Viability of a Potential System

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Luucid
One Eyed Hopeful

Viability of a Potential System

Post by Luucid »

Can you please discuss your thoughts on the commercial and mechanical viability of the following idea as it relates to modern and near-future technology? and also if/how interested the military/affiliated individuals would be in similar applications. http://i.imgur.com/uU7KhXG.jpg

I've been thinking of something that could benefit from similar necessary mechanics and can't get it out of my head.
Krenzo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Viability of a Potential System

Post by Krenzo »

I would love such a system. I would be concerned about the safety of it. Imagine if there's a bug coming from the software, and the system breaks your leg as a result of moving in a dangerous manner. Secondly, there would be a lot of power required to provide adequate support and resistance presumably from electric motors.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

It would be extremely challenging, especially if you expect to be able to move around like anything other than (the original) RoboCop.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

A system like that would be rad. I imagine it would be built with mechanical constraints into the leg's exoskeleton to prevent anything horrific from happening, but each of the foot actuators have to have at least what the user weighs in torque. Perhaps some sort of differential control system to limit the sum of the forces between the two motors to the user's weight...

Actuating the feet will be hard. I'm thinking a delta robot mechanism on each foot:

Lets you use 3 motors per foot to actuate them in 3 dof. As a matter of fact, since you're mostly moving in 2 dof, you might able to get away with a 2D variant of the delta style (using only 2 motors per foot).

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”