Quick Survey on Motion Sickness

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
someone972
One Eyed Hopeful

Quick Survey on Motion Sickness

Post by someone972 »

So I've been interested in virtual reality systems for quite a while now, so I decided to research the effects of simulation sickness/motion sickness associated with virtual reality for a paper I'm writing in college. I prepared a very brief survey (would probably take just a minute or two), at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FYCC69Q.

Obviously I'm new here, so I hope this sort of thing is not frowned upon on this site. Seeing as this is a community very interested in virtual reality systems, it seemed like a good place to look for a few participants. If you have any other insights into motion sickness with virtual reality systems I'm all ears!

I hope I can get some good information and learn some more about virtual reality systems at the same time :).
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Re: Quick Survey on Motion Sickness

Post by android78 »

I filled out the survey.
I don't think this is frowned upon. We need well compiled research into this since it is going to be a major barrier for consumer adoption. It would be interesting to be able to do some controlled experiments with a large number of subjects where you could do things like change the framerate/lag/drift/etc of the system and then have people give responses regarding how they are feeling before/during/after/5 min after/10min after.
Would be great to see the paper when you complete it.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

You should add an option for the time it takes for symptoms to manifest : less than 5 minutes. I answered 5-10 minutes instead.

Also the correct term for VR should be simulator sickness, although Wikipedia doesn't make the difference with motion sickness.

Motion sickness exist in the presence of actual physical movement where the vestibular apparatus is stimulated, whereas simulator sickness does appear in the absence of physical movement when there is no stimulation of the vestibular apparatus.

That's most probably the reason why I'm not subject to motion sickness (can read or write in a car) but I can barely stand the Rift for more than some minutes depending on the kind of experience.

You may read this article which goes into great details about this subject :
Can your eyes make you sick?: Investigating the Relationship between the Vestibulo-ocular Reflex and Virtual Reality

And this more recent one which questions the reasons for simulation sickness :
Simulation Sickness and VR - What is it, and what can developers and players do to reduce it?
someone972
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by someone972 »

Those articles look very interesting, thanks! I greatly appreciate the feedback so far, it's going much better than I expected. I'm particularly stressed for time this semester so I can't devote as much time as I'd like to it, but you all are giving some great info! Perhaps I'll get a chance to continue looking into it even after the assignment is done.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I did it. I hope it helps.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

Did the survey last night, hope it was helpful.
DannyVR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DannyVR »

Hi someone972,

I already done it too. Hope it can assist you. What's your recommendation
to reduce the sickness effect?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”