Help a HMD noob please!!!!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Vali
One Eyed Hopeful

Help a HMD noob please!!!!

Post by Vali »

Hi guys,
I found this website/forum 2 weeks ago and since then I am crazy to make a HMD.
I saw most of the topics here, a lot of possibilities to make something usefull.SO, I started to make some tests with some lenses from an old projector (round and rectangle lenses), I used mu Ipad1 and Iphone 4 for display, etc.My wife thinks I'm crazy, with all that stuff on my head and lens on my eyes.

My questions please:
1- If I will use 2 x 7" displays from portable dvd players - 480 x 234 res per screen , the image will be too poor? or will be acceptable
2- If I will use a big 13" wide display from laptop - which "pro" and "cons" will be? - I know will be heavy (doesnt matter for the moment
3- If I will use the lcd panels from my video projector (1024x768) and I will add for light some leds will work?I'm asking you that because I have 3 panels ( R G B)

Thank you in advance and maybe someone can help me

P.S.- sory about my bad English.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Help a HMD noob please!!!!

Post by cybereality »

Good stuff.

Unfortunately I don't have any answers to your questions, but I like where you are going with this.
Vali
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vali »

thank you!
Maybe the post will be visiteb by many guys that can help me with this :)
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Vali wrote:Hi guys,
I found this website/forum 2 weeks ago and since then I am crazy to make a HMD.
I saw most of the topics here, a lot of possibilities to make something usefull.SO, I started to make some tests with some lenses from an old projector (round and rectangle lenses), I used mu Ipad1 and Iphone 4 for display, etc.My wife thinks I'm crazy, with all that stuff on my head and lens on my eyes.

My questions please:
1- If I will use 2 x 7" displays from portable dvd players - 480 x 234 res per screen , the image will be too poor? or will be acceptable
2- If I will use a big 13" wide display from laptop - which "pro" and "cons" will be? - I know will be heavy (doesnt matter for the moment
3- If I will use the lcd panels from my video projector (1024x768) and I will add for light some leds will work?I'm asking you that because I have 3 panels ( R G B)

Thank you in advance and maybe someone can help me

P.S.- sory about my bad English.
I will share my thinking. On point one, using dual display is possible, just look at "Infiniteye" and "Portal Dual". You do need to think what software driver will help you run and sync the 2 displays. If you have that then you're good there. You can try use Vireio and play with the settings.

-Are you cannibalizing the portable dvd Lcd's? Where do you intend to place the electronic of controlling each display (controller board)?
-The resolution on those displays are pretty low when considering that you need to find the adequate optics to view the content. For example. You would want the displays to be as close as possible to the face as a way to gain FOV. But also the focus will depend on the augmentation of the lenses. Those displays are already very low res and when you keep in mind that the active area where you will focus is only a portion of each display, to cover a wide FOV will make potentially the pixels huge!
-Another potential problem I see is that you inorder to have better resolution you will need to place the display further form the head. The ergonomics will become more cumbersome making the unit center of balance not ideal, not mention less FOV.

-13 inches is even worse because the pixel density is too low to make a practical unit. However, if you like tinkering then go for it. Innovation is always an few steps away.

On the other hand, making a clone Rift DK1 is not difficult. If you want you could get a hold of a 7.9inch Ipad mini 2 Retina lcd (e-dp) and start from there. It will save you many problems specially software wise. Or if you are serious on VR, purchase a Rift and start making games for it! :lol:

Cheers!
Last edited by Hannibalj2 on Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
Vali
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vali »

@Hannibalj2 thank you for the reply!

but choosing between the 2 options from here: 2 small lcds (from dvd) and that big lcd (13") which one is more acceptable?

...and to make games for it, dont know yet, the VR market is not so big...
Since 5 years I'm making IOS games.

Btw, do you have any HMD?
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

Vali wrote:@Hannibalj2 thank you for the reply!

but choosing between the 2 options from here: 2 small lcds (from dvd) and that big lcd (13") which one is more acceptable?

It will depend on what you want to create? Do you just want to make something for the sake of experimentation? Or something you would want to have a real use? The 13 inch for me is not worth it due to the cumbersome ergos and low pixel density. The small dual display are low res but it can be done.

I personally suggest you a single display as it will be easier to build and there is software for it. ;)

Edit: I forgot to answer one point. I have a few HMD prototypes. Also currently developing a game for the Rift.
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
Vali
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Vali »

Hannibalj2 wrote:
Vali wrote:@Hannibalj2 thank you for the reply!

It will depend on what you want to create? Do you just want to make something for the sake of experimentation? Or something you would want to have a real use? The 13 inch for me is not worth it due to the cumbersome ergos and low pixel density. The small dual display are low res but it can be done.

I personally suggest you a single display as it will be easier to build and there is software for it. ;)

Edit: I forgot to answer one point. I have a few HMD prototypes. Also currently developing a game for the Rift.

WOW man, I saw your project! Realy good stuff there!PRO!

You know what you doing, good job!

Since you know, hehe, now I got you and I will shoot you whith questions:
-you asked me why Im not buying a good lcd with logic board etc, Im situated in Europe/Romania-Transilvania, and if I will make an order form Ebay for a good display will take tooo much time to arive here (from China), so I must handle with what I have here, around me.

1-That's why I asked you about those small dvd screens, If I will put them like you have, and I will connect them separated on pc ( I will get the same image on each screen right) so I will still need software for that?

2-You said (on one post of your's) the Rift have 640 pixels wide right? If I will put those 2 lcd (dvd) I will obtain around 900x234pixels, so will be closer to the original one? what do you think about the h, is not enough?

3- also, I said , I have an videoprojector, and inside of it I have 3 LCD (1024x768) , can I use them?I mean, they will give me the right image, I aks you that because the projectors use RGB panels, I can use them separated and mount led for light?

I really want to make something usefull with that I have here since I can't wait months to arive and lcd from China.

Btw, I know Unity and other 3D softwares, next, after I will complete this HMD I will make a demo.

where are you located?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”