Leap Motion V2 Tracking now in Public Developer Beta

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I have been very busy lately, travelling to all the main VR and gaming related expos and events, and lots of extra private events that go with that experience. However, I did receive a pair of Leap Motion devices recently and I tested them (one at a time) using the new V2 beta SDK and demos:

https://community.leapmotion.com/t/v2-t ... -beta/1202

It works much better than I had expected, based on previous reviews of the V1 SDK in various forums. The new tracking algorithms as impressive and much more useful for some applications, though I suspect they could be more robust with TWO trackers mounted below and above (or to the side) of the hands. I plan to test a pair of these devices running in Virtual Machines (which support USB passthrough) which then use network communications to attempt to fuse their results.

The best example of improvement is in the diags portion of the new SDK, showing good finger tracking. I sent a video showing an area that could use improvement in the skeletal finger tracking portion of the downloadable Orientation demo, but diags works great, IMHO.

In the mean time, those with Leap Motion devices can download and test the new SDK at the Leap Motion web site.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”