Review of my HMD collection with pics! (Updated regularly)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Review of my HMD collection with pics! (Updated regularly)

Post by PalmerTech »

I have been meaning to do this for a long time, but never sat down and took the time to write the massive post it would take. So here it is in piece by piece form! I will update this thread with a new review every day or so till I have my whole collection covered, and will make a post letting people know to check the original post. I will take pics for the more interesting ones, but a lot of these have ample photo coverage on the internet. In that case, just expect a single stock picture.

Here is my collection by list, I will X mark ones I have already covered:

Phillips Scuba--------------------X
Victormaxx Stuntmaster----------X
Olympus Eyetrek FMD-200--------X
Virtual Research V8--------------X
Kaiser Proview 30 (PV30)
Vuzix VR920
HeadPlay
i-Glasses SVGA Pro
i-Glasses PC
i-Glasses TV
Liquid Image MRG 2.2
Trimersion
Vortek VR boom mounted display
A few of those shitty toy HMDs with built in games.
MyVu Solo
Fatshark Aviator
Generic chinese HMD (PS2 Headgame)

Ones I do not currently own, but have used:
PR1
Z800
Sensics X-Sight
Many cobbled together random test HMDs I have made.

#1: Phillips Scuba

This one is definitely a mixed bag, but the general idea is that it sucks.

Pros:
-Good FOV, about 40 degrees
-The rear head strap actually reaches around the curve of your skull, to the nape (Comfortable!)
-Audio sound stage is better than most HMDs. It keeps the drivers pretty far from the pinna of the ear, so the sound seems to be coming from in front of you, even with standard audio sources.
-There are a series of small slots in the visor underneath each eye. They do not leak very much light at all, but allow you to see your desk/keyboard/cables you are messing with very easily. This was actually one of the things I liked best about this particular unit.
-Fairly small control box, very light, and runs off standard 9v power supply

Cons:
-The resolution is very, very low.
-The quality of the optics is very, very poor. Color distortion, blurry edges, the edges of the LCDs are cut off partially, and it is difficult to focus on for any length of time.
-The IPD adjustment is pretty much useless, as other people have noted, it just rotates the optics. Luckily, the stock IPD matched me pretty well, or things would have been even worse.
-The LCDs are interpolated, diamond pixels, ghosting, washed out, bad color balance and contrast, par for the course on these old HMDs.
-Despite the head strap, which is actually well designed, the entire unit is just too heavy to use without strain. The top presses on your forehead, and if it is not strapped completely tight against your face, then the sag presses down on your cheeks, and makes it hard to breath through your nose.

It is a shame, because the headstrap is so well designed that I might steal it for an HMD that is lighter that would benefit more. The entire unit practically screams “quality” at first glance, in terms of build quality and all those little things you know some designer worked long and hard on (The eye slots in the visor, the head strap, the cutouts on the outside of the speaker modules to open up the treble a bit, the thick, solid cables and plugs), but the end experience is very lacking. It is really a shame, because if a major HMD maker went with a form factor like this, the technology is at the point where they could actually use the extra space to make a really, really nice HMD. I guess I would categorize this as a novelty that looks back at a time when major companies like Phillips believed in VR.

#2: Victormaxx StuntMaster

Picture of the prototype, taken from http://www.frerichs.net/fvt/stuntmaster.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A fantastic video showing off the unit in full glory:
[youtube]r58xRwqH_po[/youtube]

Picture of the unit and assorted cables:

Oh my. This this is atrocious. I am really straining to think of good things about it.

Pros:
-The manual is pretty funny. “For maximum awesome, use your state of the art Virtual Reality headset with games that stand on their own without text.”
-The “head movement tracker” does work.

Cons:
-Heavy, uncomfortable, strap padding starts to fall apart practically by design, completely unbalanced. Hurts every part of your face.
-LCD is square, not 4:3, and distorts video to fit. It ghosts, has awful resolution, makes a high pitched whine from the CCFL backlight inverter, and suffers from every problem you have ever seen with a bad quality screen, yet even worse.
-The optics are equally bad. You are basically looking through two credit card magnifiers that have been stacked together at a single small LCD. Field of view is perhaps 20 degrees. If they would have at least used centered fresnels (Two for each eye) then it MIGHT be bearable... But it really is just awful.
-Standardized cables are good, right? Usually. Until you decide to use a massive, 80s era serial plug for not much more than a composite video feed and some sound. I have no idea what was going through their heads, they raped a set standard, and stuck a variety of bad, very thick and unwieldy cables together.

