Black & White + Razer Hydra

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Black & White + Razer Hydra

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Anyone remember this game ?

I'm not a dev. but I just thought it would be an amazing experience to play Black and White with the Rift in VR
with Razer Hydra integration. If I recall the cursor for the game is a giant hand so it would work really well, but
ya like I said I have no idea what that entails but it would be rad !
mgood
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Black & White + Razer Hydra

Post by mgood »

Huh, yeah, it would.. Molyneaux is just that visionary :D

You might even be able to do this with Sixense's MotionCreator program.. as I remember, you would grip the ground and pull back, which seems pretty easy. Similarly you would somehow grip things, but I can't remember how it worked anymore, since the mouse is 2D.. It seems like it would be easy to make the Hydra work that way though.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

You would need to emulate the Essential Reality P5 Glove. Which wouldn't be hard for me to do, since I was the one who rewrote their driver to add absolute position tracking. Black & White didn't have very good P5 glove support, so it wouldn't be as good as you might imagine, but probably better than using the mouse.

Getting it to render to the Rift would be harder, since it's an old game and I don't remember what version of DirectX it used.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

I adored Black & White, and I agree that with hydra integration it could be really cool, and initially looks like a great fit... but unfortunately B&W was a game made for a mouse, not the hydra.

The hand in Black & White was "attached" to whatever the mouse was hovering over, so as you moved the mouse into the distance it would travel over the ground, or if you hovered over a thing (your creature, a tree etc) it would go "onto" that object. They managed to make a good job of throwing objects, despite the fact you're making 2D mouse movements translated into 3D space. It did a great job of pretending to be something more advanced, but really it was nothing more than a cursor with some context animation/graphics.

Rudimentary support (where you pretend to be a mouse) would be easy, and potentially quite satifying; but the real juicy stuff, where you use the Hydra properly, would require a lot of work (if it were even possible).
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

I loved B&W when it first got released, I would love to play it with the Rift and the Razer Hydra.

But implementing the Rift and the Hydra into this game surely is going to be hard.

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”