Virtuix Omni - Omni treadmill for VR applications

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Re: Virtuix Omni - Omni treadmill for VR applications

Post by ftarnogol »

I'll need one soon. Do you think you'll be able to ship overseas?
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

brantlew wrote:
Just to clear up any confusion here. Both Jan and Flassan use a rough prototype "stationary-only" version of the Red Rovr software. As Jan pointed out, it's not as functional as the Kinect, but it suffers from less latency and is simpler to setup - being just a phone in your pocket in the simplest case.

I just wanted to mention here that head trackers like the one contained in the Rift also contain inertial sensors - so in theory you could write motion detection software (similar to Red Rovr) using just the hardware in the Rift.
Very cool, is there any plan to release that tracker?

brantlew wrote:@Jan & Flassan: as hardware-only these passive walking devices are only useful to a handful of enthusiasts. To increase the value of your products and to reach a much broader market, I think you should seriously consider investing in and adding a major software component to your packages. The Rift would be in the same category if not for the Oculus SDK which allows studios (instead of just hobbyists) to integrate with the device.
I was thinking the same thing. Even some Kinect software and/or your stationary tracker would be a very good addition the the Kickstarter.

Make it happen guys.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Okta wrote:Very cool, is there any plan to release that tracker?
Sure. There's one in every Rift. ;)
Okta

Post by Okta »

brantlew wrote:

I meant your software for the phone tracker 8-)
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Okta wrote:
brantlew wrote:

Oh. Sorry, no can do. Oculus pwns my ass now. :lol:

PS. Why did you change your avatar? I miss the sexy biker chic.
Zoide
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Zoide »

brantlew wrote:Oh. Sorry, no can do. Oculus pwns my ass now. :lol:
Well, that sucks. I hope something good comes from that.
Okta

Post by Okta »

brantlew wrote:
Okta wrote:
brantlew wrote:

Oh. Sorry, no can do. Oculus pwns my ass now. :lol:

PS. Why did you change your avatar? I miss the sexy biker chic.
:idea: and the tracker is in every Rift...... ;)

Tron girl, yes she gave me special feelings :lol: a nice mixture of geek raunchiness. Unfortunately every time my 3yo daughter sees it she pointed and said "I can see her bum bum". LMAO :lol:
Also she was my first female avatar, I have always felt a bit wierd about using female avatars.... :?

Aside from that, a change is as good as a holiday so they say. Time to pay homage to some awesome VR/AR books I have read recently like Read Player One, Daemon, Altered Carbon...
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

JanVR wrote: Definitely a good call regarding the Leap – any alternative tracking options can be used. The main advantage of the Kinect is that it tracks the full body, allowing for recognition of jumping, crouching, hand movements, etc. But, the Kinect is not flawless yet. Actually, Brantlew’s Red Rovr system, using inertial sensors, works really well - consistent and accurate (and cheap, for that matter).
Kudos to Brantlew, that's good news if no Kinect or Leap are needed. Leap drivers are quite locked down and they don't make drivers for Linux, the new Kinect will be most probably tied directly to the new xbox hardware. It also seems that they lovered the input lag from 90ms to 60ms only, which may still not be enough. http://www.vgleaks.com/durango-next-gen ... ct-sensor/
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

Okta wrote: Aside from that, a change is as good as a holiday so they say. Time to pay homage to some awesome VR/AR books I have read recently like Read Player One, Daemon, Altered Carbon...
Not to derail further but Richard K Morgan is absolutely fantastic and anyone who likes cyberpunk should give the Altered Carbon trilogy a read. (Warning: He does write extremely explicit sex scenes and is pretty in to left wing politics.)

Here's another link for the rumored USB3 Kinect specs. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... specs-leak I suspect this won't be any more difficult to reverse engineer drivers for than the last one, but who knows. Microsoft will probably release a PC version with an API as soon as they can build enough to satisfy both markets. Say three to six months after Xbox Next launch? The good news is, significantly wider FOV should mean it will work closer in. I don't know if it will be quite wide enough to put on the waist ring but it's at least getting closer.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Great looking device, when this goes to kickstarter i will definitely be pledging, one thought though, (you may already have this on your low friction shoes but haven't been through all of the posts yet) have you thought about having a high friction material on the toe section of the shoe for pushing off when you start walking, quickly turning etc, i imagine it will have to be slightly recessed so that you don't actually catch it, but this would be very useful, again, sorry if it's already been talked about or incorporated in the design.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Shent, your suggestion had not come up yet, but you are right on the money - I have been experimenting with that idea and similar concepts.

