Ibex Virtual Reality Desktop Environment for HMDs

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Ibex Virtual Reality Desktop Environment for HMDs

Post by benz145 »

Ibex is a project by Hesham Wahba (MTSB3Ders will know him as 'druidsbane') to create a virtual reality desktop environment for use with the Rift and other HMDs. Some of you may have seen him working along with LeeN and NickK here at MTBS3D. I got the inside scroop on the project, which is called Ibex, straight from Wahba. I must say I'm really excited about the possibilities of the finished project and I can't wait to give it a shot with the Oculus Rift!

http://www.roadtovr.com/2012/09/24/ibex ... -rift-1325
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Ibex Virtual Reality Desktop Environment for HMDs

Post by BOLL »

I have watched his videos a few times already :D probably via your site, haha. I wish he would have an RSS-feed at his site so I can keep track of development updates, hehe. Right now I'm running windows and mac, but not linux... guess that'll have to change.

Lets hope the consumer Rift will have resolution enough to be feasible to use with a virtual desktop setup, I guess other HDMs would make more sense, from experience I don't want the TV-on-my-head feel though.

It would be super awesome to simulate any number of screens you'd like... and the amount of desktop space that would be saved? Insane! Also, think of the environmental impact? Less screens to produce, less shipping, less cardboard boxes etc. Everyone would just need a headset! The fuuuutuuuuure is a coooming! (sorry, still severely hyped about all this.)

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”