Why FOV is so important in an HMD

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
TheRealistWord
Two Eyed Hopeful

Why FOV is so important in an HMD

Post by TheRealistWord »

Hey all! It’s been a long time since I’ve posted, though I’ve been lurking around for quite awhile. After reading the recent feedback and all of the potential with PalmerTech and John Carmack’s Oculus Rift, I was inspired to share some thoughts on why the FOV in an HMD is extremely important. Disclaimer: I’m not the best with 3D and explanations, but hopefully you can find some things to think about and discuss with what I’m about to say! Please feel free to correct me. If you want the condensed version, feel free to just skip ahead to the last couple of paragraphs ;)

Arguably one of the most critical and significant factors in determining the level of immersion in any virtual demonstration is the FOV. It’s an understated concept that often plays backseat to stereoscopic 3D images. I’m not going to pretend that I’m a mastermind when it comes to 3D concepts, or that I’m keenly knowledgeable about all the terms, technology, and history, but I would like to share some personal thoughts about why FOV is extremely important and should be one of the greater areas of focus in our never ending voyage of increasing the level of immersion in virtual applications. Oh, and I have some experiments too, so grab a coffee, put on your sleekest pair of reading glasses, and shut up. Let’s discuss ;)

First of all, close your right eye and look around the room (do it. I’m watching you). Seems pretty normal, huh? Lacking that second eye and only viewing the world from one eye renders your entire vision as a flat surface, but despite this truth, everything still feels fine and groovy. We still have a considerably significant sense of depth though, but this is created from visual cues - shadows cast across objects, spatial arrangement, just knowing offhand that the remote control is smaller than the TV but appears larger in your sight (indicating it’s closer to you), etc. But closing one eye suddenly didn’t transport us to this completely flat realm where you feel like you’re sitting on a completely flat canvas. Not at all - we still feel like we’re laying down on our sofa, sitting out on the patio, or even planted in front of an HDTV watching a questionable documentary about naked bumble bees. This is the first hint that perhaps, maybe just maybe, 3D isn't the total determining factor of how immersive a virtual environment appears! And you’re exactly right!

A couple years back, my family and I took a trip to Disney World. I was a bit late on this, being an adult and all, but you’re never too old for your first Disney trip (or baby food)! At DisneyQuest (an arcade located in Downtown Disney), they had a particular arcade game I was immediately drawn to - Aladdin’s Magic Carpet Ride. It was advertised as a 3D virtual experience, where the players would don VR helmets and ride around a city collecting gems and destroying baddies. “Disney World, one of the most respected, innovative theme parks in the entire world, with their own take on 3D? This has definitely gotta be good!” But, I was terribly disappointed. The 3D effect was there, yes, but the display was blurry, the tracking crawling with latency issues, and as far as I can recall, the FOV was uncomfortably low. Why wasn’t my entire peripheral vision basking in the glory of Aladdin’ness? Did this VR game fall victim to another case of the common tunnelvision? And more importantly, where was Aladdin at?

I was disappointed and my hopes for immersive, innovative virtual experiences at Disney suddenly vanished. The next morning, we waited in line for another ride - Soarin’. It wasn’t touted as a virtual reality experience, it had no 3D effects whatsoever, yet it completely blew me away, enveloped me in the visuals, and reaffirmed my belief that maybe there is hope for the future of immersive virtual environments. No 3D glasses and no 3D screen, so what exactly was Soarin’s killer feature? The unbelievably huge FOV. For those who haven’t had the chance to experience this incredible ride - you and a bunch of other riders are lifted up slightly above the ground, and in front of you sits a massively large screen that shows a prerecorded video of soarin’(!) over green fields, trees, rivers, all accompanied by simulated wind and scents. The part that really takes the cake though, is the size of the screen. It’s designed in such a manner that your entire FOV is occupied by this screen, so no matter where you glance (so long as you don’t drastically turn your head), you’ll never catch sight of the screen’s borders. So besides the lack of 3D, there’s not too much to prevent Soarin’ from cleverly tricking your brain into believing that you’re really gliding over that lush green habitat. And it truly, honestly does work.