This is just so, so incredibly bad. The manual and box make it sound so cool! If I were a kid who had gotten this for Christmas, after wanting it so badly (As I want the promises on the box today!), I would have cried after finding out how awful it was. Or returned it, which is probably why Victormaxx went out of business. The thing is, I would not blame the team that designed it. From the old BBS threads I have found, the people who designed it had a well balanced design, but Victormaxx ended up ruining it. Sure, the tech would have still been bad, but at least it would not have been so awful in every possible respect.

#3: Olympus Eyetrek FMD-200

I like this thing a lot. Small and light.

Pros:
-The FOV is great, just above 39 degrees.
-The optics are of extremely high quality. No abberations of any kind, no pincushioning, focus is set at a comfortable distance of 10 feet or so, and the image stays clear and in focus when moved from side to side or up and down.
-Battery life is great, I get about 5 hours off of the small rechargeable pack, and spares are less than $10 on eBay.
-Control box is very lightweight, even with battery, and small to boot.
-Optical filter (Basically blurs the spaces between pixels) works really, really well. No visible pixels most of the time!
-The entire unit is very, very lightweight, and very thin, too. This is the closest to normal sunglasses sized I have ever seen. In fact, it can fit entirely behind one of my larger pairs! A very dorky looking pair, I must admit.
-Cable is thin, flexible, high quality.

Cons:
-Low resolution is low (180k pixels)
-Build quality is not bad, persay, but it is not as sturdy as it could be
-Headphones are not that great
-Only composite video input, svideo would have been nice.

I was really, really surprised by this one. It is definitely my favorite for watching videos on the go now, despite the low resolution! The free form prism style optics are similar to the ones in the Z800, but they seem to be higher quality, and not nearly as sensitive to placement in front of the eyes. I might try modding a different microdisplay into them, considering they use 0.5", which is close to the 0.44" Kopin LCDs.

One of the things that strikes you is just how lightweight these are, you barely feel them on your face! The image is large, at 39 degrees, and does not feel totally distant. They do not block your peripheral view at all, so this is a bad HMD for immersion, but for watching movies on a plane, it works great. Used them on 6 flights now, they are fantastic. They have good brightness and contrast controls, and the hype in the old PR material about the optical filter is actually merited! You cannot see the pixels in most circumstances, and you really, REALLY forget about the low resolution. It looks better than most 320x240 HMDs I have seen, even some 640x480 ones. If I could somehow magically flip a switch and have 720p resolution on any of my HMDs, it would likely be this one, just for the sheer usability; The setup is a no brainer, the whole thing is small, and is just easy to use in general. The headphones are a downer for me, but I use my own, anyways. They are better than stock Apple iPod headphones, but not by much. I am probably too picky, though, I am a bit of an audiophile, much to the chagrin of my wallet. :P

Bottom line is that these are worth a purchase if you can find a pair for a reasonably low price, especially considering their comparative rarity.

#4: Virtual Research V8

Internal shot:

Side shot of the unit, after modifications:

Front of control box with brightness and contrast controls, leads to HMD:

Back of control box, dual VGA inputs allow for mono, stereo, and a VGA passthrough to an external monitor:

A shot I took when I first got it, before mods (Much inferior camera!):

Pros:
-Massive FOV, 60 degrees!
-Fantastic optical quality, knocks the pants off most HMDs
-Adjustable IPD and eye relief distance is easy to use
-The 640x480 resolution is a "true" resolution, not a pentapixel arrangement. This gives it 3x more pixels than the V6!
-Headband is comfortable and well balanced, great build quality
-Cable to HMD is loooooooong, but thin and flexible
-Dual VGA inputs are dead simple to work with for stereo3D
-Blocks out the outside world very well with the soft, rubberized plastic light hood
-Looks like it means business

Cons:
-Has a fan, not a loud one, but see next con.
-The stock headphones carry the vibration from the fan into your ears, it is a quiet hum all the time
-Long cable is a bit too long, needs coiling on one end for desk use
-Power brick that plugs into the wall is huge!

