WASD with cellphone gyrometer/ecelometer or what have you

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
J0ps
One Eyed Hopeful

WASD with cellphone gyrometer/ecelometer or what have you

Post by J0ps »

Hello all,

I've been a long time lurker and dreamer of VR. Anyway, I'm trying to suppliment some of my tinkerings with the ability to use my cellphone basically as a convoluted WASD - In a sense, strap my phone or ipod to my leg and walk/run in place to make my game character move with me.

I've seen some posts around here in the past of people doing just this, but I cannot seem to find them easily and it is driving me crazy. Any help greatly appreciated, thank you
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: WASD with cellphone gyrometer/ecelometer or what have yo

Post by cybereality »

With a phone you may be able to detect walking motion (basically like a gesture recognition). You can also use accelerations to detect broad direction movement. It will probably never be as accurate as just pressing a key on a keyboard, but it may work good enough for some purposes. Unfortunately, I've never tried this so I can't give you many tips beyond this.
J0ps
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by J0ps »

Thats what I was thinking, and I know someone pulled it off around here. I just cant find it, and I'm bereft of the ability to script it myself. Bleh.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

You might want to check out FreePIE. It may help (but you still need some scripting skills).

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”