I walked away literally smiling. It was the most immersive, welcoming virtual application I ever had the opportunity of experiencing. And get this - no 3D! The incredibly high level of immersion was created almost entirely by the impressive FOV. I also remember reading an impression article on Gizmodo (or some similar tech blog) about the article’s author standing in front of a new insanely high-resolution, large screen TV on display, commenting about how incredibly immersive the experience felt especially when compared to a 3D HDTV.

So a wide FOV must be that golden relic, the king’s coveted jewel, the answer to all of our monotonously flat, unexciting virtual worlds, right? So then, it can pretty much be assumed, based on this compelling (albeit, firsthand) evidence, that all those big video game developers, the tv manufacturers, that dude named Bob on the street corner who says he has something ‘cool’ to show you in his coat pocket, must be focusing all of their efforts and spending tons of cash with R&D on creating devices that boast a wide FOV, right? Right?!

Well, no...

Here comes the sad truth that keeps me up at night - The industry is currently focused on pumping out HMD’s and devices that proclaim convincing 3D effects, but also almost completely ignore the importance of FOV. 3D HDTV’s are very slowly gaining a noticeable foothold in the television market with increased technology and drastic price reductions (You can pick up a 42” inch 3D HDTV for under $600!), and with the onslaught of 3D capable devices hitting the market every few months, it’s no surprise that the industry is trying to shove 3D down consumer’s throats. Nintendo, one of the biggest players in the history of video games, took a risk and released the newest iteration of their mobile gaming line as a 3D capable device, even going so far as using the 3D technology as the main selling point of the device. Heck, even the word “3D” sits right in the title of the 3DS. Some cell phone manufacturers are also gleaming at the potential of 3D technology, most recently HTC with its EVO 3D android phone. Movies, video games, cell phones, and just about any other form of media you can imagine are all getting a 3D makeover. I can’t imagine the last time I saw more than five movie trailers without at least one of them tossing out a variant of the stock line: “Also in eye popping 3D!” It’s not necessarily a new trend either - the resurgence of anaglyph glasses isn’t quite as recent as you might imagine (and invented even longer ago in the 1800’s!).

But before I have an angry mob lead by James Cameron and Shigeru Miyamoto arriving at my door, I’ll confess that 3D viewing technology DOES have the potential of being a wonderful thing. It’s badass (and admittedly, a bit scary) seeing Alice in RE:Afterlife tossing a set of shurikens right off of the screen towards my throat, and Disney World implementing some really appealing 3D effects in their short film cinemas. Without diverging too much from the importance of FOV, I think the most incredible 3D experiences rely on objects popping out of the wall, rather than sitting inside ala the window effect. If you want to have your mind blown and experience one of the most amazing out-of-the-wall 3D experiences possible with a consumer level price tag, I highly recommend you check out NVidia’s logo demo (included with their 3D Vision control panel). I had my ACER H5360 hooked up to my 3D Vision capable PC projecting a 100” image on my livingroom wall, and the spinning logo literally seems to completely tear away from the wall and hover directly in your livingroom, right in front of your face. I excitedly picked up a stick and waved it around (hope no one was watching...), and there was a definite sense of when the stick I held in my hand was in front of the virtual logo’s plane, and behind it. I imagined the potential of video games utilizing this incredible sense of 3D, perhaps a Donkey Kong-esque arcade game that relies on traversing through the Z axis. Unfortunately, through the countless number of 3D images and videos I’ve shuffled through, I could never again find anything that had such a strongly compelling 3D effect as that NVidia animated 3D logo demo. My point however - 3D effects that lend to virtual objects separating from the screen and populating your real world environment seem to have a much more convincing and appealing effect than those that rely on staring into the screen. For a brief period of time, I owned a 3DS and purchased a few games. All of them presented 3D in the window effect - nothing popped out. Everything was set back inside the screen at varying distances, almost as if you’re staring into a little aquarium filled with Mario and Rayman and that weird Sonic baddie I can never remember the name of. Yeah, sure, it was kind of cool, but I wanted things to pop! I also experimented with a couple of 3D addons for the iPhone/iPod Touch (such as Grilli 3D sheets and Hasbro's My3D), but they too also presented only the window effect. So you must be thinking, “You’re beating a dead horse, man. What does all this 3D stuff have to do with FOV, the whole point of this article?!” I’m getting there, patience my friends ;)

