Mouse Emulation Head-Tracking App for Vuzix 1200VR

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Mouse Emulation Head-Tracking App for Vuzix 1200VR

Post by cybereality »

Awesome man! And if you think the VR920 is crazy, wait til you try the Rift!
dajudas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dajudas »

:D I can just imagine!
I should have enough expendable income for one when the dev packs come out too.

On a side note, now I must start seeing about getting ioVR running through wine or something and getting it to read the data from vr920-driver(x86_64 binary) and/or vr920-driver(i686 binary).

Code: Select all

http://www.mygnu.de/index.php/2009/03/vr920-headtracking-driver-for-linux/
My Linux box is hungry!

Edit: Typing "apt-get install ioVR-vr920-driver" and having yourself all set up minutes! Ha. That's something to strive for.
Ропа кимать, полумеркот, рыхло закурещат ворыханы.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

VR920 was the gateway drug for many of us. Its luster is lost now, but I still admire its aesthetic design and simple wiring.
piratprince
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by piratprince »

Is there a possibilty to map keystrokes like Q and E when rolling the head. This would be pretty good when using the your mouse emulation software! I just bought the vuzix 1200 vr and cant wait to see it in action (with your software working.)

Maybe u can add this to your sotware as well.

Sry for my english it not my native one.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah. Simulating keystrokes is totally possible, though I'm not sure I will be updating this software. It wouldn't be a huge change, but I don't even own a Vuzix HMD with head-tracking anymore so it would be difficult. The only Vuzix product I have left is the Wrap 310, which I was using to play video on but haven't used in a while. I might just release the source code in case anyone else wants to update it.
piratprince
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by piratprince »

is the vuzix 1200 vr compatible with glove pie?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

GlovePIE does not work with Vuzix products at this time, but I heard the author may update the software to support it again.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hey guys!

Decided to release the source code to this app. Project file is for VC++ 2010.

Have fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
karim
One Eyed Hopeful

how to configure head tracking funtion of Vuzix 1200VR with

Post by karim »

Is there any one who is able to give me a help about how to integrate Vuzix wrap 1200VR with UT2004, especially how to configure the head tracking function with UT2004. really i'm suffering from this problem. thank you.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Karim, you have to be using a particular version of UT2004. The version on Steam doesn't seem to work. I was using the Unreal Anniversary Edition (DVD box set).
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

I gave the wiimote a go however you're right it is very unstable.... I couldn't get the numchuck analog to move about in game (wasd) and the mouse was just jumping about... but not responding at all to the wiimote being moved around...

in your youtube videos it seems that you can control the gun pretty well so wonder how it's different....

Incidentally i wonder how glovepie detects a vuzix product is connected is it using some kind of usb identifier?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I think the app might try to do a calibration for the first 5 seconds or so after it starts, so try to stay completely still when you open the exe.

It also might only work with the black Wiimote w/ motion plus inside (not with the add-on).
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

yeh i've got one of the black ones with built in motion+
it's a bit odd soon as it connects the wiimote via bluetooth the mouse cursor keeps jumping left and right continually, the first 3 lights on the wiimote keep flashing and if the nunchuck is connected it just spams wasdwwadsaw etc, everything is lying flat and still on my table as it's all connected.

I've just realised that pulling the batteries out of the wiimote and it still exhibits this cursor jumping issue...
When it's connected the b button vibrates the controller so I know it's def connected... in HL2 you can jump and use flashlight but just not move about.... grrrr seems so close to having this working... if only glovepie wasn't banning the vuzix hardware...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Do you know C++? I can upload the code if you want to try to fix it yourself. Unfortunately, won't have time to work on this anymore (and don't even have a Vuzix headset anyway).
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

Is it the same version as the source you uploaded a few messages back?
I did have a go at compiling it not entirely sure how you make a .exe out of it though.....

If it's a newer version than getting a copy to play with would be great.... :) As far as battery powered bluetooth gyros i think the wiimote is actually very good value for what it costs so i think it's worthwhile putting some effort in.

Am I right in thinking apart from glove pie, which isn't magic bullet anyway there isn't another way of currently doing the wiimote emulation?

btw do you know if it's possible to move the gun interdependently in something like HL2 using a wiimote instead of moving the entire view? I've seen some youtube videos that seem to be doing this but not sure how it's being accomplished.

edit:

Tried the iovr/wiimote on my laptop instead of tablet and it seems to be having the same issue with the nunchuck spamming the wasd keys lol.... tbh I have a pc controller i could use instead but still no joy with the mouse emulation.

edit2:
just found this program here...

http://home.exetel.com.au/amurgshere/wiimouse.phtml

It looks really impressive, still trying to get it to work but even has a 3d model of the mote orientation very cool looking... :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I haven't released the code for the Wiimote version yet. It uses modified source from the WiiYourself library, and I'll have to check if I can distribute it. But you will have to have Visual Studio (express is fine) and a good understanding of C++ if you want to make any use of it.

Yeah, the Wiimote is good for what it is, and the price. The original version had problems, but these have mostly been fixed with MotionPlus. It ends up being pretty accurate, in fact.

I've seen the HL2 mods, they are cool. These were done with the Source SDK, most likely. I've never worked with it, so I don't know that much.
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

apparently it was based on the .net library found at

http://wiimotelib.codeplex.com/releases/view/30401

I do all my coding in c# however it's very different to have just the library and a full product... It does appear all of the wiimote gyro mouse functionality are all based on this... so not sure how much more things can be improved? :(
karim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by karim »

cybereality wrote:Karim, you have to be using a particular version of UT2004. The version on Steam doesn't seem to work. I was using the Unreal Anniversary Edition (DVD box set).
thank you Cybereality for your help, until now the stereoscopy function in UT2004 with Vuzix wrap1200VR workd correctly, but only the Head-tracking one doesn't work. Despite i have tried several ways:
1.install VR Manager 3.x to replace VR Manager 4.1.
2.unistall VR Manager 3.x and replace it by VR Manager 4.1.
3.reinstall UT2004
So can you send me the link for downloading the Unreal Anniversary Edition .
also for this message
Tracking:
1.The Process of tracking requires the <dinput8.dll> proxy driver to be installed.
Tracking is accomplished using a DirectInput emulation process.

NOTE: The 'IWRView mutator' Must be enabled in the mutators list to enable Vuzix Eyewear Tracking.
i didn't find any dinput8.dll in my Vuzix files installation.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sorry, it's called Unreal Anthology:
http://www.amazon.com/Unreal-Anthology- ... +anthology

It's only $10.

The proxy DLLs are in the Vuzix folder. They are either in the Unreal2004 folder (inside the Vuzix folder) or the Proxy folder. I can't remember the exact name (its like "DirectInputProxy" or something like that).

Hope that helps.

- Andres
karim
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by karim »

cybereality wrote: The proxy DLLs are in the Vuzix folder. They are either in the Unreal2004 folder (inside the Vuzix folder) or the Proxy folder. I can't remember the exact name (its like "DirectInputProxy" or something like that).
Hope that helps.
- Andres
ok , i have found it in C:\Vuzix Corporation\Vuzix VRManager\DInputProxyDrivers
thanks Cyber
metronome
Cross Eyed!

Post by metronome »

I installed the toshiba stack on my laptop which is a toshiba... and not the mouse at least responds when i move the wiimote, quite responsive but not really keeping its position, however I have to hold the c button down on the nunchuck for it to move around.... very odd....

it's getting there though :P

any ideas anyone.... my vr setup is almost done bar the wiigun :p

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”