ST1080, a 1080p consumer HMD.

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

ST1080, a 1080p consumer HMD.

Post by PalmerTech »

SiliconMicroDisplay, an LCoS microdisplay company with offices in Cambridge, MA, Sonoma County CA, and factory in Korea, will release the full details of the ST1080 head-mounted display(HMD)on its website on November 1, 2011. The ST1080 is a Full HD 3D, see-through HMD powered by USB for mobility.
(Photo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20111031/CG95774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
HMDs are personal media viewers used for gaming, viewing movies, hobbies, and commercial uses. In the past, companies like MyVu, Vuzix, and eMagin have sold HMDs to the consumer market, but gained little traction due to high cost (as high as $1800) and low resolution (VGA and SVGA). SiliconMicroDisplay is introducing a new generation of HMDs that address both issues.
Unlike Sony's recently released HMZ-T1 with 720p native resolution, the ST1080 uses two 1080p resolution LCoS panels by SiliconMicroDisplay to produce the best-in-class 2D and 3D images from Blu-ray discs and console games.
The ST1080 is a see-through type HMD, allowing users to stay connected to their surroundings while using the ST1080. The ST1080 is the first consumer HMD to offer this feature.
The ST1080 runs on USB power, so it can be plugged in to a portable battery or a laptop USB port for true mobility.
The Display Development Kit (DDK) and pre-orders for the ST1080 are expected to go on sale in December 2011.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 06923.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.facebook.com/pages/SiliconM ... 6706699904" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... =JAQFTgogC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't wait for tomorrow.
mAchiNE
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: ST1080, a 1080p consumer HMD.

Post by mAchiNE »

Awesome cant wait! looks like there is finally going to be choices in the consumer HMD market between some nice HMD's! I hope the release date is fairly soon. :woot
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Wow, time to cancel my HMZ-T1 preorder, I guess... well, is thing really going to be released? I remember the TDVisor... if these guys can do 1080p, why can't Sony?

EDIT: Oh hey, full details being released on my birthday!!!
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

Sony doesnt care about 1080 since they built hmz-t1 around the ps3. Which is 720p native in like every game.(I believe all).

I may cancel hmz-t1 pre-order if it offers a dvi-d port. I however doubt it since all manufactor's care about is hdmi. Only1 day till we know I guess.

TY for the news its pretty awesome how new life got breathed into this genre.

PS. Runs on usb for mobility? While that is pretty cool.... How in the world does it get enough power 3.3 volts if I am not mistaken. I got portable screw drivers that eat more volts then that.
Last edited by eqzitara1 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

If they built it around the PS3 why are they marketing it for Blu-ray films and why is not labelled with PlayStation branding, like the PlayStation TV? It also doesn't have a headtracker or mic.
Shamat
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Shamat »

This information looks very interesting, but IMHO seeing is believing, and for a product that is unexpectedly so near to be launched, it’s strange than until now this is the first time that we hear about this miraculous HMD.

Even all of us by now already know and preview the future Cinemizer Oled, which supposedly is near to be launched, and so the Sony prototype was hugely hyped since January, so I feel pretty skeptical about this information, that is too good to be true at a consumer market at this time.

Let’s wait until tomorrow to see if this is some kind of vaporware to attract attention from de HMZ -T1, or a real product with better specs and price.

Anyway we are living exciting times friends, but I’m not cancelling my HMZ -T1 by now, that by the way will be my first HMD, so I’m pretty excited about it, let’s see tomorrow what are the news!!!

Thanks for the info Palmer, this are marvelous news that firmly points the HMD market is gaining the momentum that I dreamed since I was a little kid.

Let’s keep dreaming, the prefect HMD is near. :woot
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

It is a bit strange they are just announcing it and its comming out two months later. Maybe they plan to ride the sony wave.

@Aphradonis not sure about mic but why would they put in headtracking for something built for ps3? That would be for pc.
Of course its built around use for ps3 = /. Every tech demo of it stores/convention it was hooked up to a ps3. It uses ONLY hdmi which is ps3's only means of displaying 3d. Given that it seems more built for movie watching then gaming.
Last edited by eqzitara1 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This is amazing news, but I will take it with a grain of salt until I see videos of (at least) a working prototype. Certainly I am not going to let this news effect my decision to buy the HMZ-T1, especialy not from a site/blog/facebook that looks like it went up yesterday.