The discussion regarding integrating sensors and software into the product is very relevant. A mass consumer product would require a fully integrated solution. This is not something that I can get done pre-Kickstarter (takes time and money and people), so the initial product offering on Kickstarter will be rather bare bones, but will include basic Kinect software with simple UI and user calibration etc. (any software will simply be free and available to download by anyone).

Even though inertial sensors are a great option, I do believe that ultimately, optical full body tracking is the future, as I see VR with full body avatar applications.

The whole integrated solution idea is definitely something we all need to work towards. If you could offer a full VR set (Omni + Rift + tracker + wireless controller + software) for sub $1,000, you would open a whole new consumer market, much like the PC did in the early 90s.
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

Jan, i'll have my gun model posted for you this weekend, i think this is gonna be great!
alekki
Cross Eyed!

Post by alekki »

Sorry if this has been asked before.

What kind of motions does the current (and planned?) Kinect software detect? Does it basically just emulate pressing W when it detects some kind of walking motion? Or does it detect backwards walking and maybe even strafing as well? I don't know if strafing is even possible on the Omni, though I don't think it's that critical anyway. Would it be possible to walk and look into different directions? If not, I wonder what would be the best way to implement this. Maybe if the software could tell the angle between the direction you're looking and the direction your legs are moving, it could emulate pushing analog stick in the same angle. I wonder if this could be done with Kinect or if you'd need a tracker attached to your belt or something.

The hardware is of course your highest priority right now so I understand if you don't have a solution to this yet.
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Yeah i thinking keeping it simple (compared to integrating a bunch of sensors) is the key at the moment to creating a successful omni treadmill. The choice of how to track body parts is huge, and whilst no method within the consumers reach is without it's flaws, be it escalating cost, lack of accuracy, latency etc....you've made a wise move.

Getting the walking experience working well is paramount, and a leap to a great VR setup, i would say that this device is as important as the Rift for the evolution of VR.

I can't wait to see it on kickstarter, good luck.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Dante, looking forward to your gun model - keep it up!

Alekki, the Kinect software currently only recognizes forward movement (walking and sprinting). Strafing and backward walking is definitely possible on the Omni (see the non-game demo), but differentiating strafing from forward movement on a 360 degrees platform is not an easy programming feat, since forward becomes sideways and sideways becomes forward as you turn. It is, however, possible if you can somehow detect and register the facing direction of the user (perhaps via the shoulders).

De-coupling looking direction and walking direction greatly increases the immersion. Red Rovr had this built in. You could achieve this via the Kinect as well, but is again not an easy programming feat (and I am not a software guy; I sure wish I was!)

Per Shent's comment, right now I am mainly focused on the hardware part (and some basic support software), as I do hope that some great developers will be interested to come up with software and applications. A big void to be filled and plenty of opportunity for anyone with the right programming skills.
MSat

Post by MSat »

Strafing in games has only been implemented as a way to to intuitively decouple aiming from walking due to the restraints of input control. It's less important in VR when you actually have real aim decoupling. Think about how you would circle strafe in real life - you would be walking forwards or backwards in a circle, with your weapon aimed to the side, and not sidestep in a circle with your gun aimed forwards.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

MSat wrote:Strafing in games has only been implemented as a way to to intuitively decouple aiming from walking due to the restraints of input control. It's less important in VR when you actually have real aim decoupling. Think about how you would circle strafe in real life - you would be walking forwards or backwards in a circle, with your weapon aimed to the side, and not sidestep in a circle with your gun aimed forwards.

