LazeeEye: Turn Your Smartphone Into a 3D Camera

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
mirelurk
One Eyed Hopeful

LazeeEye: Turn Your Smartphone Into a 3D Camera

Post by mirelurk »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/33 ... -3d-camera
Hello guys, I found this project on Kickstarter, it's literally a low-cost alternative to Project Tango, you can DIY it for 50$ and do not need to buy a specific smartphone model just for having a 3D camera, it's adaptable to all Android and iOS smartphones.
I really love the idea of using this for SLAM Augmented Reality.

If it succeeds, I think it would be very beneficial for the DIY community, pledging for the developer edition give you the source code, the 3D CAD files and all the hardware (is easy to find and does not require special sensors), it's possible to build one completely from scratch, unlike other commercial solutions you become completely independent (spare parts, repairs, support, etc.), the possibilities are endless, so far I've not found a way to do it DIY on a smartphone, if anyone knows an open source solution like this please let me know, I searched hard for it.

However, if this continues like this I'm afraid they won't make it with the funds, honestly this leave me a bit disappointed, because commercial solutions like the Structure Sensor by Occipital has reached over a million dollars, and it's not completely DIYable, as we speak lacks support for Android, it's much more expensive and at first glance the resolution doesn't seem much better or worse.

So, it's not my intention to spam, but I think this would greatly benefit the DIY community, I always wanted to be able to build these from scratch, so I can customize/tweak according to my needs, if it interests you, please spread the word, I've already funded it.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: LazeeEye: Turn Your Smartphone Into a 3D Camera

Post by cybereality »

Looks cool.
mirelurk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mirelurk »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/33 ... sts/830400
Now it support Raspberry Pi and have ROS drivers to make it work with Robot Operating System middlewares! They did it in very short time after an user has requested this feature, it's really a promising team! The possibilities are endless now, I dare not imagine what you could do with it, I'm literally nerdgasming!
Imagine integrating this into Unity3D and HMDs.
mirelurk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mirelurk »

Only 24 hours left! I really hope they reach the necessary funds, this technology can be so promising if it becomes accessible to everyone and not just the elite, please help spread the word! They're so close to the finish line!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”