Kaiser Proview XL50 user manual

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
mores
One Eyed Hopeful

Kaiser Proview XL50 user manual

Post by mores »

Hello,

This is my first post but I have been a long time lurker.

I have recently acquired a Kaiser Proview XL50 and a controller from ebay, pretty excited about it. However, I have been unable to find a setup instruction online. I am not very good with hardware, so it's best for me to proceed with a manual.

Is there a setup instruction or a manual I can download? I am also very curious what's the large knob at the front of the HMD used for?

A brief intro to myself: I am a student doing research in VR. My main focus is whole-hand interaction. I have worked with various professional VR equipments in my lab. I always want to build a professional VR system at home so I reguarly check on ebay for some good deals.

Mark
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Kaiser Proview XL50 user manual

Post by Fredz »

You can find the specifications for this HMD here :
http://www.mindflux.com.au/products/keo/xl50.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is no manual but it's said that it can be connected via 2 VGA ports and that the controls are for audio adjust.
mores
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mores »

I looked at that link before my previous post.

However, I need more info. For example, there are switches on control box that I have no clue, i.e., 2-state switch (Hi, 75) and 3-state switch (R,G,B) sandwiching each VGA input.

As for the knob, I referred to the huge one on the helmet, not on the control box.

BTW, thanks for the link.
Mark
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Hi Mores!

My work has an XL50 in a case somewhere, I will rummage around tomorrow and see if I can find the manual that belongs to it. If not, I think I can walk you through how to set it up.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

This site quotes $17,500! How much was it on eBay? Are you aware that the HMZ-T1 beats the XL50 in both resolution and FOV (by a single degree)? The screen quality on the HMZ must be higher, too.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I have seen a few broken ones go on eBay for under $200, and there was one recently for under $300. That is probably what he won, he beat my bid. :P
mores
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mores »

Hello guys!

Palmer: Thanks a lot. I will wait for your info. I won the most recent one. Lucky me that I beat you. :D FYI: I bid on your V8, but didn't win. :cry:

Aphradonis: I won at about $230 (included shipping), pretty good deal if it works. I know about HMZ-T1 but I am pretty happy with my XL50 for the price I paid for.

I want to try out HMZ-T1. I think I should try to persuade my professor to buy HMZ-T1 as he is looking into consumer-level VR. :)

Mark
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

The HMZ-T1 is nice, but the XL50 is great, too. The exit pupil is much larger, and the headmount is a lot more comfortable, as well.

Well, I looked for the manual, but no dice. :( The large knob on the front is for adjusting the headband, it might be pretty stiff/hard to turn.

What are you using as a source?
mores
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mores »

Yes, the large knob is pretty stiff. My "greater than normal" force could only turn it slightly. I didn't want to go further cause fearing of breaking it.

I am planning to use VGA sources.

Thank you,
Mark
TheLostBrain
Cross Eyed!

Post by TheLostBrain »

I've had a couple Proviews. Good stuff. ;)
Here you are:
http://www.thelostbrain.com/files/proview-xl-manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.thelostbrain.com/files/proview-xl-manual.zip" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Current VR Setup
- N-Vision Datavisor 80 HMD (1280x1024, 80 FOV at 100% Overlap)
- Ascension Technology Flock of Birds 6DOF Magnetic Tracking + Extended Range Transmitter
- Prototype HMD (~100 FOV) - Specs and design to be shared after patent issued.
- IZ3D for non stereo-ready apps
- GlovePie for TrackIR emulation for apps without native Ascension Tech FOB Support
http://www.thelostbrain.com/?tag=/head+mounted+display" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mores
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mores »

TheLostBrain: Thanks a lot! Christmas gift is coming sooner than I thought!

Mark
c5vette211
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by c5vette211 »

This is an old thread i know but did you ever get the unit working?
mores
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mores »

It's kind of embarrassing that I have not gotten to test it yet due to various other works. The other problem is that my laptop has only one video output, preventing me from testing stereoscopic 3d function.

I will get a PC with dual video outputs in a few months. That's probably when I will test the HMD.

Do you have a Proview XL50?

Mark
c5vette211
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by c5vette211 »

I had two. I just sold them on ebay.
mores
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mores »

Out of curiosity, May I ask why you are interested if my unit is working?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”