So, so true! Let's first focus on getting normal walking/running and turning to work correctly. Strafing is somewhat nice to have but definitely not a necessity.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Actually, while I know what you mean, in real life I frequently strafe, and circle strafe, while playing airsoft and paintball. I also walk forward and aim to the side, both have their uses. Its harder to dodge back if you are walking forward/backwards instead of leaning/strafing simultaneously...
MSat

Post by MSat »

WiredEarp wrote:Actually, while I know what you mean, in real life I frequently strafe, and circle strafe, while playing airsoft and paintball. I also walk forward and aim to the side, both have their uses. Its harder to dodge back if you are walking forward/backwards instead of leaning/strafing simultaneously...

I agree that being able to side step is still important, but not at the level in which it's done in most games - which is extremely unrealistic (I'd like to see someone sidestep as quickly as they can run forwards). I just wanted to point out that while it's extremely important in games without decoupling, it's not as big a deal with decoupling.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Strafing is very natural, intuitive and important. IRL you can do whatever mixture of fancy stepping to suit your needs. An example is stepping aside to let someone through a doorway or out a lift, then you sidestep again to line yourself up with the doorway. Strafing is way more important in a standard fps where you would have to turn 90 degrees, move a tiny bit, turn 90 degree again just because you misjudged a doorway and walked into the wall. I agree that this is partially because of the fixed aim/move standard in current games but I still see it as a requirement once head/hips are decoupled. Otherwise it will be like walking around in a tank or battlemech and VERY frustrating.
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

Okta wrote:Strafing is very natural, intuitive and important. IRL you can do whatever mixture of fancy stepping to suit your needs. An example is stepping aside to let someone through a doorway or out a lift, then you sidestep again to line yourself up with the doorway. Strafing is way more important in a standard fps where you would have to turn 90 degrees, move a tiny bit, turn 90 degree again just because you misjudged a doorway and walked into the wall. I agree that this is partially because of the fixed aim/move standard in current games but I still see it as a requirement once head/hips are decoupled. Otherwise it will be like walking around in a tank or battlemech and VERY frustrating.
This. I would be highly annoyed if I had a loss of mobility because strafing suddenly disappeared. People don't always walk in perfectly straight lines. You would need a more complex setup to fully capture all the intricacies of human locomotion, but in the meantime we can at least try to maintain the same level of control we currently have.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

A large number of common uses for strafing are confined to "single-step" adjustments like the aforementioned side step through a doorway or shifting around an obstacle like a chair in your path. But if you have to take more than one step, then your body naturally tends to swivel the hips and start walking "forward". You wouldn't walk up to a car and then crab-walk to the side to move around it in real life! Certainly there are some tactical scenarios where true cross-step strafing may be used, but they are not as common and can be substituted with other means of locomotion. So that simplifies the problem a small bit. If single-step side moves are allowed then that can cover a wide array of use cases for side motion. Allowing the full range and variety of motion including cross stepping and swivel motions is extremely challenging for a device and is probably a compromise that we will have to learn to live without for any stationary locomotion devices.

(but of course free-walking does not have this limitation :) )
Last edited by brantlew on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

The discussion about strafing is very relevant. Per MSat's point, strafing exists in games mainly to allow you to move away FROM an enemy while still looking and shooting AT him. Your gun and look is always aimed forward, so the game needs to allow you to move sideways. In real life, you would mostly rather move forward, and have your look and gun be sideways (thus, the reverse).

For the Omni to work well in FPS, de-coupling of looking and walking will be absolutely necessary. Otherwise, when looking and shooting at an enemy, you would only be able to stand still or walk towards him (or strafe away, if included, but again, I haven't seen many soldiers IRL huppling to the side when under fire).

Unfortunately, de-coupling looking and walking with just a Kinect is not an easy feat. Red Rovr used input from the HDM sensor to accomplish this. Luckily I saw on another thread that Oculus has started working on tracking algorithms. Brantlew??? Ha. Sure wish you were still a free mercenary :)
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

JanVR wrote:Unfortunately, de-coupling looking and walking with just a Kinect is not an easy feat. Red Rovr used input from the HDM sensor to accomplish this. Luckily I saw on another thread that Oculus has started working on tracking algorithms. Brantlew??? Ha. Sure wish you were still a free mercenary
Thinking more about the upcoming Kinect 2. One thing that I was thinking was that - although I don't think it will be sufficient for head tracking (meaning controlling the camera view), I am curious whether it may be accurate and fast enough to implement head/torso offset computations for decoupling.
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

