes, pixels is even more visible,
but the impression is better! Now i have to make a holder. Maybe replace neje lens somehow?
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

relaxman wrote:Nobody use this device? :(

I played today with it. I still not feel, i'm in the game.
I also have a google cardboard. That's not worked out of the box with my HTC phone.
The two pictures in the lens was way different. Maybe my 4.7" phone
is to small for it? I disassembled, and grab the lenses out.
Cut another holes to a paper, but 1 cm nearer to each other. Fasten the lenses.
Now it's much better. I start feeling i'm in the game. Maybe the
lens magnification is bigger than neje's lens? Yes, pixels is even more visible,
but the impression is better! Now i have to make a holder. Maybe replace neje lens somehow?
The problem with the "presence" factor you are looking for maybe that the screen size + the lenses are not suitable to get you the right FOV.

For you to get a respectable FOV you will need the lenses that match the smaller display. What FOV are you getting?
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

I don't know the exact numbers , but if DK1 horizontal fov was around 100 degrees,
then neje's is around 70 and with cardboard lens it's around 85.

You say that NEJE's lenses are designed for bigger than 4.7" screen?
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

relaxman wrote:I don't know the exact numbers , but if DK1 horizontal fov was around 100 degrees,
then neje's is around 70 and with cardboard lens it's around 85.

You say that NEJE's lenses are designed for bigger than 4.7" screen?

Whatever lenses you are using aren't suitable enough. You will need more magnification to compensate for the much smaller screen. The DK1 has a decent FOV due to the display been very large and 16:10 aspect ratio.
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
cert
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cert »

Maybe this one is worth trying with the Note 4:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-Newe ... 26734.html

When i'm holding the DK2 lens set (lens B) in front of the Note 4 the resolution is still not good enough for enjoying SBS movies and chromatic abberation is a problem. I don't know what FOV i will get with the MAX Cardboard. A smaller FOV could be better for watching movies.
JoeyEdwards13
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JoeyEdwards13 »

Dilip wrote:1. MOTO G Gen2

Gen 1 has no gyro
Besides 5" is more immersive.

Motorola More standard brand cubot some what fishy.
Hi,

So i broke my old phone and remembered this thread and bought a Moto G Gen2 and......the gyroscope is almost unusable. All the apps designed for it shake like crazy as you use them. I tried to calibrate the gyro/compass and nothing worked. Then before i sent it back to the factory i di some looking around online and it seems this is the case for everyone.

I was just hoping that maybe you had one that wasn't doing this and could maybe suggest why it's glitching out so badly? It seems to be such a common problem I don't know why I can't find a fix.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

I own Moto G gen1 it has no gyro only accelerometer.I had purchased it some 8 months back. By then t
It was best mobile with 329 PPI screen and Snapdragon 400 soc @$200. I even love it today. You can find in my old posts I had clearly mentioned Moto G gen1.

Suggested moto g gen2 as I did used of my friend and it has gyroscope. Over all moto g has good build quality and hardware when compared to unknown brand cubot.it was apparently OK I used in brief period.if you find faulty piece that's regrate.sure it may be not on par with galaxy s5 but its not so terrible that can't be used at least for model I tried with cardboard.
JoeyEdwards13
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JoeyEdwards13 »

Dilip wrote:I own Moto G gen1 it has no gyro only accelerometer.I had purchased it some 8 months back. By then t
It was best mobile with 329 PPI screen and Snapdragon 400 soc @$200. I even love it today. You can find in my old posts I had clearly mentioned Moto G gen1.

Suggested moto g gen2 as I did used of my friend and it has gyroscope. Over all moto g has good build quality and hardware when compared to unknown brand cubot.it was apparently OK I used in brief period.if you find faulty piece that's regrate.sure it may be not on par with galaxy s5 but its not so terrible that can't be used at least for model I tried with cardboard.
Yeah other than the gyro the phone is fantastic. Just a shame that the gyro was one of the main reasons for buying it. Here's a video of what i mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMzN6GIEtjs

Seems everyone i can find with a 2nd gen has this issue.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Dilip wrote:Suggested moto g gen2 as I did used of my friend and it has gyroscope.
When i said i did used. Indeed i did used before recommending.

