New video game HMD console - Sort of like a mobile Holodeck

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
XRGamer
One Eyed Hopeful

New video game HMD console - Sort of like a mobile Holodeck

Post by XRGamer »

Hey everyone,

I work for a start-up company called Sulon Technologies. We have a new take on HMD tech that understands the boundaries of the room you're in and uses that information to build dynamic virtual environments or populate your FOV with augmented characters and objects (to scale), which are all adapted to your physical surroundings.

This basically means you can walk around freely in your game/application without worrying about walking into walls as the virtual and real world share the same dimensions. People have started to dub our device a "mobile holodeck" and it kind of stuck, however we're calling the device 'GVX' and the technology 'Xtreme Reality.'

The system is centered around a dedicated 'console' device, which basically is a beefed up smartphone minus the cellular function and runs on the Snapdragon 800 processor. This piece houses stereoscopic cameras and slides into the HMD to act as the screen (6") and the HMD's eyes.

We are working with Sixense to continue the convergence of the real and the virtual, giving users 1 to 1 control with high accuracy and low latency via custom wireless controllers.

Please take a look at our first developer blog. It's light on the system details, but the idea is to open up people's perception of what's possible to produce on the system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X5wZHGR3FY
and this is the website:
www.sulontechnologies.com

I'd love to hear your thoughts and comments!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: New video game HMD console - Sort of like a mobile Holod

Post by cybereality »

Good luck!
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

I do like the concept and obviously don't doubt that one can build an immersive hmd for the masses today. I'm very sceptical though regarding the promise of a mobile holodeck when the only available realtime footage is running at what seems to be 1fps. I'd love to see a proof of concept instead of prerendered footage and mockups. I still wish you all the best and keep an eye or two on this.
XRGamer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by XRGamer »

Thanks guys!
I see what you mean SinSilla. The screen capture software used is the reason for that low framerate. Currently, there is no noticeable lag when moving around a room. There's a lot of work still needed, no doubt, but we will be putting out more and more content moving forward. If you had anything you would really like to see demonstrated, let me know and you could see it in future updates :)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

so far I believe it is complete science fiction. the ground splitting up in the new trailer means either have the same with a carpet looking ridiculous or a big materials database checking for appropiate effects. since I do not believe the latter that whole thing falls into my category of "dreamware" ... we can make it in cgi, we can't make it in reality. 3d scanners are getting better and better, but they are nowhere near what you need for what you want to do. very sceptical
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Haloar
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Haloar »

Have a look at Google and Movidus' Project Tango, g.co/ProjectTango, they are doing RGB + Depth Kinect type room mapping.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”