eye tracking for occlusion

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
JDuncan
Cross Eyed!

eye tracking for occlusion

Post by JDuncan »

Today it occurred to me that presence is real because of occlusion, and this works by my eyes being aware of the occlusion my nose gives each eye.

And therefore, if oculus vr or similar product treats the eye so there is no eye tracking, there is no occlusion like how the eyes see occlusion by how the eyes move relative to the nose.

Then there is no presence like there is in real life, just some pseudo reality that wouldn't look totally real.

So how to fix this error of non-occlusion?

First the visor beams the picture onto the eye like in that "Glyph Avegant's Head Mounted Virtual Retinal Display" does.

Then the beam hits the eyes even though the eyes move. But if the beam from the projector hits the eyes at one point, how does the beam follow the eye so the projector beam hits the eyes when the eyes move?

The eyes wear contact lenses, and they have some marking that the sensor on the visor tracks.

Then when the projector beam hits the eyes it is at the [eyes + sensor = position x], now the eyes move and it is ([eyes + sensor = position x] + [two sections to the left and one section up]), so the projector beams the picture to this new position.

Now the eyes see a picture with both eyes when the eyes are at 1 position and this is the base.
Now the eyes move and so the picture seen is including new occlusion.
So the picture beamed into each eye shows the occlusion.

So by the projector beaming two beams, one per eye, the tacking can monitor when there is occlusion and change what the projector shows each eye so the eye can see occlusion, then you have presence.

The contacts may not show the eyes parallax value but they can work so the base picture vs pictures with occlusion can be made which would increase presence.

Of course for this to be used in the oculus vr, the glyph tech with a project per eye would have to be made into one headset, then you have the contacts and the projectors moving to beam the picture into each eye. So not cheap to get glyph tech in the oculus and then you have the whole eye tracking to get the occlusion effect which is vital to vr presence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJnjmu-NAaY

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”