First impressions on the Vuzix Wrap 1200 and Sony's HMZ-T1

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Syntax
One Eyed Hopeful

First impressions on the Vuzix Wrap 1200 and Sony's HMZ-T1

Post by Syntax »

so finally I got back from the IFA 2011 and there was much to see, from glasses free TVs (all parrallaxed sadly) hence through tablet PC's and cameras.

But the reason for why i went to the IFA was to see the new HMDs from Sony and Vuzix.

So lets start with the Vuzix Wrap 1200.
when i put on the glasses the friendly woman from vuzix showed me a 2D animation movie and after it the 3D version of it and it was quiete an enyoeble experience. next they showed me the older version: wrap 280xl to compare the image quality.
I clearly noticed the difference, the screen of the 1200 was much bigger and the edges looked clean and smooth. also the resolution appeared to be higher. But not that high as you are accustomed by the nowadays HD standard. in fact i was able to see the individual dots of the image which coheres with the boxed standart resolution from the video they showed me (852 x 480). So i dont know what the image is like when the resolution is upscaled to 1280 x 720 pixels. Also the colour was not that satisfying, the image was kinda washed out but it was ok.

So also I asked them about the video input and the eyewar is connected via a vga adapter BUT later they told me that they will release an hdmi adapter for it so that you are able to connect it to your pc or favorite video console which was nice to hear ;)
Also I asked them when they finally release the VR1200 Version and they said it will be shipped in a couple of weeks around europe... I think they will release it in a week or two in the US market.

Sadly i dont own a vr920 to compare the difference but all I can say is that it was a cool experience.

Now lets switch to Sony's new HMZ-T1 display-sytem

Sony had quite a large booth on the IFA and they showed many products.
As i walked though the hall I finally noticed the desk with all the HMDs lying around there.
Some standed alone others where connected to a 3D Camera and even a Sony Playstation.
First I tried the ones with the only video input and as soon as I was putting them on I was amazed...
The picture quality was truely 720 p which u see when you watch a 720p movie on your HD TV (crisp and clear) and the contrast was superb, due to the OLED technology.
The Black looked real black and colours where so deep and just felt natural.
Also the device contains a build in menue where you can set your contrast,brightness, sharpness, etc.
and change the input and 3D/2D mode
Also you can use an audio equlizer for the Headphones which where kinda low budget I would say.
The Sound was not that good as you are familair with the theatre like experience but it was suitble.
From the field of view-point it was really like sitting in a movie theatre where you are totally immersed. In fact the horizontal view was so wide that I wasnt able to look at the image at once and had to , like in a theatre, move my eyes from left to right to grasp the hole picture . Then I moved to the Version that was hooked up to a 3D Camera and it worked good but the image wasnt as clean as the video only version maybe thats due to the camera. The 3D effect is definatly there but i imagine watching 3D movie or games which can be refined and optimized so that the Pop-Out effect emerges, will just take your breath.
Then I tried the Playstation Version where I played Gran Turismo 5 unfortunatly in 2D...
When you play games on it you will be immersed much faster then watching movies ...
So i played for 5 minutes and it was kinda intense coz i moved my head automaticly in the direction which my vehicle was driving :lol:
Unfortuantly there was no HeadTracker to it so that I was kinda confused when i twisted my head the image direction was setted to one direction.

So I know that sounds all very good doesnt it :roll:
But threre is one big draw back...
namely the weight.
Which i would say is 9-11 ounces
As i was strapping that thing over my face i felt the weight on my nose and it was not that confortble.
Now you might think that the retaining bracket that is placed at your forehead would compensate the weight on your nose which is kinda true but keep in mind that you ve to strap the clamp at you backhead very tight so that it will be not a long time until you get headache (not from the screens but from the tight fixation of the devide to your head :P)
Maybe some of you guys will tweak it a bit or transform it to a helmet or something like that.

Ok now where i ve seen both devices I can not pick a winner coz there have both different pros and cons i would say.
Vuzix eyewear is more confortble to wear and you can carry it outisde where otheres wouldnt noticed it.
Ideal for traveling and use them with your iphone.

Sony's HMZ-T1 is more targeted for homeuse and especially lying on a couch (like the guy in the commercial)
With these conditions you can enjoy an image like you where sitting in the middle row of a cinema all for you alone ^^.
But as I said when you are in an stand up position I assure you you are not able to hold out 2 hours watching a movie without constrain your neck and nose.