3D does play a mentionable role in increasing the immersion factor, though when weighed against FOV, not entirely noticeable at first. Remember when I had you cover up one eye and glance around your room, while the neighbor’s pointed and laughed? Do that again. But this time, with one eye still closed, take your hand and extend it far in front of you so it’s lined up with the side of your computer monitor (or laptop screen, or cell phone, or SUPER VIEWMASTER 3000XZHAHA). Now, move your hand further back until it extends past your monitor, so it’s essentially behind your monitor on the Z axis but still visible. Repeatedly tell your brain, “My hand and my monitor are directly right next to each other”, even though you’re well aware that your hand is, in fact, extending past your monitor. In a few moments, you’ll begin to see and believe that your hand and monitor are right next to each other. Odd, isn’t it? Now, without adjusting the position of your hand, open your other eye and you’ll immediately see your hand sink into its proper position as your sense of depth is enhanced. This is an example of how 3D must also be present in conjunction with a wide FOV to achieve a higher level of immersion. Individually, both are capable factors of increasing immersion, but together is when they function best.

I would say, concerning FOV and 3D in regards to the level of immersion, FOV plays a much greater role. The immersion factor could probably be attributed to 80% FOV and 20% 3D (just personal figures I’ve derived from my own experiences, by no means solid statistics). So long as the virtual environment is being rendered in the majority of your FOV, peripheral vision included, and the visuals are legible, immersion seems to nearly be guaranteed to increase considerably.

I have one final experiment for you, and this one requires an iPad (any generation, but third will work best with certain videos) or any other device with a fairly decent resolution and roughly a 10” or similar sized screen. Browse youtube for any HD video recorded in first person (POV - point of view), and position the tablet in landscape mode so that the video fills the entire screen. Now, close one eye and hold the tablet about an inch or less in front of your other eye, such that when staring forward (without glancing off to the sides), all you can see is the screen. Play the video and observe how there’s a noticeable increase in the immersion level as opposed to watching the video from afar without filling most of your FOV. In some cases, I found myself smiling and laughing at how much I really felt like I was there, walking through the forest or riding the rollercoaster, which strengthens the fact of how important FOV is. The few people I’ve had try this had similar results. I have to toss you a disclaimer though - DO NOT FOCUS! Keep your eyes completely relaxed and make no attempts whatsoever to focus on the screen - it will most likely cause you incredible eye strain, discomfort, and potential headaches, and truthfully, I actually sort of advise not even trying this, for the fact that you’re holding a screen so close to your vision and the thought of any damage this could cause repeatedly doing this overtime is unsettling. But this is just a little “this-is-what-I’m-trying-to-show-and-tell-everyone” type of experiment, a way to see how important a wide FOV field is when concerning immersion.

Wide FOV = good. And PalmerTech and John Carmack get this. I’m sure most of you have been checking out the thread on here about PalmerTech’s Oculus Rift, and John’s modifications with the HMD to run the 3D-capable Doom 3 BFG edition. I’m extremely excited about this product, because they’re actually putting a considerable amount of focus on one of the most influential factors in determining the immersion factor - the FOV. It makes me anxious and excited that these two understand the FOV’s importance, something that almost seems to go unnoticed even in commercial HMD’s that carry a crazy high price tag. And best of all, the Rift is being offered at a consumer level price. Before this begins to sound too formal/article-like/review’ish, I just want to say thanks guys, the future is looking bright! I just have this hunch that this might be a nudge, or maybe even a considerable step, in the right direction to marketing HMD’s closer to average consumers or enthusiasts -- those who can see the benefits and won’t mind shelling out $500 or so. I haven’t been this excited about the prospect of a HMD in quite awhile.

