UNC and Nvidia collaborate on ‘pinlight display’

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

UNC and Nvidia collaborate on ‘pinlight display’

Post by JDuncan »

link to story; http://mobile.extremetech.com/internet/ ... eakthrough

They got it going but don't have eye tracking set up and they need it for this technology.

A while ago I showed how to set up a mirror that is on a base and the mirror is held on a stick that moves the mirror around and by moving the mirror around you would beam light onto the mirror then shine the lights off the mirror and onto what the mirror is pointing at.

This took a fancy type of mirror and lasers, but here in this story they don't use lasers but have the idea of pins which is functioning like the lasers I guess.

This way the led shines light and the mirror reflects the lights so it hits the eye where the eye rolls around in the persons head looking at stuff on the display.

But how does the mirror know where to point? And how does it move? I figured by having a pole in the base that holds the stick that holds the mirror, you would tie the stick in the base to magnets by there being a magnet on the stick in the base to magnets on the base floor, then by electromagnetically activating the magnets on the base floor you attract the magnet on the stick in the base which moves the stick around logically.

Then in the persons eye is a contact lens that has some more magnets and these lights up the wall behind the monitor, this can even be a infrared type illumination and the contact has points that get warm and they can be seen by the wall behind the display.

Then the persons eye rolls around and the eye is tracked by the wall behind the display and as the eye is tracked it shows where the eye is looking on the screen and so the mirror can shine light onto the eye by rotating.

That is my idea.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FMPrime
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: UNC and Nvidia collaborate on ‘pinlight display’

Post by FMPrime »

The pinlight display is fascinating. The full paper is available here: http://pinlights.info/
TomFahey
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TomFahey »

I'm surprised Nvidia hasn't tried to pursue a VR division, with Douglas Lanman heading it up.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

TomFahey wrote:I'm surprised Nvidia hasn't tried to pursue a VR division, with Douglas Lanman heading it up.
Haha, haven't you heard? Oculus hired Douglas Lanman months ago!

While the crescent bay's achromatic fresnel lens it pretty cool, the kind of light-field stuff that he's got up his sleeve will really shake things up.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”