Project GAUNTL33T Haptic Feedback Glove Help Wanted!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!

Which three are most valuable to you in a Haptic Feedback Glove

Hard Resisting
19%
Soft Resisting
18%
Vibratory
5%
Moisture
2%
Texture
7%
Temperature
4%
Pressure
23%
Impact
5%
Yaw Pitch Roll forces
5%
Wireless
12%

Total votes: 57

redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Project GAUNTL33T Haptic Feedback Glove Help Wanted!

Post by redslashace »

We are a small team of engineering students at University of Texas Arlington working on an arduino based haptic feedback glove. Most existing data gloves that are commercially available are haptic gloves. Haptic gloves will track your finger and or hand movement, however they usually provide minimal or no tactile feedback. Our glove is a haptic feedback glove that tracks finger movement and provides a great deal of tactile feedback to the user at a lower cost than most currently available feedback solutions. This tactile feedback includes the ability to grab hard and soft virtual objects. In the future vibratory, thermal, moisture, and other feedback may be implemented in our design. The glove is functional and can interface with Unity through the Uniduino plugin. Our device should make a good pair with STEM, MYO, PrioVR, and other new tracking solutions. We are currently looking for someone in the DFW Texas area who can put together a good game demo for it. Please comment below if you are interested in joining the project!
What I can show so far without showing too much! Finger tips allow for users to adjust for custom finger length
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Project GAUNTL33T Haptic Feedback Glove Help Wanted!

Post by cybereality »

Interesting work. Do you plan on a Kickstarter or something?
redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by redslashace »

We would like to addition for maker fair 2014. If it is well received then we will kick start it. First things first this December will be applying for a provisional patent just to avoid copycats sending nasty grams(want it to be open source however). Then will be able to fully disclose project online. In the mean time we would like to make a nice demo for the glove.
Zoide
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Zoide »

Have you thought of making the glove out of a breathable mesh? That material makes it look like one's hands would sweat quite a bit in there.
redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by redslashace »

Oh sorry for that I was trying to avoid showing the brand on the back. However the glove is a very breathable material only the palm side has been rubberized to avoid ware when holding things. Imagine if you ripped your glove while grabbing an actual physical object :/ wouldn't be too fun. They sell these kind of gloves at a very low cost at hardware stores minus the tips of course.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

redslashace wrote:Oh sorry for that I was trying to avoid showing the brand on the back. However the glove is a very breathable material only the palm side has been rubberized to avoid ware when holding things. Imagine if you ripped your glove while grabbing an actual physical object :/ wouldn't be too fun. They sell these kind of gloves at a very low cost at hardware stores minus the tips of course.
Ah, OK. Does the glove in the picture include any of the electronics, or is it just a plain glove for illustration purposes? If it does include them, then they are quite sleek and discreet :geek:
redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by redslashace »

It is a part of our prototype but it does not contain the
electronics. In the future buzzers in the finger tips or other feedback will probably be within that part of the glove. The force feedback goes over the glove and will be shown later. Thank you for the question :). And yes we will try our best to make the entire glove as sleek as possible before it is consumer ready.
redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by redslashace »

for those interested in voice chatting about haptic feedback gloves will be having a voice chat here: http://www.anymeeting.com/gdcuta1 for the next hour
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

redslashace wrote:for those interested in voice chatting about haptic feedback gloves will be having a voice chat here: http://www.anymeeting.com/gdcuta1 for the next hour
How did it go? Sorry I couldn't join, I had a family event.

Regards,

Andrés
redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by redslashace »

That is fine one of my friends who did sign on needed help with programming his 8 x 8 led matrix so ended up helping him since it was just 3 of my friends who were on. Debugging the device over video chat was fun! XD We can have some more chats before we get things moving in December. I am going to be having mid terms for the next two weeks and will probably be up all night November first at our Game Developer Club LAN. Would November ninth be a good time for another chat? PS if anyone is in the area the LAN will be open to anyone. Would love to meet some more VR enthusiasts in the area :D
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Nov. 9th could work.
redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by redslashace »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1vsMI ... sp=sharing
OK It is winter break now time to get some steam going behind this project! Thank you Reverend Kyle so much for letting me show it off on you live podcast and everyone for the great input! There is quite a bit of redesigning to do. Most of the weight of the motors should be shifted to a 3D printed arm piece. Also, starting on a Unity Demo will need to begin. Perhaps a game called Barista VR where you get to experience all sorts of feeling sensations in while working as a barista in a small cafe. I propose that on Saturdays from now on holding a DFW VR Meetup. Please post if you are interested in a meeting in person so we can decide a best central location. Can host an Anymeeting too so people out of area can join in on the project. Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts :D!

Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/536642796371093/
redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by redslashace »

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/7acp ... 5134&hl=en Google Hang Out Starting soon :D. Will be going all afternoon and evening.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Very cool! Are those motorized linear potentiometers from a mixing console that I see?

There have been discussions here in the past about a similar glove idea. Since I don't plan on making my own, but I'd love to see such a glove made, I'm willing to share some thoughts I've had on the subject, and hopefully they might be of practical value.

The idea is to have cables that run from the finger tips much like your design through guides (approximately) over each joint then somewhere along the back of the hand they connect to something like a lightly loaded elastic band which terminates a bit further up the glove. So essentially the cable becomes spring loaded. Now if you place at least one electronic clamping mechanism per cable around the knuckle, you have a way of restricting some of the finger movements. Of course, you'll need a way to detect finger flexing, and there's a few ways you can do it, but the simplest way is probably to do what the Nintendo Power Glove did and use these: www.sparkfun.com/products/10264

Hopefully that makes sense.
redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by redslashace »

Did you want to come on the hangout and chat?
redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by redslashace »

Will have another hangout next Saturday. Please RSVP if you would like to come on.
redslashace
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by redslashace »

Touch The Future!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ul8gNlW ... &t=1h15m7s
getting very close now to having fully wireless haptic feedback glove

Come visit us to try the Gauntl33t Lance prototype at maker faire in Bay area California May 17th and 18th
http://makerfaire.com/makers/project-gauntl33t/
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Nice work! The use of servos is actually a pretty good solution. It didn't dawn on me that finger position is less important than knowing the position of the limiting mechanism (strings in your case). This reduces the complexity which I initially had in mind. Just a heads up if you weren't aware of them: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Servo.html

Such linear servos can made your setup more compact, and they're less beastly than the ones you originally used.. However, I'm not sure if they'll provide enough throw for your needs. Worth looking into though.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”