So, to wrap up this super long post (Congrats if you stuck with me this far! For those who haven’t, the Dungeon of Humiliation awaits you in the near future), I just want to reiterate my personal thoughts on the importance of a wide FOV. It increases the immersion, should be a greater focal point of 3D HMD manufactures, and coupled with strong stereoscopic images, I can comfortably assume would offer an unparalleled, immersive experience in a virtual environment. I can just imagine in the (hopefully) near future when most households have an HMD equipped with a wide FOV, head tracking capabilities with no perceivable latency, laying down on their sofa traveling across the great plains of Africa listening to tranquil sounds of nature via binaural recordings. Perhaps even attach a Leap (motion detection technology) directly to the HMD so the user’s hands are rendered in the virtual environment, increasing the connectivity and sense of integration.

Thanks for reading all, and again thanks to John and PalmerTech, can’t wait to order my Oculus Rift. Love to hear everyone's thought about this... why do you guys think FOV is important (or perhaps, NOT important :roll: )... Oh, and also... if you can count the number of times I typed “immersive” or “3D” in this post, I’ll give you a whole bathtub full of fresh, chocolate chip cookies ;)
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Why FOV is so important in an HMD

Post by brantlew »

I agree - but you're preaching to the choir in the VR forums. ;)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Great post, and some good points there. I tried out the iPad thing and it really worked (I used this vid, very cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deNZWcSUzMU ).

FOV really is the single biggest contributor to immersion. However, it isn't the only factor in presenting virtual reality. There are obviously key elements which are also important, things people take for granted like color and sound. High refresh rates and low latency also play a huge factor. And I think stereo is integral in this. Sure, it may still feel immersive without it, but it will not be as rich of an experience. And I think for true virtual reality stereo is essential. Just like you could watch a movie on a black & white TV, or with mono sound, and you could still follow the plot but it would just not be the rich experience. I mean, if you saw a black & white 2D movie in the IMAX dome it would be immersive as all hell but I don't think it could quality as virtual reality. VR really is a combination of many things, and all those things need to be up to a certain level for the best experience. But I do agree that FOV should be more of a focus for electronic manufacturers that seem to be content to put out weak FOV devices (I'm looking at you Vuzix).

Things are changing though, and I think after the RIFT comes out players in this space are going to have to up their game to compete.
CityZen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CityZen »

It should be fairly obvious that making a usable wide FOV HMD is very challenging.

In order to get a good size eye box, a decent amount of eye relief, and a large amount of overlap, you pretty much have to abandon conventional optics if you want a large FOV as well.

eye box = volume in which the pupil can be and still see the whole image.
eye relief = distance between eye and closest optical element.
overlap = percent of image that is seen by both eyes.

If the eye box is too small, then the HMD must be mounted very precisely in order for you to see the image. A slight shift in any direction, and parts of the image will start to disappear. Since you want to be able to move your head around, you can expect some relative motion between the HMD and your eyes. Also, even turning your eyes (without moving your head) moves your pupils quite a bit.

Eye relief is necessary to avoid your eyelashes from hitting the nearest optics, and, ideally, would provide enough room for glasses wearers to keep their glasses on. Usually, that much room is sacrificed; in that case, some diopter adjustment needs to be provided to help make up for this.

Increasing the eye box and eye relief tends to push the optics away from the face. However, this then gets in the way of overlap. You want your left eye to be able to see as much to the right as possible, and for right eye to see as much to the left as possible. However, the right edge of the left display will get in the way of the left edge of the right display, and this gets worse as the displays move away from the face. Reducing overlap makes you feel like there's a black divider attached to your nose, and this can be uncomfortable.

