Would there be interest in a rifted Angler?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Would there be interest in a rifted Angler?

Post by GeraldT »

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz4JmEEt31g[/youtube-hd]

My second LEAP game Angler is coming along fine and I thought I'd ask you guys how many are actually interested in buying a rifted version of the game.

I ask because my estimate of making the game Rift compatible is 2 weeks of work - 1 week for the stuff I thought of and 1 week for the stuff I didn't.

That means I need to make at least 3000$ extra with this version for it to make sense (mind you that it is not 3000$ that go to my pocket, the store alone will take 900$ of that before I get taxed!!!). With an already small market for Rift and an even smaller for people that have both the LEAP and a Rift I thought I'd ask how much interest of such a simple kids game actually is here.

In short - what would you currently pay for a game that will give you maybe 2-3 hours of simple fun before you unlocked all content.

Why is it not simply a question of "drag & drop" of the Oculus asset? Look at the picture down below and you see how much of the world I would have to model and fill with content, how I would have the clouds to go in a circle instead of just from one side to the other etc. ... if I rift this title, then I want it to look good in VR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Re: Would there be interest in a rifted Angler?

Post by RoTaToR »

I thought i read somewhere ANGLER is not for LEAP... (?!?)

It looks good, but it is not designed for oculus. So in this case should not integrate it.

On the other Hand. >>2-3h simple fun<< with Leap and Oculus Rift....

SHUT UP and take my money...! Na maybe 50$ - but 30% for the store is too much.

PS: Today is the first time i see/realised this part of the Forum.... ^^
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Looks interesting, but is there a challenge in the game? I mean, does it require skill or is there any way to lose?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

If it costs a couple of dollars, I'll buy it. Otherwise I won't. It's well done, but not really my thing.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Based on the video you posted it doesn't really look like a game that would be enhanced at all by the Rift. What would head tracking do? Control the fishing pole? That seems odd. How does Leap work with this game? It looks like the fishing pole is being controlled with a mouse. Seems like a decent smartphone game, but not something I'd want to play in the Rift.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

@RoTaToR - am working exclusively on LEAP games for the moment, I have just one very early prototyp of a Rift/Hydra game (not VR invaders) that I is not a LEAP title.

ATM we plan to release ANGLER for 2.99$ on Launch, this is a casual title! So certainly not something like 50$ for a Rift version, it would be more like 6,99$ for a rifted version which in turn would need to sell less than 1000 copies to pay for the time spend rifting it.
In the current state I am considering just making it a free demo without the fishing part - but I will wait for that until I have my own Rift. If 2D cartoony graphics are fun with the Rift as long as you make sure to keep a distance, then I can see some game concepts where you combine 3D models with lots of 2D objects that give the world it's style.

And I guess many missed this part of the forum, maybe I should have posted it to the main forum to get more feedback

@Cyber - there is little challenge in day mode, this is the mode that is aimed at little children. the night mode though is a different story - it is very easy for me up the challenge by reducing the area in which fish act on the hook. but in the end it is a simple game that lives from the casual gamers desire to reach the next objective - you will add more objects to the world and make it more interesting that way.
But don't expect a game with big replay value for adults. I don't want to give a wrong impression - 2-3h with 2-6 sittings should be realistic. maybe a nice title for people that get affected by motion sickness to slowly get used to the Rift.

@2Eye - thanks for the offer of support! appreciate it :)

@drgroove101 - the head tracking would allow you to look around, follow the clouds as they fly around you, I guess we would have to add a few more attractions like flying birds or something to give Rifters a bit more too see.
The fishing pole is controlled by using your finger - nothing else. At night you are more aware of the ability to "turn" the rod left/right to get a better sense of where the glowing fish are (something you can't do with a mouse).
And you are right - this is a very casual title, that is why I was wondering if there is a big enough casual gamers subgroup within the Rifters group. Thank you for your input.
Vamplifire
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Vamplifire »

If it involved the rift and the hydra.... that would be awesome
the_wretched
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by the_wretched »

Hi GeraldT, I like the art style and I think the Rift could benefit from some casual games like this. I remember plenty user reactions from Rift demos along the lines of "oh I love this pond, I could sit here for hours and relax". I've also heard several times that cartoony styles look really good on the Rift too. So a nice casual title, sitting by a lake and doing some fishing - yeah that might work better than you'd think!