But hey, on the brighter side: it looks like VR really is making a comeback.
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

No mention of FOV, strange as that's probably even more important than the resolution. :?:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Also, what good is 1080P if we are limited to 720P by HDMI 1.4a?
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

@cyberreality
Well we don't know for sure it is ONLY hdmi 1.4 though prob.
It would be 1080 24 frames. Which is not worth it to me. However it would be 1080p in its "2d mode"
@slipstream
They will most likely tell us tommorrow. According to site it will be giving all the details 11/1/11
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

Very interesting news...hope it turns out to be a good alternative. Competition drives evolution.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hopefully these will use the new HDMI chips that support 1080P60 but I feel like that's asking for too much. I guess they could do SBS, interleaved, etc. at 1080P, but it won't be full resolution. They have already said on Facebook that it will not support dual input. Not sure what other options there are unless they go with some proprietary BS.

So an affordable, 1080P, USB powered, see-through HMD. This is going to be EPIC. I just hope the FOV is decent.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I am going to hold off on commenting more till I know more, but from what they have said, it does not look like they plan on actually releasing it in two months. They only say that they will have a developer version available, which could well be a $10,000 prototype unit.

I will admit, though, I am optimistic.
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

They updated site - the price. I am not interested to be honest, smallish screen almost 2/3 of hmz-t1. A company I never heard of and hdmi which make 1080p 3d useless.

I am not saying it doesnt have potential to some1 who is looking for something portable and price might be right. I am more of a screen size + quality man.

In all honesty the design is pretty slick. Its looks better then most normal 3d glasses.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

This will be far more useful for portable use and desktop replacement. 1080p is over twice 720p, and the Sony apparently isn't even true 720p, so this device will have many more pixels. My main monitor is the same resolution. These glasses will literally fit in my pocket. That is amazing. And because of the semitransparency, there is great potential for augmented reality. I don't know they managed to get a FOV basically equal to the Sony's, in such a slim form factor, though, and I wonder if the HMZ-T1 is more immersive. Perhaps I'll purchase both. I will definitely buy the ST1080 because of the portability and higher resolution. It will be exceedingly useful as a desktop display. With a wireless keyboard, I'll be able to recline anywhere, instead of being tethered to a desk. If the HMZ-T1 proves to be more immersive, then I'll also get one of them for games and movies. I don't see a price for the ST1080, but the release date is December 1 - amazing if true. The teens are going to be a very exciting decade for VR and AR enthusiasts.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Wow, where did this one come from?? They certainly have done a good job of keeping quiet up till now.

It sounds interesting, but a lot will depend on the price, the quality of the lenses etc. Still, it's great to have options!
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Aphradonis wrote:and the Sony apparently isn't even true 720p
Where did you read that ?
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

David from AVS reported 720 lines of motion on the the HMZ-T1. The panels are 720p...How can it not be 720p?

The diagnal FOV of the HMZ-T1 is 51 degrees (6 degrees higher than this model). HMZ-T1 has a horizontal FOV of 45 degrees.

10% transparency? You do realize you will walk into the first light pole, chair, table, etc. trying to prove this is useful for Augmented Reality...

The PDF lists 100:1 contrast ratio on under viewing and audio, yet it's 1200:1 @ f/2.8 (???) under Display. Huh?

No IPD adjustment.

The lack of a nose rest tells me this is a prototype. Also, on the side is the label "Head Mount Display"...

This needs a little clarification.
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

How can 1080p be over twice the resolution as 720p?
720 horizontal lines vs
1080 horizontal lines
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

eqzitara1 wrote:How can 1080p be over twice the resolution as 720p?
720 horizontal lines vs
1080 horizontal lines
Because 1080p has more horizontal lines, too.

1280x720 = 921,600 pixels

1920x1080 = 2,073,600
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

This sounds nice, 45 degrees horizontal is still decent (even if it is less than Sony). I am disappointed it is only 10% transparent, thats basically useless for AR, and means we will need to mod it and make a light-shield for VR. What was the point of that? 1080P will be great for desktop use, and Blu-Ray 3D should be fine. But we still may be limited to 720P60 for gaming. But it does look portable, which is a HUGE plus. I will be watching this space.
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

The extra 6 Degrees and AMOLED display wins it for me. Unless someone come's up with a lens mod, seeing as it's full HD?
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

The HMZ-T1 isn't exactly AMOLED, it's similar to OLED-CF, which uses a White OLED layer with color filters. One notable difference is that Sony's method is it doesn't use White pixels in its matrix. Instead of the traditional OLED RGB pixel size of 200um, this tech makes RGB pixel size 12um. Another benefit is the aging process of White OLEDs is uniform, so depending on the efficiency and brightness output of the device, this should last longer than AMOLED displays.
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

So my samsung galaxy S2 screen is about to die at any time?
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