It is true that you can do a bit more with lenses than you could 20 years ago. Aside from aspheric lenses becoming practical, you can also put up with lots of distortion that you can "undo" using GPU predistortion correction (including per-component color correction if needed).

However, I'd wager that the best solutions will involve something altogether different from your typical design (that uses a flat panel display and refractive lenses).

One possibility, of course, is to use a curved display instead of a flat one. This provides for more optical possibilities, since lenses tend to want to work on a curve anyway. Of course, nobody has figured out a nice way to make small, curved, high-resolution displays. Perhaps a projection-based curved screen might be a possibility here. A scanning-type display (ala Microvision) seems ideal here.

Before discussing other possibilities, let me just remind you want the optical system in a VR display needs to do. Imagine looking at a point that's at infinity. What this means is that all the rays from that point are parallel as they enter your pupil. When looking at points that are at infinity, the only thing that matters (to distinguish this point from another) is the angle at which the rays enter your eye.

Contrast this with a screen that's inches in front of your eye. In this case, the rays from a given point are spreading out in a fat cone as they hit your pupil. Your lens cannot converge these rays back into a single point, which is why you can't focus on something held up right in front of your face. That's why optics are needed: they take the rays spreading out from that point on the display and converge them into a bundle of rays that are nearly parallel.

If you put together all the previous information, then you can imagine the ideal display: Rather than each point emitting a cone of light rays of a single color (ie, the position of each pixel on the screen is what distinguishes it from any other pixel), you want the entire display surface to send out rays in the same direction that are the same color (and have the angle of the rays be what distinguishes that "pixel" from any other).

(This arrangement of "pixels" vs. rays is really what comes out of the final optical element of any HMD. However, it helps to think about the desired final output rather than the starting input. And yes, the bundle of rays for a given pixel aren't usually entirely parallel, since that puts the image at infinity. They're usually slightly diverging, corresponding to the angle of a point about 10 feet away as it enters your pupil. More or less divergence is needed to deal with vision correction.)

With this idea in mind, you can think about alternate approaches. Suppose you had a light source that could generate a matrix of collinear rays, and you fed this into an aligned micro-lens array (with one ray/beam going through each lens). Then provide a MEMS system that could oscillate the lens array (with respect to the ray source) in both horizontal and vertical directions. As you adjust the position of the array, you vary the color of the source rays. Thus the precision of the horizontal/vertical scanning (as well as the modulation of the source rays) determines the display's resolution, while the array size determines the size of the eye box and amount of eye relief possible. The array density needs to be enough such that the number of rays entering the pupil doesn't vary too substantially as the image is scanned.

Anyway, these are just a few ideas to get people thinking ("outside the box"). There are more ways to make an HMD than just using flat screens and refractive lenses.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

@CityZen: Interesting idea. Maybe a diagram to visualize the lens array would clarify it a bit.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@CityZen: Very cool man. Can't say I exactly followed everything you said, but it sounds like a good idea.
TheRealistWord
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheRealistWord »

@brantlew: Hehe, I suppose you're right - telling members of a VR community that FOV is important would probably be like saying the sky is blue :P Unless... It's night, and dark, and rainy, in which case, I'm gonna need a better analogy...hehe

@cybereality: Cool vid! That does work pretty well! I had a whole playlist of videos on YT awhile back that seemed to work well with that. I've personally never owned a good HMD (hopefully that changes soon), so my experience with them is lacking a bit, but I agree w/ low latency/high refresh rates being important too.

