Homemade complete VR set help!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Redeathray
One Eyed Hopeful

Homemade complete VR set help!

Post by Redeathray »

Hi, I'm ReDeathray, and I want to make a complete VR set with:
An OpenDive that I printed and an Xperia SP for the HMD
Wooden planks, a kinect, screws, bolts, wood glue, a metal sheet and socks for the omnidirectional treadmill
And a WiiMote with a gun alike handle for the aiming system (like FPS or Minecraft)
The problem is that I don't know what softwares to use and also, I just have a small idea of how to make the treadmill.
The treadmill would use a simple flat walking surface using a wooden plank with a metal plate attached on it, the upper part will be an octogon made out of bed wooden planks attached to the walking surface with 2 wooden planks and the software will maybe be virtuix omni software connected to the kinect.
The wiimote will only use the gyroscope to aim and the buttons on it will be used to shoot, recharge, change weapon, pause, change mode (like for the vehicules )
For the HMD the soft that I'm using is splashtop but I don't know what soft to put to use headtracking.
Also for the computer I need your advise for the softwares to use.
Help!
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Homemade complete VR set help!

Post by Haloar »

Have a look around the website for gems of ideas and advice as a first reference.

Besides that, FreePIE (with an official forum on this site) is generally used to take sensor data off phones and is an option for connecting the Wiimote.

The apps Kainy or Splashtop are generally used to mirror the desktop display, maybe your phone has a Miracast type option too?

I'm not sure what to do for your treadmill, but I think the Omni Virtuix software is only available by CD accompanying the Kickstarter shipments.

If you want to use the xBox Kinect, try the Open NI drivers and middleware.

As general advice though, VR has remained a frontier and you must put in many frustrating hours to even get the most basic homebrew set-up. Good Luck!
Redeathray
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Redeathray »

Thanks! I made the octogon for holding the person, I'll surelly use wiimotes because I have 4 of them and I never use them!
I was thinking too about freepie but do we need a special software on the phone or is it just pairing it on bluetooth?
Here I made a quick plan during the day:
For mirroring the screen, I'll use splashtop and I'll also change my crappy router!
For the codes,I'm gonna check another post about omnidirectional treadmills.
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Haloar »

FreePIE comes bundled with the apps to install on your phone.

Have a go at putting hinged supports to allow for crouching.
Redeathray
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Redeathray »

Hinged supports are hard to make, i'll use elastic cables to keep myself in the center and to allow me to turn, like I saw on another post. I'm not sure if crouching will be possible, but i'll see when I get there.
Maybe i could wear something like a large plastic belt to make me slide up and down better allowing me to jump and crouch.
Redeathray
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Redeathray »

I worked on the structure today:

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”