This HMD is by far my favorite! I am sure some of you have seen reviews for the venerable V6, all favorable. In essence, the V8 is a V6 with much higher quality LCDs, which lend it higher contrast, color accuracy, and most importantly, resolution. 3x the pixels make a massive difference in usability for modern games! Text is actually readable, and everything is much sharper in general, especially when you are in stereo, and feeding your brain information that it smoothes into a single stereo image.

The 60 degree FOV looks even larger than it sounds, too. At first glance, an extra 25 or 30 degrees more than most headsets does not sound that impressive, but keep in mind the rules of increasing screen size. Compared to a 32 degree VR920, you have nearly 4 times as much screen real estate! I have played a lot of games in the FPS genre with this, and one thing that is great is that in games like Team Fortress 2 or Portal, you can very easily adjust the FOV of the game to match the FOV of the HMD itself. This lends a huge immersion factor, much better than the weirdness of low FOV headsets with high FOV games. Racing and flight simulation are also great fun. Also, POV videos in a certain genre! ;)

Stereo3D is super easy, just dual VGA using IZ3D drivers. Not much to elaborate on, except to say that the 3D effect feels much stronger with a larger image size, something owners of 3DTVs have noted as well.

When I first got the unit, I was very pleased with the sound quality of the speaker modules, Sennheiser HD25s, but there was a problem: Being mounted to the frame, they carried the sound of the fan very well, right to my ears. You could not just flip the speakers up out of the way like you can with some HMDs, either, so my only option was to take apart the unit and remove them. I am glad I did! I usually use earbuds, or for better comfort, Koss KSC-75s, and the unit is lighter on the whole now. That, along with the fact that my ears do not get warm as easily, mean that I can use it for long periods of time without any stress. The headband is very comfortable, and has good adjustment.

If you have any questions about the V8, I would be glad to answer them. Sadly, I am very much considering selling this unit. :( I do not get enough use out of it, which lead me to almost sell it a while back, but I could just not bring myself to let it get away from me! Unfortunately, I need the money pretty badly for personal reasons that have come up these past few months. In light of that, I will probably be making an eBay listing tonight or tomorrow morning. I will link it here and in my signature, if you guys know anybody who would buy it, I would really appreciate you pointing them to it.

Kaiser ProView 30 (PV30)

I got these as a set of two, I got to keep one of them!

Pros:
-The head mount is probably the best one I have ever used. Very, very comfortable, foam with leather padding, well balanced.
-IPD adjustment is very easy, as is height and tilt
-Optics are only 35 degrees, but they are very, very high quality, and comfortable on your eyes!
-Lightweight for the size, and like I said, very well balanced, thanks to the rigid frame with the cable coming out of the back.

Cons:
-My pair does not have a functioning driver board for the 1.3" LCDs it uses.
-Hard to gauge any other cons, considering this.
-Dual input is nice, but it is s-video and composite only.

This one was great, it came from a hospital, with a fiber optic headlamp, too! It was marketed under a 3D laparascopic surgery system, the "Vista StereoSite". It was apparently one of the test systems, because it came with a huge book full of details for hundreds of surgeries it had been used on, mostly tumor removals, and in the back was a contract detailing how it was a loaner system from Vista to the hospital, to be leased for free in exchange for survey and testing information. Looks like they never got it back, after they went out of business! I wish it was fully functioning, but oh well. I plan on ditching the optics and LCDs, and using the mount for some DIY projects. I plan on taking lots of 3D pics before tearing it down, though!

Another relic from the golden age of VR, when these things were the future.