The company claims to be developing 4k2k and 8k4k HMDs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow! But where did these people come from? I signed up for their newsletter and found that their address is listed as being in Novato, CA. What with the "Head Mount Display," I thought this was a Chinese company. A 1080p HMD out of nowhere is surprising, but 4k HMDs? Really? And when? They claim 4k2k 0.82" microdisplays will be available this year. Why release a 1080p version, then? The 4k2k version must cost alot more. If it actually exists...
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

It could still be of Chinese (or any other country) origin. I used to get computer parts from a warehouse in Silicon Valley with people that barely spoke English. It won't matter if it turns out to be a good product though. 4k2k? Yikes...don't even want to know how much it would cost to drive 3D resolutions on one of those, then there is the cost of the HMD. :woot

@Slipstream
AMOLED works for most small electronics because the display is used intermittently. It should die before an LCD display, but not before a new bit of shiny technology comes along that you just gotta have. The Blue OLEDs will be the first to slowly lose their brightness or completely go out.
Syntax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Syntax »

8K4K :woot :shock:
That means this HMD has the same Resolution as the Human Eye-sight !!!

But they are using Lcos which arent so colourful and vibrant like OLED (am I right here?)
DavidSusilo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DavidSusilo »

Aeroflux wrote:David from AVS reported 720 lines of motion on the the HMZ-T1. The panels are 720p...How can it not be 720p?
Motion resolution does not always equal panel resolution.

Even on modern 1080p panels, the motion resolution can be as low as 480p

For example:
Pioneer PRO-141 1080p panel have approx 960 lines of motion resolution
Most Samsung LCD 1080p panels have approx 700 lines of motion resolution
Sony HLX-929 series 1080p panel actually have 1080 lines of motion resolution.
Sony VPL-HW30ES SXRD 1080p projector only have about 800 lines of motion resolution.

To test motion resolution, there are several standardized test created by NHK Engineers Group and they have an internal-use blu-ray disc that test the motion resolution. I tested the HMZ-T1 (and my Pioneer PRO-141, Sony HLX-929, VPL-HW30ES and a whole bunch of other displays and projectors) using that disc.
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

Nice to see you on this forum David! So what are the physical elements in a line of motion?
DavidSusilo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DavidSusilo »

Aeroflux wrote:Nice to see you on this forum David! So what are the physical elements in a line of motion?
I don't know exactly what involved in motion resolution, but bluriness with fast motion is usually the sign of low motion resolution. For example, and I found this by accident last week, although SXRD is supposed to have faster refresh rate than LCD, my review unit of the Sony projo creates more blurriness than even a Pana 3000. So I played the QTEC FPD benchmark disc from NHK, I found out that the motion resolution of Pana LCD projo is actually higher than Sony SXRD.

One thing for sure, to have a high motion resolution is not easy hence most demo disc shows slow moving objects or sometimes even VERY slow moving objects. The newer the demo disc, based on my observation of my own demo disc collection, the faster the movement because newer display tend to have better motion resolution.

Sorry I can't answer your question perfectly, I don't want to BS when I don't know the answer.
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

No worries, just trying to understand how it translates to the actual resolution and why it differs on panels of the same resolution. Just a thought, but could the higher refresh rate "y" have a correlation with the capability to handle "x" lines of motion? Were you able to tell if the HMZ-T1 lines of motion test was at 60Hz? I remember you mentioning the demo unit menu was locked.
DavidSusilo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by DavidSusilo »

Higher refresh rate can contribute to higher motion resolution but does not necessarily directly correlated with it.

Several years ago I did a test using my old Pioneer 720p plasma vs Panasonic first gen 1080p plasma and Samsung 1st gen 1080 plasma

When they are all showing static or slow moving picture, the Pioneer lost out in clarity, but once there lots of action, the Pioneer wins. Turned out that using the NHK's QTEC FPD benchmark disc, the Pioneer's motion resolution was at 600 line and the others were at 480!! They were all running at 60 Hz with the same subpixel refresh rate of 480 Hz.

Using the HMZ-T1, although I can't go to the menu, I assumne they were running 60 Hz. My assumption is simply based on the lack of video-look when I run the same FPD disc and several other 24 fps-based blu-ray demo discs.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

eqzitara1 wrote:They updated site - the price. I am not interested to be honest, smallish screen almost 2/3 of hmz-t1. A company I never heard of and hdmi which make 1080p 3d useless.

I am not saying it doesnt have potential to some1 who is looking for something portable and price might be right. I am more of a screen size + quality man.

