ConVRge: Need Input From Game Developers & Attendees

Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

ConVRge: Need Input From Game Developers & Attendees

Post by Neil »

Hello everyone,

MTBS has been actively working on a new immersive technology event called ConVRge. Things are progressing well, and it's time to get some input from the membership. In particular, we want a group of companies and individuals willing to act in an advisory capacity with minimal time commitments.

This is what we need:

1. If you are a game developer or software developer that is serious about supporting VR (e.g. the Rift), AR, 3D, etc. please email us. While large companies are welcome, we are equally excited about the independent game developers looking for their big break in immersive tech. Please email us at convrge@mtbs3d.com. It doesn't matter if your product(s) don't exist yet, and what is shared isn't for public consumption.

2. Are there passionate gamers / members looking to attend ConVRge in Los Angeles? Email us.

This is going to be a multistage process. Respecting that we have a lot of new members who haven't been familiar with MTBS until now, here are some press releases over the years:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=66
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressrele ... rthday.php
http://www.develop-online.net/press-rel ... ecide-2011
http://www.marketwire.com/press-release ... 286834.htm

As shown above, we take these efforts very seriously and we regularly get involvement from the industry's best. Again, email us if you are equally excited about the potential for the immersive technology market. This is NOT a request for financial participation.

Regards,
Neil
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: ConVRge: Need Input From Game Developers & Attendees

Post by Drewbdoo »

I'm across the country in Charlotte, NC, but given enough time to plan, I definitely plan on attending. Put me in the passionate gamers category. :)
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

I am totally down to attend ConVRge when it happens in LA. It 's a no-brainer!
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

I am very glad to see the ball rolling on this. Unless circumstances conspire to keep me away, I would of course plan on attending.
Neil

Post by Neil »

This event is taking place in 2014, and it is going to be directly applicable even for companies that don't have completed or released products and games. In fact, these are the people who will likely benefit the most from participating with this event.

I can't reveal everything yet, but ConVRge is being designed so that in addition to giving fellow consumers something to look at, this will go a long way in giving the little guys the shot in the arm they need to put out viable products based on immersive technology and create the content base that Oculus and similar companies need. There is a method to my madness. ;)

I apologize for not being able to reveal the exact timing in 2014 or ConVRge's venue as that would tip our hand. What's most important for making this event a success is to show that there is an active community that is really interested in this stuff, that there is real demand for ConVRge by consumers and industry (including new industry), and that immersive technologies like the Rift have a long term future beyond the hype phase.

If you have ideas on ways to showcase the community's support as a lead-up to this, I'm game. I think it would bode well for the product makers too because it would help demonstrate that there is a real market out there beyond the waves of press coverage. Some new logo ideas will be presented to the community soon in addition to what members have already shared.

Regards,
Neil
radicaledward101
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by radicaledward101 »

I also plan on attending. I would also like to participate in planning if you need/want it.
Visual Knight
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Visual Knight »

I'm down with this- I do pre-rendered 3D animation if you need me to do any convention advertising concepts :P Know Lightwave, AE
AMD 8 Core 8150FX CPU OC'ed to 3.9Ghz / XFX AMD 7990 6GB Video / 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM / 256GB Kingston SSDNOW Sold-State Drive / Windows 7 64-bit / Sony 3D monitor
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Certainly in as well and would love to get involved.. Great initiative.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Also, as far as helping out goes, I've got a lot of A/V experience and grip/electrical experience from both film as well as stage rigging, and a fair amount of production coordination. I'd be willing to help logistically for/at the event, be that helping set up electronics and staging, helping run an event schedule, or handing out badges at the front door. :D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yes, I would like to come (especially since LA is a quick drive from where I am).
Visual Knight
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Visual Knight »

Wish NYC had one too because I'm on the east coast (2.5 hours for me to get there via train or car). But Oculus is in CA along with the rest of silicon valley.
AMD 8 Core 8150FX CPU OC'ed to 3.9Ghz / XFX AMD 7990 6GB Video / 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM / 256GB Kingston SSDNOW Sold-State Drive / Windows 7 64-bit / Sony 3D monitor
Xensory
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Xensory »

I would definitely be up for attending in person. I'm in North Carolina, but I always enjoy visiting LA.