Ok I think I made my point and hope you guys have now a somewhat of impression of what these 2 new devices will be.
If you ve question plz dont be afreaid to ask them I will give my best to answer it :).

Byeall
Last edited by Syntax on Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Re: First impressions on the Vuzix Wrap 1200 and Sony's HMZ-

Post by ShawmK »

Thanks for filling us in!

It's interesting that Vuzix were using the Wrap 280 as a comparison; that model has a very low resolution, even compared to the 920. It probably means they are afraid that the difference between the 920 and the 1200 isn't all that great....

A couple of questions about the Sony:

Did it look as if there was any way to remove the built-in headphones, if you wanted to use better ones of your own?

Also, could you see if it accepted any inputs apart from HDMI (VGA, component video etc.)...?

Thanks again for the report!
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

Thanks for the preview!

Regarding the HMZ-T1:

Did you notice any screen door effect (visible dots)? It may be a stupid question, but I've never seen an OLED display (much less an HMD) in person.

Was the forehead pad adjustable?

Any diopter adjustment?

How is the horizontal alignment?

What about the overall build quality, good vs. bad?

Did you ask the Sony rep any questions? Any interesting bits about the headset?

As far as the menu options:

Was there tint/hue? Color saturation?

You mentioned the ability to change the 2D/3D mode...are there multiple modes for 3D, i.e. different types of signals?

I'm just trying to get an idea of how far I can take this with a blu-ray calibration disc.
Syntax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Syntax »

@ShawmK
Wéll the thing is that they officially only showed the vr1200 model next I was asking them about the 920, the man was lookin for it and only found the 280xl so i think it was no intention to let me try the new vs old model.

To your second question I think the headphones where fixed into it but maybe you can just saw them off if you like to use your headphones :lol: ^.

I wasnt able to look where the hmds where connected to coz the cable was fixed into the desk but I think you can buy a hdmi2vga adapter that will work fine.

@Aeroflux

1# Unlike the smartphone AMOLED Displays where you ve the feeling of seeing individual dots the picture of the HMZ-T1 was just like a very high contrast lcd-display which you are used to your HD TV.

2# Yes it is

3#There was indeed an optical adjustment for it but only to fix the correct eyepositioning of individual people so I dont think there was an diopter adjustment for it but I can be wrong

4#The horizonatl allignment was just breathtaking as you can see in my review it was truely cinema-like.
Also the edges looked clean and had no imagedistortion at all

5#Built quality was very high havent noticed any drawbacks

6# Yes I did
I asked them if there will be other skin sets to buy (you know like the cool Tron Skin that was innitially showed at CES 2011 prototype)
But he didnt know
Also I asked the price point and here it gets confusing
He said that it will come out late December(Europe) for 800 euros (1000 $)
Other sources on the net hints to a 600 $ Price but it can be fake.
but all in all I can assure u its a very highproduct which can be comapred to the 5-10k highclass HMDs that are out there!

7#there were multiple options to tweak the immage in terms of:

colour saturation
brightness
contrast
sharpness(pulled that thing to the max after it looked like 1080p just awesome)
and some other things i dont remember sorry

8# As far as I noticed there was only a 3D on/off mode so no profiles
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks Syntax, your posts have been very informative. My initial impressions of the Sony have been well she looks a little nose heavy and not really secured to the head very well- Just by looking at it from a design perspective. Most likely its going to need a counter balance system attached. That is if your planning to use it in a upright position for an extended time. Your demo experience kinda reminds me of my 3D HDTV search a year ago. Not really good material playing to show the actual capabilities. But for me I have made my decision regarding 3D. And that is all my devices will be HDMI 1.4 compliant.
Again Thank you for your input.

peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks Syntax, your posts have been very informative. My initial impressions of the Sony have been well she looks a little nose heavy and not really secured to the head very well- Just by looking at it from a design perspective. Most likely its going to need a counter balance system attached. That is if your planning to use it in a upright position for an extended time. Your demo experience kinda reminds me of my 3D HDTV search a year ago. Not really good material playing to show the actual capabilities. But for me I have made my decision regarding 3D. And that is all my devices will be HDMI 1.4 compliant.
Again Thank you for your input.

peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

wow that was deja vue. I had a glitch in my matrix
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
fraherd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fraherd »

http://blip.tv/gotgame/sony-s-hmz-t1-in ... ne-5514311" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^^ good video on the HMZ-T1, guy says at the end it will be $800 and out at the end of October. Interesting.

