Samsung VR Gear - a mobile Oculus Rift????

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
tg022011
One Eyed Hopeful

Samsung VR Gear - a mobile Oculus Rift????

Post by tg022011 »

Is this real??
http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/8/588192 ... set-leaked
Does the smartphone have enough computing power and are the sensors/cameras good enough for VR & AR gaming?
Or is the gear only used for media viewing?

Thanks,
TY
equusvenustas
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Samsung VR Gear - a mobile Oculus Rift????

Post by equusvenustas »

While definitely isn't is going to have comparison the quality and immersion that has an OR, i think is a good way to have some fun, with some advantages as a portable and self contained device especially for casual people and young ones, and, as already have been demonstrated, you can have good immersion and even some presence with really crude graphics the trick is to implement good VR guidelines like correct IPD, low latency, natural movement etc.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

The problem is not the power, simpler games or applications can be easily rendered on smartphones. But the sensors are still not up to par with the Rift (frequency, latency, precision/accuracy) and mobile GPUs add a frame of latency which is bad for presence and simulator sickness.

Since Samsung seems to be working with Oculus, I guess they should be aware of what is needed to provide a good VR experience. But it's left to be seen if they'll make the good designing and manufacturing choices for this to happen.
rick2718
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rick2718 »

At LucidityVR, we're rendering 600K vertex mesh scenes on a Broadcom VideoCore4,
and many times that on an Nvidia Tegra SoC in our battery powered
mobile VR device. It's definitely possible... (both at 60FPS)
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

I don't know what Samsung's plans are, but I get the impression they're just trying to be first to market with every new product class (smart watches, for example), rather than having compelling uses, just so they don't get accused of being an Apple copycat. Virtual cinema, 3D/panoramic videos/images, and virtual chat rooms seem to me like the most likely candidates - all which the hardware is perfectly capable of handling and aren't necessarily held back much without positional tracking.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

You all will be glad to kNow its going to be nice DK2 beating product till CV1 not going to launch, say for first 6 or 7 Months (considering minimum cooling period Samsung demand as exclusivity for their developed screen before they allow oculus to indulge in to it) it will be only fully supported VR HMD which will be having WQHD (2560X1440) Screen. Thus DK2 Beating PPI and may be on par DK2 Accelerometer Gyroscope and Magnetometer provided right app side calibration, intelligent programing and robust SDK.

1) Its going to be released along side SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE4 (2560X1440 Screen Confirmed)
http://www.roadtovr.com/leaked-photo-sa ... t-gear-vr/

2) It will have fully supported Samsung app launcher
http://techcrunch.com/2014/07/24/samsun ... l-reality/

Only constraint is what price tag they are going to offer

One who can buy 700/800$ Note4 may not feel hard paying 150 Extra for VR Adepter provided Samsung
Land exactly in promised land. As Note4 Anyway going to rock the market its just matter of right positioning and marketing of an accessory.

If it would be around 100/150$ it will sure to be hit.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@rick2718

What your product actually does? (Not teasing, i been through your web page.)

Do it mimics walking in virtual world at 1:1 or that ratio is also programmable?
Do it give any signal like vibration when you reach at boundary of your virtual world? like reaching near wall or corner in virtual room?
Apart from that i found it just same as tablet (without display) with hardware that's similar to tablet.

Isn't a good mobile phone with gyroscope & MHL+Durovis Dive/Rift/Glyph/St1080 can also do it?

Don't you think Broadcom Videocore is really mediocre? My friends Galaxy S II Plus just sucks with broad comm processors BCM28155 SoC (videocore IV- & it badly sucks even at subway surfer which is not really heavy).

Allwinnner A10 and Mali400 are just fine (I have tab with this chip and its awesome), but i think the one which truly feed rift like display will be Tegra K1 SoC.

Thanks.
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

I cant wait to demo one of these, very shortly hopefully. I may well become an Android convert. :lol:
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

what are you, an apple sider? :lol:

I expected lower price though they are going to launch gear vr near about $199

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/7/611829 ... dset-price
http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-gear-vr-will-cost-199/

I think after initial few months of release prices will settle at 150$ point.
I would love to see what happens.I believe for single device locked VR Adepter $150 is right price point and will bump here if any such thing soon happen.... :twisted: (later is obvious)
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

Do you have any idea on release dates?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Sorry No! But i guess should be some where around Nov Last Week.
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Doing some searching around, I found that there 2 models of the Note 4 will be available

The current top mobile GPU belongs to the Tegra k1 which has 192 cores and something like 326 Gigaflops per sec.( similar to a GeForce 8800gt) That is powerful enough high frames rates at 60 frames. Texture mapping and polygons have to be accounted for when migrating into mobile platforms ofcourse.