Janvr how will you implement the rift if its is wired in? @palmertech and @Janvr or will the Oculus rift be wireless in the consumer version? and If so, how does it send its information with little latency? Your answer could help in my design for my vr gun.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

@dantesinferno

I don't have time to find it right now, but there is another thread discussing ways to route the HMD cables overhead, and allow 360 degree rotation using slip-rings on the overhead junction. I haven't been keeping up with it, but I think there are probably some good ideas in there.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

FingerFlinger wrote:@dantesinferno

I don't have time to find it right now, but there is another thread discussing ways to route the HMD cables overhead, and allow 360 degree rotation using slip-rings on the overhead junction. I haven't been keeping up with it, but I think there are probably some good ideas in there.
Yup. Check out these two threads:

Oculus Rift - Slip Ring Ideas

Continuous 360 cord turning
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

It looks like the Omni has a logo now! Check it out at the Virtuix Omni YouTube page.

And a webpage at http://www.virtuix.com :)
ftarnogol
Cross Eyed!

Post by ftarnogol »

JanVR wrote:Hi all,

I finally decided on a name of my locomotion device: the Virtuix Omni (Virtuix will be the company name, Omni the product name). It has been an exciting two weeks. I decided to quit my day job and focus on this device full time. The ability to physically walk around in a game is mind blowing and brings virtual reality (and entertainment, for that matter) to a whole new level. I am going all-in to try to make this dream become a reality and try to get this device into the hands of VR enthusiasts.

I posted an updated video below to the Virtuix Omni youtube channel. The software is now able to recognize crouching/jumping and arm gestures to steer the game. I was also able to use the platform to walk around in Skyrim – a great experience.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmukXVHW6F4

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmukXVHW6F4[/youtube]

I will be working towards a Kickstarter launch of the Omni in the next couple of months. I started building a new prototype that will be much smaller, more compact, and better looking. Design work has started to make this device look appealing and be structurally sound and user friendly (easy entry/exit, easy assembly/disassembly, smooth support assembly, etc.) See below for an initial rendering.
001.jpg
I also started preparations for the Kickstarter video, and am looking to include fascinating applications for the Rift and Omni that could take virtual reality to the next level. I will probably start a new thread to get all your input and ideas. If you have an interesting VR application that could work well with the Omni, let me know. Some high profile endorsements, like in the Rift video, would be helpful, too.

The device is not ready yet for mass market consumers. It is not a plug-n-play device (you would need add-ons like a Kinect or other tracking, software, wireless controllers, etc.), and much like the Rift, this device needs creative developers to create exciting applications. I hope to get as many Omni’s into the hands of as many VR enthusiasts and developers as possible, so that an ecosystem can start to develop.

I believe the Oculus Rift is driving a new virtual reality wave that is slowly but steadily catching the attention of mass media. I hope that the Virtuix Omni can bring an additional layer of excitement, bringing entertainment to another dimension that even excites non-VR enthusiasts. I believe that in 10 years, we will look back and scratch our heads about “how we used to play games sitting down with a keyboard and a mouse.” I could see a VR set-up with Omni and Rift in every household. Applications go way beyond gaming: exercising, training, simulation, virtual tourism, teleconferencing, physical therapy, VR events, … the sky is the limit. Exciting times for VR enthusiasts like us!

Thanks for all your support thus far. Looking forward to your input, as I will work every day to keep improving the Omni. I am putting all my life savings into this project, and am not planning to make a profit on the Kickstarter campaign (just want it out to as many folks as possible and take a long term view), so any help and input is welcome. Let's make VR happen!

Jan
Consider me your first backer when you launch the kickstarter.

PS: I just sent you an email through your website
<a href="http://phobos.psychologicaltechnologies.com">Link text</a>
Dantesinferno
Cross Eyed!

Post by Dantesinferno »

Hey @janvr almost done with that gun design, itll be done by the end of march
JanVR
Cross Eyed!