I have one question for you, why was GT5 in 2D and not 3D?
3D Visualisation Artist
http://www.FraherDesign3D.com.au
Syntax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Syntax »

@Chiefwinston

In terms of comfort Sony should definatly make some design tweaks if not I will make em myself as others :geek:
It definatly needs a counterbalance but thats not all. I think I will use some type of construction helmet and glue that thing to it xD
In this video you can see how it should look like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJItdmum ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@fraherd
For me its a riddle anyways of how the playstation will shoulder the extra image processing for the 3D effect without loosing framerate...
Well I think Gran Turismo doesnt support it yet so...

who knows
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

Thank you for providing some key details! It should be relatively easy to make a counterbalance...maybe a small nylon zipper bag with velcro attachments or belt/strap loops, and a ziplock bag with sand inside. I have some velcro wire wraps that would be perfect for that head strap. Hopefully it doesnt flex too much horizontally.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Wow great video's guys. Thanks for sharing. Now I'm sooo jazzed up. I can't think of anything else.

Peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@Syntax: Thanks for sharing. I have a few questions:

On the Sony HMZ-T1: Was it really that heavy that you think it would be uncomfortable to play a game for an hour or watch a whole movie? They said it was under a pound, so that seems manageable. Do you think the headset felt secure on your head? Those straps look really cheap and flimsy and I would be afraid of it falling off my head and breaking.

Regarding Vuzix Wrap 1200: Did you notice the screens getting a negative/darkened effect on the edges (like when you look at a cheap LCD panel from an off-angle). I notice this problem with my Wrap 310, and its a little annoying.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

As for why the PS3 wasn't showing GT5 in 3D. I can only speculate. With my 50" 3D Plasma. The PS3 auto detects a 3D display. It also, than proceeds to ask what the screen size is and what your distance to the screen is. Both would kinda be needing some recommendations from Sony. GT5 also has head silhouette tracking. Rotating your head will change the view. It Requires the PS3 standard camera. It does work. Though in only specific game modes. I have tried it. Another application that might be interesting is The Fight: Lights Out. Its actual quite a dog stupid game. But it uses 2 move controllers and the camera uses a silhouette callibration of your torso. You move your arms. your on screen fighter moves correspondingly. If you duck, he ducks. If you move your head to avoid a punch, he does too- Body silhouette tracking. Its a bummer the game is crap. But good base technology. Its also in 3D.
I most definatly will be looking for shooter application- Cysis, killzone, and any other sci-fi shooter I can get my hands on.
I would also like a fallout 3 type game in a VR experience. Seams like a killer app.

Peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Syntax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Syntax »

@Cyber
1#For me it was kinda heavy coz all the weight was on the forehead and I tried to compensate it with tightening the straps but even then I barely stopped assisting it with my right hand coz I had the feeling that the device wasnt really fixed to my head.
To my excuse i dont own a HMD or VideoGlass my self but the Wrap 1200 from Vuzix was much more comfortble to wear.

2# i vent experienced any dark edges but maybe thats due to the video they showed me which didnt fill the hole lcd area I think.
Johnny-Mnemonic

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Thanks Syntax!
Great preview, looking forward to get one of the HMZ-T1, once Sony will start to sell them!
Newest HMD I have is Vuzix Wrap 920AR, which is really nice for Augmented Reality apps, but I'm also looking forward to wide-FOV HMD for VR, and if you are saying that you can't glance whole virtual screen of HMZ-T1 without moving your eyes, then it's means that this is my choise, so I will wait and see 8-)
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

I think my biggest question for the Sony is this.
Do you (The readers of this board) feel the Sony-HMZ will 100% make it to market here in the USA by at the latest, December of this year ?

You know how us HMD people are, we never think this stuff will come out. But sony should be different correct ? Do you think it will get out this year ?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sony has not given any sort of firm date for US or other markets outside Japan. All we know right now is that it should release in Japan around November.
Johnny-Mnemonic

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

3dvison wrote:Do you (The readers of this board) feel the Sony-HMZ will 100% make it to market here in the USA by at the latest, December of this year ?
cybereality wrote:Sony has not given any sort of firm date for US or other markets outside Japan. All we know right now is that it should release in Japan around November.
If this HMD will be released somewhere on the planet Earth, then what's the problem?
All HMD's I have, I get them from abroad, because there is no HMD market in Ukraine at all. Why you guys from US are so picky about markets? :)
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

quote Johnny-Mnemonic "If this HMD will be released somewhere on the planet Earth, then what's the problem?
All HMD's I have, I get them from abroad, because there is no HMD market in Ukraine at all. Why you guys from US are so picky about markets?"

