DIY Positional Tracking Using Webcams?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

DIY Positional Tracking Using Webcams?

Post by ElectroPulse »

Hello, all!

I did a little bit of looking, but didn't see much on this. Feel free to link topics if I missed some.

Are there any how-tos out there for making a DIY positional tracking setup? The other day I tried out "Hydra Cover Shooter" (the first demo I have tried that uses a hydra controller for positional tracking), and was blown away by the immersion. I haven't used my Rift a whole lot (didn't have access to my Rift for 10 months), but so far have had difficulty feeling immersed in the demos. I think it's the low-res display that does it for me... But when I tried out Hydra Cover Shooter, I was amazed.

Needless to say, I am looking into more positional tracking experiences.

I remember seeing people put on markers and use cameras for tracking, and am wanting to look into doing this with webcams. Webcams are quite cheap, and since I'm on a bit of a tight budget, I am looking other places than the Kinect and other more expensive devices.

Also, are there many already-made demos (I don't have any experience setting up such a thing) that support setting up your own stuff like that?

Thanks!
ElectroPulse
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: DIY Positional Tracking Using Webcams?

Post by cybereality »

You can do Wiimote tracking ala Johnny Lee with cheap leds on a pair of safety glasses. Probably could be done for under $50. However, you must stay facing forward (or mostly forward) for that to work. You can strap a PS Move to a helmet like the Holodeck dudes (around $50 plus helmet and supplies). It's goofy, but actually works. Otherwise you can use a webcam and fiducial markers in the environment (like Valve Room). This is also pretty cheap, under $50.

Definitely cool and fun as a DIY project, but the Oculus DK2 works very well and is coming soon, so you could just wait for that.
ElectroPulse
Cross Eyed!

Post by ElectroPulse »

Thanks for the reply!

Well, I'm actually only going to be home until the end of July, when I head back out of the country for another 10 months (where I will not have access to my Rift). I'd love to get a DK2, but can't justify a couple of weeks of use for the cost (especially with our current finances). That's why I'm looking for something I can work on and try to get set up at this point :)

Hmm... What about with multiple Wii remotes? We have a Wii with 4 remotes, so if the software can support it, I could set up multiple. I'll also look some more for the webcam idea... I didn't know of the word "fiducial," so can now use that as a keyword in my searches :) Thanks!

EDIT: Just realized you said the Move was only $50... I'll definitely look into that! I'm guessing that'd work better than webcams. I don't care how goofy I look when doing VR... I don't have to look at myself when doing it ;) (on Amazon, it looks like the PS Eye + a Move controller would only be about $30!)
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

You may have a look here for a cheap DIY solution for positional tracking :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=19601

But the PS Move + PS Eye is a nice combination as well, and not THAT goofy I'd say depending on how you attach it :

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”