Attaching pic of my MOTO G Gen1.

Attaching video of TILTBRUSH APP.

i have tried following apps before recommending

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... arSystemVR
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tsimulator

There was not unusual jumpiness in this apps. Experience was good.

May be Moto G Gen2 has something to do with Cardboard APP as other many apps work just fine.
Not absolute accurate GYRO but then Pretty Usable indeed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hexdro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hexdro »

Just a quick question before I buy a Color Cross. Does the Nexus 4 fit inside the Color Cross well? And if so has anyone personally done it, etc? :)

I plan on using the Nexus 4 with the Trinus Gyre. :D
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

I have a 4.7" phone, but i think a 5 or 5.2 is the best for colorcross,
beacuse of wider FOV! And fullhd if cou can afford.
Hexdro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hexdro »

relaxman wrote:I have a 4.7" phone, but i think a 5 or 5.2 is the best for colorcross,
beacuse of wider FOV! And fullhd if cou can afford.
Oh what phone do you use?
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

HTC One x
naeem86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by naeem86 »

Hi guys, I wanna buy the colorcross but I've been reading that u can see the divider in between when u watch the screen. Is that true? I don't see anyone talking about this issue here but only person.
Secondly, I came across people saying that the phone is too far from the lense. Can anyone give me more details with that? Is this annoying or its meant to be that way? Or its simply not true?:)
Thirdly, I wana watch mostly 3d movies with it. So if I have an sbs video, can I use mxplayer to view it with the goggle or I only need apps like vr cinema? Also I wana know how big is the screen when viewing the video inside the goggle?
Hope someone can enlighten me on that. Its gonna be my first vr experience. :P btw am gonna use a galaxy note2, 5.5inches, with the goggle.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Cheers
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

I have ColorCross that I purchased to use with my Note 4. The Note 4 is a bit too big for the ColorCross. It might actually fit tightly, but I never tried it, since I was concerned that the phone would be scratched. The distance to the screen, vs. the focal length seems to be correct, and also has a little bit of adjustment by screwing the lenses in our out. The lenses can also be slid left or right a little.

The biggest weakness is that there is no provision for interacting with the phone, once it is in the ColorCross. So, you need some means to operate the phone. I purchase a Bluetooth game interface for that, but it does not work with any VR applications I have tried.

Overall, I suspect that the market will be flooded with low cost alternatives soon.

-Joe
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

I also buyed a cheap, clone sixaxis gamepad from ebay, but
my phone doesn't see it. I have to root my HTC.
As i know vrplayer support gamepad control. Is it true?
naeem86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by naeem86 »

Thanks for the quick replies guys. But you didnt say if u see the divider in between? Some reviews I've read say its like seeing in a tunnel. Is it like that?
Also what about the app to view 3d movies? Can I play a side by side video on mx player or I need to buy apps like vrplayer or vr cinema?
And lastly how big is the screen? I have a 27 inch 3d monitor. Will it be the same as the monitor or better?
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

Personally I don't notice the divider. Though, you can detect a bit of it at the perimeter of your vision. I really don't think it is an issue.

Unless a HMD can show you the full range of vision your eye can see, something has to limit your range of vision. Either it the lens or the housing must have an edge to it. Though if the lens really is what is limiting your field of vision, the edges would be out of focus.

Again, the big issue with the ColorCross, is the challenge of operating the phone while it is in the headset. The only things I can get to work are the VR apps that allow you to look around, or to move in the direction you are looking. That is all I can do.

I think I paid $25 for mine, and consider it worth the price.

-Joe
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

For me the divider was a problem.
It was black but glossy, i saw picture reflections. I use a sandpaper to make it matte :)
Now it is better, but i don't know will it be even better when removing
the whole divider. I picked up the lenses and tested to holding in front of my
eyes, look at my phone, and it was good, withoud the divider.

Yes, i see a little tunnel, maybe the lens holder is too long. I don't know how to shorten it without broken.

Any app will do which support side by side view. Or a simple video player (mx) when the video is already in sidebyside format..
Vrplayer is great for 2D/3D 360 pictures and movies. I really like it see my aerial 360 panos in NEJE.
Also vrplayer support BT gamepad, keyboard, gestures (head movement), and also voice command!

