VR GAming Setup With Elliptical

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
langmyersknow
One Eyed Hopeful

VR GAming Setup With Elliptical

Post by langmyersknow »

HI guys,

After watching this guys videos, I tried contacting him, but to no avail, I don't think he speaks english, or maybe he's busy .

Anyways, do you guys know how he's translating the elliptical movement to forward (w), and backward (s) .

It looks like he just connects it to usb.

Here's the video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFNTA6MTTD4
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: VR GAming Setup With Elliptical

Post by AdaAugmented »

I was looking at this guy's setup on youtube earlier and my best guess is that he's using kinect to detect all the body motion stuff and just using the elliptical trainer to give him a platform to run in place on. I'm inspired by this guy's videos and I think I might try to duplicate the system at some point.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Reminds me of the Sarcos Uniport :

Maybe you can find papers on the Web about how this one did work.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Here's the guy's website. He says he's using an "Orbitrack" elliptical, but he doesn't seem to specify the model. I think it's an older version of this. I also don't know if these Orbitreks come with a USB plug already built-in or if he installed one himself.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

If you had an elliptical trainer with electronically adjustable resistance you could possibly simulate change in terrain gradient quite easily.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I just bought one of these last week for $199:
http://www.amazon.com/Weslo-WLEL83012-M ... B009P9RK4Q

It does have electronically adjustable friction (including preprogrammed "terrain"). I would have to hack it to make that track game terrain.

It tried walking with no hands, but it was too precarious (and worse with blocked vision). However, it works well when holding one of the inner stationary handles (which also reads pulse rate).

If I were to hold a controller in front of me (weapon, or hydra controller), I would have to remove the upper portion of the long outer handles to prevent colliding with the weapon controller. I would be tempted to add controller buttons/sticks to the inner support handles on the elliptical machine, so I could use both hands while supporting myself with one hand.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

It tried walking with no hands, but it was too precarious (and worse with blocked vision). However, it works well when holding one of the inner stationary handles (which also reads pulse rate).
Maybe you could attach some straps to secure your shoes in place? Or, if you want to get fancy, use ski boots and clamps.

EDIT: Or just attach some shoes/strap-sandals directly to the pedals :D
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

twofoe wrote:
Maybe you could attach some straps to secure your shoes in place? Or, if you want to get fancy, use ski boots and clamps.

Yes, that way, when you fall off, instead of just hitting the ground you twist your ankles.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

Mystify wrote:
twofoe wrote:

Yes, that way, when you fall off, instead of just hitting the ground you twist your ankles.
Wouldn't be a problem with something like ski boots, since they support your ankles.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Fredz wrote:Reminds me of the Sarcos Uniport :

Maybe you can find papers on the Web about how this one did work.
That would be good for preparing troops for riding unicycles on the battle field. The enemy troops would die of laughter. :lol:
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

twofoe wrote:
Mystify wrote:
twofoe wrote: Maybe you could attach some straps to secure your shoes in place? Or, if you want to get fancy, use ski boots and clamps.

Wouldn't be a problem with something like ski boots, since they support your ankles.
That way when you fall off, instead of hitting the ground and twisting your ankles, you can pull the elliptical trainer on top of you as well. trollface.jpg

I imagine with practice you could use the elliptical without your hands, but I liked the fixed gun style setup in a few of the videos of the guy linked in the OP. Seems like an elegant way to get gun tracking and support so you don't fall over.
twofoe
Cross Eyed!

Post by twofoe »

AdaAugmented wrote:
twofoe wrote:
Mystify wrote: Yes, that way, when you fall off, instead of just hitting the ground you twist your ankles.
That way when you fall off, instead of hitting the ground and twisting your ankles, you can pull the elliptical trainer on top of you as well. trollface.jpg
Bolt the elliptical to the ground ;)

This is just going to keep escalating until we have this:

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”