More reviews tomorrow! I meant to write more, but I had to work out my Paypal account being limited. Crazy bastards!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Review of my HMD collection with pics! (Updated regularl

Post by cybereality »

Nice, keep 'em coming. I remember wanting the Victormaxx so badly when I was younger. But my mom would never buy it for me. Just like she never got me the PowerGlove. Somehow I think I was better off imagining how cool they were than to actually have them and realize they were crap.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I know what you mean, Cyber! Perhaps if we had gotten everything we wanted as a kid, our dreams of VR being possible would have been shattered into pessimism. Maybe it is better we had a while to dream, which technology caught up. :lol:

Added a new review, for the Olympus Eyetrek FMD-200! One of my favorite units for sure, maybe not for gaming, but movies and TV shows are great.
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Thank you Palmer, very interesting! :)
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
Okta

Post by Okta »

Great Palmer i have been waiting to see your collection.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Those Olympus glasses look small, but I think the Vuzix Wrap glasses might be a tad smaller. Still, 39 degrees ain't too shabby at all.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Really? I always got the impression that they were fairly thick. I would love to try them out, maybe in a while.

And thanks, Johny and Okta! Both of you have lots of fascinating threads, hopefully I can give a little bit of niche reading material back. :P

I have started on the review for the V8, but stuff got in the way. It will definitely be up tomorrow, though, hopefully pretty early in the day!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well, the Vuzix Wrap glasses are pretty thick compared to normal sunglasses, but relatively small for an HMD. At the thickest part they are around 1 inch, about the same thickness as the diameter of a US quarter. Looking again at the Olympus, maybe that one is actually smaller, I'm not sure. But they are comparable is size.
Vuzix_Wrap_310_01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I will take a picture tomorrow of it compared to a US quarter.

Sorry for not getting any more reviews up today, real life strikes again. Tomorrow for sure, though! Not doing anything tomorrow, aside from picking up an iPad 2.
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Nice Palmer!!

Man my prob is I buy , try , get bored and then sell.

I've had 4 VFX-1 at one time
VFX 3d
I-glasses 3d crap.
3 Vissettes pro, only 1 with the controller board
3 trimersion for mods purpose
2 Vuzix VR920 they were well u know.
Z800
Cy-visor 4400vp
i-glasses x2 way back when.
MRG2.2 heavy as we all know.

Almost had

N-vision Viewpoint, lost the bid by $100 because I was in the hospital, went back in the hospital after I found out I lost the bid HAHAH

V8 wanted to try real bad, but Palmer kept it close to him like a step child...
V6 almost bought for $3k back in late 2003 from the company themselfs, thank god I didn't. Could get 3 of those now from Tone for that price....

And almost the Datavisor 80 when the lost brain had it for sale, it sold for $1700 on ebay back in 2007. You needed some serious wildcat graphic card to use it. I could only spit out $1200...

Figured to add my old collection. , keep pluggin away Palmer..

Ku
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

And which one was the best according to you VRgamesterz ?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Updated a little bit, read post for info.
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Fredz,

I'd say the VFX1 was the best for at the time, because we weren't looking for great graphics back then playin doom or Duke and when they setup was kinda easy with the PC then, it was cool because the fov was awesome, didn't know any better, the tracking was just new and wierd and the puck just made it differant to play. But back then nobody was really good at using the mouse anyways. All around a beast for our price, I know there were better stuff out there but you had to rob a bank to own one.

I bet they didn't sell as many as they would have liked and thats when the wheels started to fall off, then VFX 3D, wow alittle better in resolution and you make the screen smaller, from there all down hill. Now were getting sun glasses with the same size screen 17 years later..
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

VRgamesterz wrote:Now were getting sun glasses with the same size screen 17 years later..
I know, thats the saddest part. When I was reading about VR in the early 90's I would have imagined we would have some pretty sick systems by now. Its almost laughable how far we have come (not not come, rather).
Johnny-Mnemonic

Size and weight are also important factors, but it's fact that I like to use retro MRG2.2 better than modern VR920 when I want to play tricks with immersion.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Updated, added review of V8! PV30 and VR920 tomorrow.

Hey VRgamesterz, that is a pretty great collection! Think you might post a thread with pics and reviews yourself? A few of those have very little info on the internet concerning them. :)

FOV is indeed more important than FOV in some cases, as shown by my liking my Olympus Eye-Trek so much! I wish we had some advancements by now, image if only 1% of the money going into, say, camera optics R&D were put towards HMD optics.