The virtual screen is not so big. If you watched Oculus dk1 or dk2, this will be worse. Much worse. I don't feel i'm in the game. And is see the pixels, fullhd display is a must have!

Also NEJE will be uncomfortable after a few minutes, i also have to make some modification.

hope it helped
naeem86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by naeem86 »

Yea using sand paper is a good idea. :D Looks like you guys made me wanna get it. :) Found one for $15 on aliexpress. I'll give it a try.
But it kinda sucks if it's not that big screen. Have u tried those vr cinema apps? I saw people using google cardboard on youtube and they are like woaaah..the screen is huge.
As for using my phone inside the colorcross, some say use a bluetooth mouse. Does it work?
Thanks very much for these precious details though. :D You guys rock!
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

The problem with watching 3D movies designed for standard screens, is that the aspect ratio is totally wrong. I would rather give up the stereo and watch 2D with the proper aspect ratio, rather than have so much of the image trimmed off.

-Joe
naeem86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by naeem86 »

Yea ikr. Only animation movies use the fullscreen. But can u watch 2d movies on colorcross? U need those vr apps I think? Or u can use mxplayer?
What do u use ur colorcross for mainly?
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

The only way to view stuff using the ColorCross or any other similar product, is by having the image split into a left and right image. They can be the same image, and then you won't get the stereoscopic effect. But, you cannot watch a movie that has its image across the entire screen. Of course, in the process of displaying the image twice, each image is half the horizontal resolution and size.

The primary thing I use it for, is to create frustration, since I can't get it to work for any VR applications except the ones that allow me to walk through an environment.

-Joe
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

cadcoke5 wrote:The primary thing I use it for, is to create frustration, since I can't get it to work for any VR applications except the ones that allow me to walk through an environment.

:lol:

That's NAKED TRUTH... ;)

There is no simple (no fuss) way to enjoy PC grade VR as of now.Cardboard APPs are still DEMO Class.
Gear VR with Note4 is wallet buster.

May be OSVR and RAZOR may change it by JUNE 15.
Their hmd do not need warping so standard SBS can work...That's good news. ;)
naeem86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by naeem86 »

But you cant use a bluetooth gamepad to control the phone? I saw people saying they use cheap bluetooth gamepad to control the phone when in the vr.
Good thing am only looking for movies. That too..hope I wouldn't be deceived. You guys gave me hope at first. But now it seems it kinda sucks. :D
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

I wonder if there is a way to do shutter glasses on a phone. That would be the better way to watch stereoscopic movies. You might search for that first. The ColorCross, or any other VR headset is really not optimal for watching movies. I think you will not like the reduction in resolution they cause.

You might simply watch them on the full screen. If you want the big screen effect for watching movies, and are not naturally nearsighted, then you will need to have some lenses to be able to bring the screen close enough. But, Dollar Store type of reading glasses may be the $1 solution.

I know some phones were announced in the past that had auto-stereoscopic screens. But, I don't know if they went anywhere. You might experiment with Red/Blue (Anaglyph) type of glasses with Youtube videos. And while I was able to find Anaglyph movies on Youtube, I didn't find any settings for the video player that allowed me to turn it on or off. So, that suggests that the movie is not a stereoscopic movie that can be set to play back in a variety of formats, but rather is actually playing Anaglyph directly. That would significantly reduce the number of movies you could view in Anaglyph stereo.

-Joe
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

YouTube has a bunch of 3D movies, but the 3D settings menu is not available on the latest HTML5 player.

See this post about forcing Flash: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 01#p156688

However, I'm not sure that helps at all for mobile.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

This may interest you.

http://techau.com.au/google-is-adding-3 ... w-cameras/

Provided you have mobile with gyro, 360 video enjoyable even at colorcross level VR ;)
naeem86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by naeem86 »

cadcoke5 wrote:I wonder if there is a way to do shutter glasses on a phone. That would be the better way to watch stereoscopic movies. You might search for that first. The ColorCross, or any other VR headset is really not optimal for watching movies. I think you will not like the reduction in resolution they cause.

You might simply watch them on the full screen. If you want the big screen effect for watching movies, and are not naturally nearsighted, then you will need to have some lenses to be able to bring the screen close enough. But, Dollar Store type of reading glasses may be the $1 solution.