There is plenty of talk about the Snapdragon 805 (Adreno 420) which will be included in the Note 4 North america. As good as that chip is, still well below the performance of the Tegra k1. That said there are 2 other mobile chips that can compete with the tegra and produce very similar numbers, and certainly well above the Snapdragon 805.

1. The Exynos 5433 (Mali)- Note 4 *Europe region*
2. The PowerVR SGX- 6650 -Apple Phone 6 plus

The Exynos has a octocore cpu and is also 64bit when compared to the Snapdragon 32bit. Apprently the Exynos 5433 may boast the same number of gigaflops as the Tegra k1.

The Powervr sgx-6650 obviously will not be compatible with the Gear VR Accessory, but that GPU also included a whopping 192 cores. Funny enough the developers of Unity 3D are working together to implement compatibility with this chip. Especially handling real-time global illumination. Apple VR Headset?

Anyway, the point is, this new generation of mobile hardware will indeed have the grunt necessary to run fast VR. It just that, like with any console, the games have to be optimized based on the limitation of the hardware.

If anyone is looking to purchase the Note 4, I would seriously consider grabbing a European version with the Exynos 5433 Chipset. It is vastly more powerful hardware when compare to the USA Snapdragon 805 counterpart. Mind you this phones are very EXPENSIVE, then add the extra $200 plus taxes of the head mount.

Cheers
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Exynos Chips are slightly below par while comparing head to head with Snapdragons as QualComm has long career in SoC Fabrication compared to Samsung.
Moreover Exynos Chips also have over heating problems and lower power consumption to performance ratio.

All in all longevity and battery life and stability(Not Hanging Mobile) wise i would much prefer Snapdragons.
I recommend Snapdragon version to those who want real long lasting (age and power both way) and real no fuss mobile.
( I personally used Snapdragon(My current MOTO G) and Exynos (My bro's old galaxy s2) Both devices)
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Performance of the Exynos 5433 is above the Snapdragon 805, not sure where you got your info from.

It comes down to preference. I rather have a platform that will hold better overall performance.
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

by performance i don't mean raw benchmark figures, its combination of

1) Capability to run most apps at good fluid frame-rate
2) Not draining battery like hungry bird in small gaming session.

Agreed its also much of personal preference.
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Dilip wrote:by performance i don't mean raw benchmark figures, its combination of

1) Capability to run most apps at good fluid frame-rate
2) Not draining battery like hungry bird in small gaming session.

Agreed its also much of personal preference.

The New Exynos 5433 is actually not the same generation as the previous model 5430. The Exynos is part of the Exynos 7 line although Samsung is naming it generation 5 (old gen naming convention). There is no battery benchmarks yet, so we can not jump into conclusions.

The new chip although been the very first Android mobile 64bit chip, will be set to run at 32bit. The chip is built on a smaller die 20nm, which will likely give better battery life.

Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Really Exynos is faster??
May be in theory, or on paper... ;)

Defy JC.;;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Polux008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Polux008 »

From what I understand, the VR Gear brings a big update in terms of latency and accuracy head tracking, so comfort.
Now, is that this can be done using streaming from a PC? because from what I understood the VR on a smarpthone streaming from a PC is not terrible in part because of the relative accuracy of smartphones.
The VR Gear 'm interested, but if it does nothing for streaming from a PC, it will quickly limit its use to me.
What would be great is an HDMI or equivalent entry to disseminate Gear VR image directly from the PC.
Hannibalj2

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Yup, get the Rift. I doubt it will work streaming from the PC, in any acceptable performance

Polux008
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Polux008 »

I think you are right, what I would like is a product that would allow me to play with PC or PS4 games (not necessarily in 3D or with head tracking for the PS4 games) and watch movies in 2D or 3D, and all that with the least possible latency and good qualities of image.
The biggest flaw of the oculus for me is that it does not allow viewing of 2D content without dividing the resolution by 2, even if it is not obviously the main advantage of this product is a shame since the major part of the current content in 2D.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The Rift can play 2D content with the right 3rd party application. For example. there is VR Cinema for watching 2D or 3D videos, there are various emulator projects that you can play Super Nintendo (or whatever) games on a virtual big screen. PS4 is not compatible, and even with the work-arounds people have done (using video capture cards, etc.) you won't get head-tracking in the game or 3D, so it won't be a very good experience.

That said, if your goal is to play PS4, just get a nice TV and be happy.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I was very impressed with the Gear VR. The resolution is quite a bit better than DK2, FOV seemed fine from the brief use I had of it as well.

For applications such as a 3D surround video player, its a better bet than a DK2 etc IMHO (no colour aberation, no external devices like camera or PC required, etc). However, for gaming etc, I'd stick with a Rift. Apparently the Note 4 can overheat if used continuously.

It was probably the best HMD I'd used in terms of quality, until I tried Crescent Bay.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”