Atheer One - SMART Glasses with 65 deg FoV

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Atheer One - SMART Glasses with 65 deg FoV

Post by metronome »

Hey I came across these and already looking excited! A bit different that they support Android using Slimport / MHL, no backpack VR anymore :D

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/athee ... /x/4042531

What do you guys think? Supporting tablets and phones really might change a few things... I'd rather get my 3D films using my phone instead of a huge bulky laptop any day :D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Atheer One - SMART Glasses with 65 deg FoV

Post by cybereality »

Interesting. Could be cool.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Looks interesting but there are several points that I find curious about this project.

It's weird they used Indiegogo instead of Kickstarter since they are in the US. It seems they planned to go for Kickstarter at first but switched because the approval was taking longer than expected and they wanted to launch before the holidays (which IMO is the worst possible timing for a crowdfunding campaign). It doesn't really inspire me confidence I'd say.

They sell the developer kit earlier to help building applications for the consumer kit but the announced FOV is very different in both devices (36° vs 65°), that doesn't make much sense to me.

I'd be curious to know how they can get a 65° FOV from what seem to be microdisplays and such a small form factor.

The 1048x784 resolution shown in the video is wrong, there is no existing display with this resolution. I latter found out in their campaign page that it's in fact 1024x768, but I'm quite surprised that they could overlook this in such an important part of their communication (I remarked it at my first viewing of the video). Also they make several mentions of HD displays which is clearly false advertising. Bad.

It's probably nice for AR but I'm more reserved for the usefulness as a VR device even with their intent of producing opaque lenses. I think having a display 50 cm from the eyes won't be really immersive, and even in AR mode Engadget seemed to find it a bit disorienting at times.
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Haloar »

The 1048*788 might refer to the actual amount of pixels on the die, often foundries leave a border to increase yields when cleaving. Those border pixels don't have any electrical connection and are only there because the mask/etching was continuous for that layer.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”