I know some phones were announced in the past that had auto-stereoscopic screens. But, I don't know if they went anywhere. You might experiment with Red/Blue (Anaglyph) type of glasses with Youtube videos. And while I was able to find Anaglyph movies on Youtube, I didn't find any settings for the video player that allowed me to turn it on or off. So, that suggests that the movie is not a stereoscopic movie that can be set to play back in a variety of formats, but rather is actually playing Anaglyph directly. That would significantly reduce the number of movies you could view in Anaglyph stereo.

-Joe
Am a bit lost here. You mean that watching a 3d movie on a 3dtv is different from watching a 3d movie on colorcross?
I mean in terms of resolution.
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

On a 3D TV, each eye sees the image spanning the entire screen. The can do that because the LCD shutter glasses will black out one eye, while the other eye can see the image desigated for it. And, then the image on the screen will change to the other eye when the LCD shutter glasses switch to the other eye.

On things like the ColorCross or Oculus Rift, the left eye's image is placed on the left side of the phone's screen, and the same for the right eye. So, each eye only gets to see half of the screen and half the resolution. Also, the image each eye sees is mostly square, but most movies for TV are designed to be almost twice as wide as they are tall.

There are some 3D movies that were designed to be viewed on things like the ColorCross, so those were filmed with the aspect ration in mind. But, if you convert a film made for TV or the movie theater, to view on the ColorCross, I don't think it will result in a great viewing experience.

-Joe
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

cadcoke5 wrote:On things like the ColorCross or Oculus Rift, the left eye's image is placed on the left side of the phone's screen, and the same for the right eye. So, each eye only gets to see half of the screen and half the resolution.

Half of the resolution is true. but its not exactly half image. you can always set aspect ratio to wide doing this will even reduce image size as 25% of above and below letterbox of movie you will use 1/4 of total available display visual assets for each eye. that's pure wastage of available screen pixels. But wide movie available that way.

see the example of what i mean,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNHkQrYTzbA (default will open anaglyph, but you can select SBS mode)
if you play this clip in MX Player at 85% of screen size it will play in letterbox mode for each eye put it in cardboard and enjoy(though i don't say download and play...as i cant say that ;) even if its better)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... m.pps.mo3d
This app has option to change aspect ratio (if your clip does not show default wide ration but that vertically stretched one)...and lenses distortion correction too.

Though end result will be smaller pic but it will be wide, not 3:2 yet smaller.

Though i wont say its on par with 42 inch 3D LED. so IMHO 3D TV is still unbeatable in terms of overall movie watching joy if you care of display fidelity < i absolutely do.>
Last edited by Dilip on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

You mean 144Hz 3D projector ;)
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

relaxman wrote:You mean 144Hz 3D projector ;)
That's Super Super luxury if money and place in your home/Work area allows it....... :mrgreen:
naeem86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by naeem86 »

But if 3d movies resolution is square, that means if u watch 2d movies, it will be the same too. As the image will be on 2 screens also.
But I dont understand why people never talk about this? Every video I watch on youtube about google cardboard, they are like wow..its amazing. Screen is so huge and so on. Thats why I was excited for the vr glasses. :(
Edit: one more thing..why is that if I watch a sbs video on apps like vr cinema or mo3d, I get 4 images. That is 2 images for each eye.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

If you get 4 images, it probably means you didn't select the 3D mode (the app thinks the SBS movie is 2D).
naeem86
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by naeem86 »

I don't see any 3d options in the apps. Anyway..it looks like I need to wait for the glasses to arrive for me to get to test it clearly.
VRguy857
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by VRguy857 »

I'm quite satisfied with the results i've got from these glasses so far. If your phone screen is below 5" like mine i would recommend adding another pair of lenses though, binocular ones for example should fit right in front of the already existing lens cups.

The screen's visible borders on both sides dissapeared completely from my FOV after i installed the second pair of lenses, i noticed a big improvement in terms of immersion too (even more so when you enable barrel distortion).

Screendoor is an issue of course as the magnification increases, right now i'm experimenting with different kinds of laminating pouches to adress this though and already got some good results too.
relaxman

Post by relaxman »

Do you have a link for that binocular lenses?
thx

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”