Headplay & seeing double

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
mystd
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Headplay & seeing double

Post by mystd »

If I could adjust it more it might work, just used nvidia shutter glasses with a 120hz monitor and it worked perfectly with and without my normal glasses. It's clearly not the 3D it has something to do with the 2 pictures. My friend also said it might be because the pictures are very close to my eyes, perhaps that is the problem.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Can you set up the headplay so you can see clearly through each eye with the other shut? If you then open both eyes you get double image? That is very strange.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Dude, its all in your mind. You can do it. There is no spoon!
mystd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mystd »

@okta To aswer your qustion: yes

@cybereality I can't be sure, that's why I'll test any possiblity
mystd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mystd »

I just got my new glasses, they are pretty great I can see much better with them. So the first thing I did was test the headplay of course and it works even less then before..... Only thing left is to practice my eyes.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Thats too bad to hear. I wouldn't be surprised if you could overcome this difficulty with some practice exercises. However you might be even better off just getting a 3D monitor, like an Nvidia 3D Vision bundle. I've been using a 3D monitor (Zalman Trimon) for a few years now and I find I never really touch my VR920 HMD anymore for gaming. 3D projection has also gotten a lot more affordable, and you can have a 100" 3D screen for under $500. Probably a lot more impressive than a low-end HMD. I don't know, something to think about.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

mystd wrote:I just got my new glasses, they are pretty great I can see much better with them. So the first thing I did was test the headplay of course and it works even less then before..... Only thing left is to practice my eyes.
Practice looking at the tip of your finger and moving it slowly closer and away from you nose.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
endererikli
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by endererikli »

I have read the whole thread before and after getting my own pair of Headplay HMDs. I would say I have got precisely same issue as mystd does. This is in regard to colors variation between the two pupils when i try harder, constant double screen and occasional recovery from the double view and going back in to it.

I feel (same as mystd says) that if the IPD sliders would let me move them further closer to the next pupil then it would be resolved. I feel so because the screens in my view are getting more binding over eachother, the more i push the sliders towards my nose.

I had read on a forum that some hmd user opened their hmd pair and shifted the pin to catch from a further claw, of the display unit therefore fixing the starting point of the IPDistance to a narrower position. This allowed them closer pupil distance and it was ok for them from then on.

Maybe initial calibration/locking of the IPD slides VS display units are just random, accordingly it doesn't cover some particular users' native IPD while some others are OK with it.

I found that if i first focus to a very distant place and put the HP unit quickly within sight; the problem just does not pursue for a second. Not everytime though. This gives me a clue on what i would do first if i open up the device.

I know it is years that this thread is not receiving posts, but just wanted to share my remarks and experience maybe to hear in response, some more of it.

Regards.
ChrisP
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ChrisP »

hi. im not sure if this will work for outhers but it worked for me.. test for your domonent eye and keep it closed as much as possoble while watching tv and and on the pc i did this for most of the day and at the end of the night it worked!
endererikli
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by endererikli »

In your case as well, was the problem same? Viewing two split screen?
I would like to give it a try then.
Thanks for posting.
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Just like in attaining Nirvana, as soon as you 'try' you are taking a step in the opposite direction..

Just accept it the way it is for now, put on a movie and just let your eyes adjust to it over time..

Maybe if you stop trying to see it, it will happen all by itself.

Interesting thread !!
endererikli
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by endererikli »

Just accept it the way it is for now, put on a movie and just let your eyes adjust to it over time..
This works to some extent. "There is no spoon" guy was right maybe, on his earlier post here.

I've lost my interest in the screen for a second and it became a single screen for a while. But maybe that was just my brain ignored the signal from one of the pupils or it just worked the way it should.

I found that when i leave a random pupil ajar, it looks like one screen. When two pupils are wide open, i see two intermingled pictures which is the problem.

Precisely as this one, which i had seen on this thread before:
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/2349/examplef.png

Beer helps with anything, i'll try it with the goggles on. to see what wonder it would come up with.

I am not an expert but i have the feeling that MY ipd differs from the recording CAMERAs' ipd.
This can be what unintentionally pushes my mind outside the "one picture universe". Maybe there is a visual mechanism that "gives a guess" what the "other eye" would submit, and comparing its guess to what is provided and finding it irrelevant, denying to take it a single view. Just an assumption. Let's call it "my supra-brain has more sophisticated visual processing algorithms" theory.
mystd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mystd »

The problem was the headplays single screen + my eyes. I'm using an "android hmd" now and it works flawlessly.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

That's great to hear man.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”