In all honesty the design is pretty slick. Its looks better then most normal 3d glasses.

omg - i thought the HMZ-T1 'd be great now comes the news st1080 due in december'11 - really VR has come back creating ripples in the HMD ocean....omg - i am a poet now! :lol:

i want this HMD with 'see-through' as an option...ONLY

also will this use highly reflective panels.....i'd bad experiance with headplay so i think OLEDs is the way to go erggggg back to sony hmz-T1......albeit 720p only
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I just hope they either make it seriously transparent for real AR applications, or just drop the see-through feature (or at least have the option of a light-shield).
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

10% transparency might not sound like a lot, but it is more than you would imagine. Most sunglasses block between 80% and 90% of incoming light, and some really dark ones (Mostly for use in places with snow glare, for snowboarding and skiing) block upwards of 95%. If you are outdoors or under bright indoor lighting, it should be perfectly fine for AR. You could go with more, but there is a direct correlation between how bright the display is and how bright the transparency is when using this kind of design.

As far as modding it for VR goes, it should not be hard at all. The old i-Glasses PC had a transparent design, and a very simple piece of black plastic that could clip over the front to make them immersive. Heck, you could probably fashion something out of black paper if you had to.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You may be right. I guess I would have to see them myself to judge.

And, yes, there is always black duct-tape, but I was hoping it wouldn't come to that.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

From their Facebook page:
Fabien Enjolras wrote:Considering that HDMI 1.4a does not support 1080p 3D at 60fps (only 1080p@24fps or 720p@60fps), and ST1080 uses HDMI 1.4a, can we conclude that ST1080 won't support games at that resolution and framerate? So Full HD 3D will only be for Bluray content?
That's REALLY a shame, and makes your product on par with the Sony HMD...
SiliconMicroDisplay wrote:Fabien - great question! Currently we are not aware of any of the major gaming consoles or games that operate at 1080p 3D 60fps. I'm sure the story is different for PC games. We could be wrong, so please let us know if you do. And HDMI 1.4a does have a secondary spec for 1080p 3D 60fps, but as I mentioned we are not aware of any consoles that meet that secondary spec. We're a little biased here at SMD, but as far as comparison to Sony's HMZ, we think our 1080p 3D at 24fps is a mode they don't have so ours should at least give you a unique capability.
So HDMI does support 1080p60 3D. I thought the Sony supports 1080p24 3D, though.
enjolrasfab
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by enjolrasfab »

Hi, I'm the guy from facebook ^^
Registered only to correct some misunderstangings:
-SMD is wrong, there is no 1080p/3D@60fps for HDMI 1.4a, it's 1080i/3D@60fps that's supported officialy, you can check here:
http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_release.aspx?prid=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think HDMI 1.4a is just too slow for the huge amounts of data 1080p/3D@60fps needs: it should be two times faster... I'm pretty sure, that's why a guy asked in a previous post if ST1080 supports dual link.
I don't know if it's a spelling mistake OR intentionnal commercial bullshit from SMD...
-I said ST1080 is on par with HMZ-T1, because in my opinion they are BOTH 720p HMDs; only differences are:
*ST1080 supports FHD Blurays
*HMZ-T1 will surely offer better overall picture quality thanks to the OLED panels.

Hope I made my comment more clear, please remember that english is not my native tongue :lol:
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

enjolrasfab wrote:SMD is wrong, there is no 1080p/3D@60fps for HDMI 1.4a, it's 1080i/3D@60fps that's supported officialy, you can check here: http://www.hdmi.org/press/press_release.aspx?prid=120" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you read the "High-Definition Multimedia Interface - Specification Version 1.4a" PDF from the HDMI website, you can find this line among supported secondary formats :
- 1920x1080p @ 59.94/60Hz (Frame Packing, Side-by-Side(Half)

So 1080p@60Hz per eye is supported by the specification, it's just that it's not mandatory for HDMI 1.4a. SMD is not wrong.
enjolrasfab wrote:I think HDMI 1.4a is just too slow for the huge amounts of data 1080p/3D@60fps needs: it should be two times faster... I'm pretty sure, that's why a guy asked in a previous post if ST1080 supports dual link.
HDMI 1.3 increased maximum pixel clock to 340MHz across a single-link HDMI (680MHz for dual-link HDMI). Dual-link DVI has a pixel clock of 165x2 = 330MHz, so single-link HDMI could technically support 1080p@60Hz per eye without a problem.

HDMI transmission chips currently used in 3D displays have a max bandwidth of 225MHz, which is not enough for 1080@60Hz per eye. That's the only reason why no current HDMI 1.4a display supports this mode, but the specification supports it. Silicon Image announced 6 months ago that they'd start producing 300MHz HDMI transmission chips which will support this mode.
enjolrasfab wrote:I don't know if it's a spelling mistake OR intentionnal commercial bullshit from SMD...
What they said is perfectly clear, they didn't lie at all. It's just that you didn't know or understand what they said.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”