Vuzix Tac-Eye Binocular HMD

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Vuzix Tac-Eye Binocular HMD

Post by ancjob »

Hi
Cam e across this "Tac-Eye Binocular" from vuzix
link here : http://www.vuzix.com/tactical/taceye_pr ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Overview here : http://www.vuzix.com/tactical/taceye_pr ... l#overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looks great to me - somewhat similar to TDvisor...or may be i am mistaken...

uses Amoled [read OLEDs] displays with 800x600 and 35 FOV ....any comments as this looks promising albeit FOV is only 35 instead of 40 [emagin]....

But i guess it 'd be better than wrap 1200 or wrap 1200VR ....what you guys think...? any guess about it's pricing and availability ....
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Re: Vuzix Tac-Eye Binocular HMD

Post by AntiCatalyst »

It says 35 degrees horizontal FOV, are emagin's 40 degrees measured diagonally or horizontally?

1:200 sounds like a poor contrast ratio for an AMOLED display.. a good AMOLED has virtually infinite contrast, like samsung's Galaxy S series phones. :P
"This is great!"
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

AntiCatalyst wrote:It says 35 degrees horizontal FOV, are emagin's 40 degrees measured diagonally or horizontally?

1:200 sounds like a poor contrast ratio for an AMOLED display.. a good AMOLED has virtually infinite contrast, like samsung's Galaxy S series phones. :P
WELL - downloded the spec sheet - says FOV = 35 degrees ONLY ....
just check the specs yourself here : http://www.vuzix.com/tactical/taceye_pr ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - gives a link to d/l pdf spec sheet ...

i wonder if they are getting the display modules from emagin ....anybody with a wild guess... :D

spcs given below to save you guys from little more effort :D
-------
Display Eyepiece
Type AMOLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode)
Resolution 800 x 600 pixels
Contrast Ratio >200:1 (color); >800:1 (white or green)
Gray Levels Up to 256 per primary color
Brightness <0.1 ftL. to >23 ftL.
Luminance Uniformity Large area luminance non-uniformity >85%
as measured by the human eye
Maximum luminance non-uniformity is 16%
Luminance Range 9 FL to 18 FL
Head-Borne Weight 7.3 ounces
Field of View 35 degrees
Apparent Image Size 55"
Distortion Maximum distortion <3% (empirically); 0.4%
(Zemax modeling)
Light Security Red light filter reduces light splash by 98%
Diopter Adjustment None
Physical Eye Relief 12 mm
Exit Pupil Size & Shape 9 mm horizontal x 4 mm vertical rectangular

System
Display Inputs SVGA, NTSC, RS-170, PAL
Power Supply USB, AC, BA5590 Adapter
Readiness 3 seconds
Audio Security <35 dBA @ 5 meters
Operating Temperatures -40° C to +49° C
Storage Temperatures -46° C to +71° C (at least 6 hours)

----------------------------------------------
infact i sent a mail to them inquiring abt the pricing ....
let's see what will i get a their reply...
keep you guys posted... :)
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

As far as I know this is one of the display units they produce for the military.

It's probably very high quality, but I don't think it's available to us consumers (unless we enlist, of course).
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

ShawmK wrote:As far as I know this is one of the display units they produce for the military.

It's probably very high quality, but I don't think it's available to us consumers (unless we enlist, of course).
they are using OLEDs SVGA+ in their millitary HMD - this is their tactical-millitary product ...

Why can't they provide SVGA+ display HMDs for consumers and give emagin a run for their money - may be that they are procuring modules from emagin with 'strings' [raed conditions] attached ....?
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

ancjob wrote:
AntiCatalyst wrote:It says 35 degrees horizontal FOV, are emagin's 40 degrees measured diagonally or horizontally?

WELL - downloded the spec sheet - says FOV = 35 degrees ONLY ....
Why download the spec sheet when it says horizontal FOV right on the site? ;)

Field of View: 35 Horizontal Field of View

ancjob wrote:Why can't they provide SVGA+ display HMDs for consumers and give emagin a run for their money - may be that they are procuring modules from emagin with 'strings' [raed conditions] attached ....?
Probably because they know they'll make a hell of a lot more money selling them to the military at 10 times the price. Consumer HMD's are still an extreme niche market. Sadly.
"This is great!"
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

If you are made of cash and work for the government then maybe you can find one of these. Well, even if you are just made of cash I bet you can make a few phone calls and make it happen. Otherwise I would not get my hopes up. This is not consumer-level gear. Also, its been out for at least a year and I haven't heard a word about it since Vuzix announced it.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

strangely they have "Tac-Eye LT display" for consumers which is monocular and has fov 30 for the SVGA+ 852x600 OLEDS ....

here : http://www.vuzix.com/consumer/products_ ... l#features" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so why NOT Tac-Eye Binocular HMD for consumers when the monocular version is for consumers [shows in consumer eye-wear section]......?

(i guess they are getting emagin modules to make only for military as per emagin 's conditions imposed on them...)

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

If they are getting the modules from Emagin, I doubt they are limited to selling to military only. The real problem is that the binocular costs $2400 or more, depending on configuration.

Besides, if they really are just using Emagin modules, why not get a Z800?

EDIT: The only price I could find on the monocular was even worse, $3,495.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:If they are getting the modules from Emagin, I doubt they are limited to selling to military only. The real problem is that the binocular costs $2400 or more, depending on configuration.

Besides, if they really are just using Emagin modules, why not get a Z800?

EDIT: The only price I could find on the monocular was even worse, $3,495.
i already have emagin z800 but it's resolution is the problem [crappy 800x600 no upsacling / downscaling] with non existent 3d support ...and sharpness missing being compensated by brightness but it does not really compensate...

i guess - waiting for Warp 1200 the only way out of this mess....
Deziant
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Deziant »

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”