Just out of curiosity, why "only" LEAP Input? I mean the controls look like you could easily map those 1:1 to one of the Hydra controllers. I've only glanced at their SDK, but it should't require a lot of work. I think your potential Rift market would increase by several orders of magnitude by supporting the Hydra too, as it's currently much more popular among Rifters. I know if this was a Rift/Hydra title I'd definitely buy it.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Angler for Rift is no longer a topic of discussion - I already working on 2 games for the Rift and none of them is Angler.

@the_wretched - if I integrate a Hydra, then I want it to work really well. But the Hydra is way less sensitive, so it would take a lot of time with the finetuning - for a casual gaming mechanism. Also - finger movement is easy, but with a Hydra it would become arm movement. Not sure how much time a real Hydra conversion would take.
I have always been an enemy of loveless and quick ports - so I will try not to go over to the dark side just to get a couple of extra sales.

And the LEAP is awesome - once players start gaming sessions that are longer than half an hour I can see them willingly embrace the LEAP. But time will tell, soon the LEAP launches and I am curious how the masses will react to it.
the_wretched
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by the_wretched »

No sweat, I can understand where you are coming from and agree - better no support than a half-hearted attempt. You're better off making Angler a fantastic LEAP game than making it an average LEAP/Hydra/Rift game. Looking Forward to your two Rift games though...
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

the_wretched wrote:No sweat, I can understand where you are coming from and agree - better no support than a half-hearted attempt. You're better off making Angler a fantastic LEAP game than making it an average LEAP/Hydra/Rift game. Looking Forward to your two Rift games though...
I guess I will start by doing a quick port of the Licht preview - just drop the Oculus in and deactivate all graphic aspects that get broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uee716jfKOU

Especially the shadows are likely to no longer work properly - but it will be a nice warmup to see what problems await. The preview is just a fun experiment that gave the last tester about an hour of playtime. So I will throw in the LEAP support just as a bonus (it's currently planed as a 0.99$ title) - I had hoped to have it done for the LEAP launch, but I guess I will be able to make it an update sometime in June. So that would be the earliest to expect something rifty from me.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Licht reminds me of irrlamb,a open source game made with the irrlicht engine :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PemiIKVOsqQ
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Ohh ... cool, I like that. Not what I have in mind for the final game, but certainly something I need to look up for ideas. Maybe I'll add a trail to compensate for shadow loss (which helps with directions). Thanks STRZ!!!
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Somebody fixed deferred lighting in Unity https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=37&t=598
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

STRZ wrote:Somebody fixed deferred lighting in Unity https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=37&t=598
I missed that little gem so far - if that means that I can use it 1:1 in VR I'm gonna smile so hard it hurts. Thank you for letting me know STRZ!! Now I really can't wait for my Rift to arrive ... awesome! By the time I get it, the fix might already be part of the SDK - perfect.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

GeraldT wrote:
STRZ wrote:Somebody fixed deferred lighting in Unity https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/v ... f=37&t=598
I missed that little gem so far - if that means that I can use it 1:1 in VR I'm gonna smile so hard it hurts. Thank you for letting me know STRZ!! Now I really can't wait for my Rift to arrive ... awesome! By the time I get it, the fix might already be part of the SDK - perfect.
It looks like that change is part of the SDK now, so everything should be great in that regard.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Mystify wrote:It looks like that change is part of the SDK now, so everything should be great in that regard.
Yeah I can't wait to try it, will be a lot of fun :)

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”