You should consider including telepresence bots too, perhaps with a different admission price for those who can't come:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/10/meet-t ... nce-robot/
Naru
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Naru »

I'll be going. Sent an email last night. I'm in Michigan, but the flight can't be any more than $400 given the dates are announced well ahead of time. I don't see why flying from the east coast would be a big deal. This will be the first ConVRge, totally worth the expense.
Visual Knight
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Visual Knight »

By then I'll probably come up with something amazing with the rift. I'm not exactly a programmer- But I'm really good at texturing and making things jump out. Video editing is another passion I have and I could make content for spherical dome video- so you can have your own "Strange Days" or "Brainstorm" Experience. So- I'd bite the bullet and go!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Thank you all for your continued support - this is a good start. I still have to go through the emails, so please don't take offense if I don't respond right away.

Regards,
Neil
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

I would absolutely attend and help out in any way possible, if it was on the right side of the globe : p
Neil

Post by Neil »

This is MTBS! Every side is the right side...

Regards,
Neil
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Other side of the screen isn't too far but 13 hours of flight is a tad tough though. I wish all of you a nice time!
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Same place as him ^ so i agree, still want to show my support though : )
NiceGuyAndersson
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NiceGuyAndersson »

Same place as him ^
Definitely going though! :D
DFP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DFP »

Very interested in coming down from BC, Canada. Would be nice for there to be an accompanying online virtual convention center with trailers and information boards set up at different stations.
drifter

Post by drifter »

Why not follow Palmer's advice and combine forces with another well traveled developer convention ? (GDC 2014 ?)
Neil

Post by Neil »

Why not follow Palmer's advice and combine forces with another well traveled developer convention ? (GDC 2014 ?)
I'm not prepared to discuss this yet. There are other things that need to be established first.

Regards,
Neil
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Something odd... the 'View first unread post' does not seem to work for the stickies. Normally it jumps me immediately down to the new post(s), but in the sticky it just loads the first post! I have to rely on my sub-standard memory to guide me to the posts I think are new, else re-read the thread - bothersome!
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Neil

Post by Neil »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Something odd... the 'View first unread post' does not seem to work for the stickies. Normally it jumps me immediately down to the new post(s), but in the sticky it just loads the first post! I have to rely on my sub-standard memory to guide me to the posts I think are new, else re-read the thread - bothersome!

It's probably because you are looking at "Global Stickies" or stickies that are across the entire forum.

Regards,
Neil
xef6
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by xef6 »

I would be up for attending in person!
RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoadKillGrill »

If the date is a good week I will definitly attend.
djlins
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by djlins »

I own a small software company in the UK so coming over would take some planning. But yeah I would like to be involved with this somehow and am really excited about getting my dev kit soon.

I'll speak to you all more when I get my hands on it, and start with the asked before newbie questions ;)

Lins.
queezey
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by queezey »

I would be very interested in attending
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

I'd think an event like this would sit very nicely with or close to Siggraph and that has several locations worldwide.

Just my 2c.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hello everyone!

While I need to keep some items close to the chest, we've secured our first major partner for ConVRge. I'm proud to say that you don't get much bigger than these guys, we have their endorsement in writing to help draw additional sponsors and partners (privately), and we are now working on the next stage of ConVRge development. I'll be happy to make a more revealing announcement once we have more puzzle pieces in place.

I apologize for not communicating regularly about this effort. We remain very excited and committed to its development and launch.

If you are or are looking to be in the business of VR, AR, 3D, haptics, or any other form of immersive tech, please email convrge@mtbs3d.com. This includes both hardware and software developers. On condition we can count on your non-disclosure, we will be able to reveal our first strategic partner, and I'm confident you will be equally impressed and excited to get involved.

If you have already contacted me and haven't received a response yet, worry not. I've been keeping everything on record and will follow-up. I needed to complete some tasks first.

Regards,
Neil
branney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by branney »

If I was in the correct continent, I would be there. Will the date be announced soon?

Return to “Oculus VR”