Let me know what you guys think!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I sold my VR920 on eBay, and I don't miss it one bit. Ended up getting $255 for it, which is not bad considering I paid $400 and used it for almost 4 years. I'm hoping to put the money toward a 1200VR, or maybe this DIY headset I've been thinking about. Its all about how useful the thing is to you, regardless of how much you like it. If you don't use it, you might as well sell it. I finally started selling stuff on eBay a few months back, and I'm hooked. I've had auctions up constantly since then and the money is just rolling in. Not big bucks, but $20 here, $50 there, it all adds up. Probably made around $1000 in the past 3 months just selling junk I don't use on eBay. Its so much fun!
Johnny-Mnemonic

OMG, you are selling V8?
Very sadly for me that I'm low on budget right now, this thing I want really badly... :(
Okta

Post by Okta »

Can the V8 input higher res than vga? Sadly its also out of my budget :(
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I think you are right, Cyber. I have sold quite a bit on eBay, and it is definitely fun to have extra money for "free"!

And yes, I do not have much of a choice, I do need the money. :( Here is a link to the auction, no reserve price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 710wt_1139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Okta, it does not, max input is 640x480, 32 bit color, 60hz per eye.

Wish me luck with my sale!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well I've placed a bid. I don't have much spare money at the moment (I've got a little saved for Nintendo 3DS) but I might as well get in there. Its probably gonna get too expensive for me though.
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

I'll try and place a bid with 3 seconds left muhahahahahaha..

Good luck man..

Hey lets all pitch in and we will use this as a time share, we will get it certain dates. Check it..

http://sensics.com/products/xSight/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd dooooooooooooooooooooooo anything to try it out, and in the video that tracker looks like it acts like a camera, it followed his movement to perfect to be true.

ltr..

think about the time share lol
Johnny-Mnemonic

VRgamesterz wrote:I'll try and place a bid with 3 seconds left muhahahahahaha..
Oh no, I hate when such happens! :mrgreen:
PalmerTech wrote:Wish me luck with my sale!
I wish you the best of luck Palmer! ;)
Personally I will try to participate in the auction, but didn't sure that I will be able to beat it!
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

If you check the list in my first post, you will see that I have tried an X-Sight (It is near the bottom of my "tried but do not have" list, which is actually old, looking at it, I need to add a couple more). :) Only briefly, and the application was not very interesting. :(

Sensics had/has a position open for an HMD technician at their headquarters in Maryland, think anyone here would be good for it? I would go for it myself, but I am way over here in CA, and I cannot move over there for a bunch of reasons.

Thanks Johnny! Who knows, it might go for less than you expect! The nice thing about being on this forum is that even if I have to let it go for less than I want, it will probably be to someone who will give it a great home, and continue to play with it. :D
Okta

Post by Okta »

And here i was with a lazy 3k in my pocket, but alas, no postage to Aus... :lol: j/k
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Well im gonna try and e-mail the guy and tell him I think he is my dad :lol:

I bet playing a game instead of looking at an application would just be mind blowing to have that FOV. The box and that cable are not energy saving im sure but damn.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

120 degree FOV. Sick! $39,000. Not so much.
Johnny-Mnemonic

cybereality wrote:120 degree FOV. Sick! $39,000. Not so much.
They also have great resolution - 1920x1200 per eye!
I guess such price tag is because each unit is crafted manually and they need to make whole company running from few units sold per year :)
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

You guys have prob been to this site but figured to add it..

http://vrguy.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty cool blogs.
Johnny-Mnemonic

PalmerTech could you please allow to e-bay user mnemonic2009 (that's me) shipment to Ukraine? :)
Otherwise e-bay doesn't allow me to place my bid!
Thank you!
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Done! Should work for you now. :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Damn, I've been outbid already! I know I really can't afford this but I still want it...
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Posted a review of the Kaiser PV30! More tomorrow, gah, I wish I could just spend a few weeks posting about my collection and fiddling with all my projects, but real life cuts into that a lot more than I would like.

Oh well, at least real life is stereo, too! :woot
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Nice reviews, I'm gutted I didn't know about your V8 before it sold! I would of sold my left arm to get my hands (hand :P) on that! :(
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”