HMD Users Please check this out, Cyber you there??

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

HMD Users Please check this out, Cyber you there??

Post by The_Nephilim »

hey guys I bought some Software called nThusim for my Rig.. What is it you ask well it is warping software for Curved screens.. Well having been VERY Happy with How nThusim works they just released the HMD Nthusim software I think..

What it is supposed to do is let you use the Rift type device with any game all the time NO Need for special games.. Please check it out "Cyber" You reading this would love to hear your input on this software as I know you have a Rift:

http://www.forums.nthusim.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=138

Please be gentle if I misread what this software does but I think this is what HMD users been looking for.. Especially Rift users..
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: HMD Users Please check this out, Cyber you there??

Post by cybereality »

I haven't tried this yet, but I want to give it a go.

From what I understand it does not handle stereo, and only provides warping and doubling of a 2D image. The advantage is that just about any game or application is potentially compatible with the Rift. The disadvantage is that the experience will not be tailor made for VR, so it may be missing essential pieces of the puzzle (ie 3D). There are other 3rd party apps that may provide a more immersive experience (ie VorpX) but even then you can only do so much with injection drivers. Ultimately you want to play natively supported VR games as that will be the best experience.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Here is the bit about S3D Support:

That's nice benefits and all, but what about all the features? Oh, well, It does head tracking, supports side-by-side stereo, has support for different eye separation, and supports pretty much any application..

Isn't Side by side what we use?? Not sure where you see it does NOT support Stereo??
Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1 GHZ / ASRock Phantom 4 AC/4 Z590 Motherboard / G. SKILL Trident Z 64GB - 4000mhz / eVGA 2080Ti 11gb / SoundBlaster Z / HP Reverb G2 / HOTAS Cougar / Thrustmaster MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2 / :shutter
Hannibalj2
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Hannibalj2 »

The_Nephilim wrote:
Isn't Side by side what we use?? Not sure where you see it does NOT support Stereo??
Hey The_Nephilin, interesting stuff. I think you may be right to a point. Maybe Cyber refers to other aspects that help make 3d optimal, but I am assuming this as he is far more knowledgeable that I am on this aspects.

I posted an interesting article on this thread in which stereoscopy is the main subject matter:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=18975

I should give it a try the nThusim since I have a Rift. ;)
Portal Dual 180+ HFOV HMD: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18335

PORTAL DUAL VR, Downloads: http://hannibalj2.jimdo.com/
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

The_Nephilim wrote:Here is the bit about S3D Support:

That's nice benefits and all, but what about all the features? Oh, well, It does head tracking, supports side-by-side stereo, has support for different eye separation, and supports pretty much any application..

2 images side by side are not automatically 3D.

In order to perceive depth, the image received by each eye is offset. The left and right images are not identical, in 3D. One of them is "moved" laterally just a little bit.

So you have 2D SBS and 3D SBS.

For 2D SBS you just need to split the screen in half and if you're using a SBS HMD, the sensation will be like you are looking at a normal monitor.

For 3D SBS the work involved is much more complicated because you need to find a way to modify the shaders, to make it look like each frame had a different source, like it was filmed from a different perspective, like 2 cameras filming the same object.

So this software is wicked for 2D, but useless for 3D. For 3D you can use special drivers - VorpX, or software like Tridef or Vireio Perception.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Attreyu wrote:
The_Nephilim wrote:Here is the bit about S3D Support:

2 images side by side are not automatically 3D.

In order to perceive depth, the image received by each eye is offset. The left and right images are not identical, in 3D. One of them is "moved" laterally just a little bit.

So you have 2D SBS and 3D SBS.

For 2D SBS you just need to split the screen in half and if you're using a SBS HMD, the sensation will be like you are looking at a normal monitor.

For 3D SBS the work involved is much more complicated because you need to find a way to modify the shaders, to make it look like each frame had a different source, like it was filmed from a different perspective, like 2 cameras filming the same object.

So this software is wicked for 2D, but useless for 3D. For 3D you can use special drivers - VorpX, or software like Tridef or Vireio Perception.

Yes thank you for that I know that but it stated Side by Side STEREO??? Is that not S3D??I will go post over at nThusim and find out for sure Please I know what 3D is I have a NVidia 3D Vision setup..

This seems to support S3D I will go to the source and confirm..
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

OK the support for S3D would need to be built in the game this is in fact a 2D SBS Only currently.. I was talking to the guy over at nThusim and he said that the program like Doom 3 would need to support S3D Natively to work.. but it still looks cool for 2D applications to get working with rift.. ;)

Perhaps if you guys go over to Nthusim and ask for S3D support they can get that added?? ;)

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”