No Johnny-Mnemonic, I do not care where it comes from.
I was just wondering if it is a "Shure Thing" for a USA release or is it up in the air still ?
Sounds like there really has not been an offical statment for a US. release date ...?

I do not follow Sony product releases, but there must be alot of Sony fans that have a good idea about how they release items and their track record of getting them to market once an item reaches the late stages of development.....The Sony HMZ-T1 does seem like it's in the very late stages of development or should I say It look's done, stick a fork in it :) put it in a box and sell the hellz out of it...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote: If this HMD will be released somewhere on the planet Earth, then what's the problem?
All HMD's I have, I get them from abroad, because there is no HMD market in Ukraine at all. Why you guys from US are so picky about markets? :)
First off is the price. Its supposed to be $800 in Japan, but only $600 when it comes out in the US. Another is support. If something goes wrong Sony of America will not service a unit imported from Japan. So it will either cost more to ship it back to Japan, or they just won't fix it at all. So if I know there will be a US release, then I will just wait for that and save myself some money and headache.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

I'm seeing a 11/11/11 release for Japan. I'm guessing with that being the big dollar holiday buying time. They will release it in the US and the world in that time frame- before christmas. But this is the US. And we can buy ANYTHING if you have the cash.

Peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

2nd Edit:

There are two instances of October being a launch date for the US; one Sony rep saying it will be out in October (for $800), and Matt Honan from Gizmodo saying that the unit will be reviewed before it goes on sale in October.
Syntax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Syntax »

@cyber
where do you got the number $600 ?
I mean I asked the PR Guy on IFA and he meant it will be 800 € (1.100 $)
For me its very unlikly that they will sell it for 600 bucks and in europe for 800 € thats just too much of a price diverentage.

By the way I was searching for similiar HMDs around the web and look what I ve found.

http://sensics.com/products/zSight/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The optics are the same only Sonys HMD have no headtracker....
guess what that thing costs...
$23,980 :woot

This is a perfect example where you can see what impact mass producing has on pricing !!!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Engadget wrote:The device is a solid piece of hardware, just what one would expect from Sony -- especially for a piece of hardware that'll run you around $600 when it hits the US around the November / December time frame.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/31/sony ... -on-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

The zSight uses the same optics as the Sony??? WTF? So the piSight could be mass-produced for a few thousand dollars, then!? And in the OP the Sony is compared to HMDs costing $5000-$10,000. I wasn't aware of any HMDs in that price range. I thought professional HMDs are all $20,000+.
Syntax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Syntax »

@Cyber
hope youre right but all sources i ve seen hints to an $800 pricetag. Also Engadget have published shortly after your source a new article which said it will cost $799.

"The only device at the presentation with a pricetag was the HMZ-T1 3D viewer we tried out at IFA last week, which has been announced for the US in November with a price "around" $799"

http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/07/sony ... rices-hmz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@Aphradonis

Well in theory youre right.
The Pisight could be mass produced if there is a consumer demand for it.
Think about it, The Zsight has a SXGA 1280x1024 OLED-display and a 60 degrees Field of View and costs $23,980.
Sonys HMD has a 720p - 1280x720 OLED-display and a 51 degrees Field of View and costs only $800.
The zsight is slightly better but costs over 20x the amount of the HMZ-T1

For me its only a matter of time when other big companies recognize this trend and follow into the competition.
Which will bring the prices down and the build quality up :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Syntax: To be honest, it is probably going to be $799 USD. Especially after seeing the pre-order price in other markets. But you never know.
nrp
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by nrp »

cybereality wrote:@Syntax: To be honest, it is probably going to be $799 USD. Especially after seeing the pre-order price in other markets. But you never know.
Sony's press release for the US says around $799, which probably means the MSRP is $799 and the "around" is to describe store to store differences in retail price.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I really wonder how much demand there is for HMDs on the market. I mean, I bet Sony can produce tens of thousands of these (or whatever they have to do to keep the price that low) but are there really that many people with $800-$1200 to blow on this thing? It would kind of suck if Sony ended up with a large overstock of these headsets. But if it does end up being widely successful, it could be great for the HMD market (and also the future of VR).
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Syntax - thanks for providing insight into vuzix 1200 / sony hmd ....
by any chance - do you have emagin z800 also to compare sony hmd with ?

all i wanna know is whether the optics of sony HMD are superior to z800 or not....
i am craving to get someone answer this after reviewing both z800 and sony hmd in person...

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”