Post by JanVR »

Dante, your gun looks off to a good start - keep it up. There is definitely a void for good working wireless guns for use in VR. Keep us posted, looking forward to seeing more.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Re the strafing issue, IMHO it is highly important for realistic VR representation. While it might not be used much in reality or in the VR, it is a motion we are used to performing, and it not being there will be a solid reminder of the unreality of our environment. However, I do agree that its not required, for example, the Virtuality games never had sideways (or backwards!) movement either, and they just moved with a gun controller. It was surprisingly easy to get good with (of course, it had independent hip movement, so you could run around your opponent while shooting, so there wasn't so much need for strafe).

However, if we are talking about foot input devices in general, I think strafing's importance should not be minimized. While it simplifies the design greatly (would make it possible to use 2 dimensional devices such as steppers and ski trainers as a base) I like to think the input devices in our near futures will allow us to place our feet individually and where we want.
TemporalDrift
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TemporalDrift »

Nice one... Looking forward to glimpse of the prototype.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Looks like there's a Skyrim video that's been uploaded!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHrdBWP01J8[/youtube]

I would recommend that you try to get a higher FPS in future video recordings - the (expected) head bob combined with the low FPS makes for quite an uncomfortable viewing experience. I feel this would be greatly improved with higher FPS. If computer beef is the issue, I for one would prefer to see a smooth 480p video than a low-fps 720p one!

Also, if you weren't aware, Nathan Andrews (aka adoral84) who made the HL2 independent gun tracking mod seems to be making great progress with Crysis now! http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... ead#unread
You guys are both working on extremely important pieces of the VR puzzle, but the magic happens when everything is combined! :) I can't tell you how excited I am about the potential of Oculus Rift + Virtuix Omni + tracked gun peripheral.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

@JanVR: In that video posted by THC above, does the head bobbing sync to the player's steps, or are you syncing your steps to pre-programmed head bobbing?

Also, that head bobbing seems a bit extreme for VR. Although your head does move up and down a bit while walking, you tend to compensate with neck tilt to keep the horizon from bobbing. The bobbing horizon would make me a little "sea sick", I think...

Is there a fairly painless way to reduce or eliminate non-tracked head bobbing in that game?
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

geekmaster wrote:Is there a fairly painless way to reduce or eliminate non-tracked head bobbing in that game?
Nothing in the standard game options, but fortunately skyrim is pretty open for modding! Found a mod that looks to do exactly that after a quick google search:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1450
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
jaybug

Post by jaybug »

I'd be willing to pledge to a kickstarter, if only to get you a computer capable of recording in higher frames per second :P
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

i think the image your eyes perceive is different from that what you see
from the screen capture. Your eyes have a build-in image stabilizator, what causes a pretty straight perception, but the screen capture is of course bobbing because the display and tracker are mounted immovable to your head.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

TheHolyChicken wrote:
geekmaster wrote:Is there a fairly painless way to reduce or eliminate non-tracked head bobbing in that game?
Nothing in the standard game options, but fortunately skyrim is pretty open for modding! Found a mod that looks to do exactly that after a quick google search:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1450
Great, thanks!

I would LOVE to see another video like that from JanVR, except while using a mod like the one at your link. That bobbing really WAS making me a bit ill even without an HMD (but my 2560x1440 monitor sitting 18-inches from my face does provide a fairly large fullscreen FoV).

@JanVR: Could you please post a video with the pre-programmed head bobbing removed? Thanks. Also, are you syncing your footsteps to match that head bobbing? Does falling out of step cause any motion sickness?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

colocolo wrote:i think the image your eyes perceive is different from that what you see
from the screen capture. Your eyes have a build-in image stabilizator, what causes a pretty straight perception, but the screen capture is of course bobbing because the display and tracker are mounted immovable to your head.
When your eyes roll vertically to provide such stabilization, they are autonomically DRIVEN by the vestibular system in your inner ear. But in this VR simulation, that sensory coupling is missing, as can be seen in the video. If you compare the inset video of JanVR to the game video, you will see that while his head is being held so his gaze remains "stabilized" at the REAL horizon, the VR view of the horizon in the video is bobbing, which causes a decoupling between visual and vestibular senses that can cause motion sickness.

I am still feeling a bit dizzy after watching that video with a large FoV monitor, and wearing an HMD with that uncoupled head bobbing cannot be much better (and perhaps worse)...

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”