Diffuser screens

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
bradowado
One Eyed Hopeful

Diffuser screens

Post by bradowado »

I'm in the market for a diffuser screen to reduce the screen door effect of an LCD panel, can anyone recommend a particular screen? Here's essentially what I'm talking about, but I don't really know how to evaluate specs for quality: http://www.knightoptical.com/php/browse ... 58&catClr=
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Diffuser screens

Post by nateight »

Welcome to the forum, bradowado! EDIT: Or rather, thanks for finally joining the discussion? I suddenly feel like a total spammer. :cry: You may already be aware of what you're getting into when you start bringing diffusers into play, but just in case you're not, give this thread a read. The takeaway is that it's a trade-off; as one prominent example, people who have lots of knowledge and experience with these things decided even the very obvious screen door effect of the Rift was preferable to the effect of adding diffusion. It's possible some people would prefer dark and blurry to obviously pixelated, but I somehow doubt Oculus made the wrong call on this one. I'd love to see you post some experiments of your own to verify or challenge this, and if you're doing something completely different I wish you luck.

If no one else pops in to give you some specific recommendations, you might want to check out geekmaster's fresnel experiments and/or dive into the massive DIY Rift thread to get an idea about who you might PM. If you're a serious hacker like the originator of the latter thread, you might mimic his approach: He chopped up an old laptop screen and extracted its diffuser. ;)
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”