theory about how to get rid of screen door effect

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

theory about how to get rid of screen door effect

Post by JDuncan »

Today I was looking outside during the daytime, and I looked through the screen mesh that keeps the bugs out while the window is open.

I was wearing my glasses while I looked out the screen mesh, and I saw the screen mesh checkered box pattern, and my eyes were about 1 inch from the mesh.

Then I pressed the mesh on the screen onto my glasses, and I looked outside and the mesh disappeared, so the mesh square boxes became like a luma line like white color pixel pattern which was square, but there were no more black lines around the pixel square pattern the mesh made.

Then I moved a inch or two away from the mesh and I saw the black boxes that are the screen door mesh effect the oculus rift suffers from.

So my theory after all this is this, that by placing glass onto the screen like my glasses were pressed against the screen, the black lines that create the screen door mesh effect will disappear, but this depends on how close your eyes are from the glass because my eyes were really close to the glass on my glasses when they were pressed against the mesh.

To do this you would find a spot in the oculus rift that a piece of glass can be put, so you first have a screen that is showing the screen door effect and then you put the glass on the lcd or oled, and then you put your eyes near the glass on the lcd or oled and see if the screen door effect disappears like I think it should.

Really simple fix for the screen door effect, but you can try and see if it fixes it or not.

I just tried this using my camcorder on my plasma TV and it didn't fix the screen door effect. I still saw the black outline of the pixels that I saw when I moved my head back from the screen a inch or two so my glasses weren't pressed against the mesh to look outside.
So this means to me that while my idea works for some mesh and pressing glass against it, it doesn't work for all glass types pressed against all mesh types, but for some mesh types pressing glass against the mesh fixes the screen door effect.

The trick then is finding the science to the mesh and glass so the screen door effect disappears using a scientific method not this look and see method I did today with my plasma TV.

But there you have it. I think it's called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromatic_aberration

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”