@CityZen: Ooh, lots of great information, I'll have to reread it though (didn't quite pick up on everything the first time through :P). As far as curved screens go, that's something that I've been wondering for some time. Aside from the fact that there aren't any curved screens currently available for the consumer market, do you think that would be a realistic solution? I mean, as far as optics and everything goes (out of curiousity, since I'm still pretty new to HMD's and still getting the hang of all the terminology and technology). I remember a couple years back, Samsung or some other company demonstrated their flexible screens, ones that can literally bend (and as far as I can remember, probably to the point where it could wrap around the front half of the user's face). Granted, they're still fairly low resolution, and the color output isn't phenomenal, and afaik, there's yet to be any device released that ships with one of these flexible screens (though I'm pretty positive I read recently we can expect them by the end of this year). I wonder if someday they could be incorporated into HMD's, and also the benefits and drawbacks?
CityZen
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by CityZen »

Let's try this. A conventional setup, illustrating the basic concepts:

The idea with the scanning micro-lens array:

Note that the pixels in the first image are regular diffuse emitters, while in the second, they are beam emitters.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

TheRealistWord wrote:Disney World, one of the most respected, innovative theme parks in the entire world, with their own take on 3D? This has definitely gotta be good!” But, I was terribly disappointed. The 3D effect was there, yes, but the display was blurry, the tracking crawling with latency issues, and as far as I can recall, the FOV was uncomfortably low. Why wasn’t my entire peripheral vision basking in the glory of Aladdin’ness? Did this VR game fall victim to another case of the common tunnelvision?
Actually Aladdin’s Magic Carpet Ride was not 3D but 2D, the HMD designed by Disney engineers was biocular and not stereoscopic (single image source for both eyes). They made that choice because the majority of items in the environment was supposed to be viewed from far away.

Concerning the blurry image, the resolution of the Disney HMD was 640x480 per eye, which was pretty good in 1998 when this system was launched. In comparison the Rift has 640x800 per eye, almost the double vertically but exactly the same horizontal resolution.

The "uncomfortably low" FOV was still 80° horizontal, not really far from the 90° HFOV of the Rift. Vertical FOV was probably much lower than 110° though, but if you experienced tunnel effect with the Disney HMD it'll probably also be the case with the Rift.
DH1900
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DH1900 »

As a counterpoint, one of the important things to remember is that HMDs aren't just used for VR. They are also used for watching videos. The problem this creates is that most films and certainly nearly all TV shows aren't shot to be watched with a high FoV (the notable exception is IMAX movies). Too great a FoV makes watching the movie exhausting unless it's shot in a way that only requires your attention in the centre of the frame. Worse still, you're unable to look around the frame by moving your head and are completely reliant on you moving your eyes. This effect will be familiar to anyone who's sat on the front row of a cinema with a large screen.

This is compounded when you start watching 3D movies because the separation may be too large to be comfortable if it's expected to be watched from further back. This isn't a case of simply changing how the images overlap, the film will be shot in a particular fashion so that a certain percentage change in depth causes a certain percentage change in divergence. Ironically, some of the IMAX 3D blu rays are the worst offenders for this, the director was so focused on having things pop really far out of the screen (early IMAX theatres had the audience rather far back) that it's borderline painful.

Finally, a higher FoV requires a higher resolution to maintain image quality. Most HMDs are sub-720p and if you have those pixels are spread over a greater angle then the image will look worse. I dread to think how the Rift will fare for watching movies with so few pixels spread over such a wide FoV. I'm not saying that FoV is a bad thing, it certainly isn't, I'm just saying that it's not the only consideration that needs to be made.
Last edited by DH1900 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

The "uncomfortably low" FOV was still 80° horizontal, not really far from the 90° HFOV of the Rift. Vertical FOV was probably much lower than 110° though, but if you experienced tunnel effect with the Disney HMD it'll probably also be the case with the Rift.
Oh, this is encouraging to me! The Aladdin VR is still my only experience with VR, but it blew me away; I didn't notice any tunnel-vision. It's good to hear that the Rift FOV will be even slightly better.
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

Nice points there OP :)

One thing you emited from the analysis was the importance of head tracking. Specially in the case of your "hide one eye" example the very subtle head movements you perform greatly lets your brain to evaluate distances along with the eye focus. So Carmack / Palmer with their head tracking emphasis is spot on.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”