Forum for immersive technologies?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Forum for immersive technologies?

Post by PalmerTech »

First off, there is nothing wrong with MTBS3D, this is an awesome forum. :) Just noting that there is a lot of stuff discussed that lacks specific sections that has nothing really to do with 3D in particular (HMDs, Lucid Dreaming, Fresnel setups, wearable computing, augmented reality, force feedback, etc). The other thing is that it is scattered all over, and unless you already know where the interesting topics are, it can be hard to find relevant info.

Same thing with the Stereo3D forums, but worse. They are an invaluable resource, but not very visible to modern search engines, and uses an ancient bulletin board system. Far better to have something standardized and modern that can be reliably backed up and archived and moved, if needed. Especially considering that basically all the old virtual reality and wearable computing web sites have disappeared, and the state of the rest in constant danger (There were actually a lot of good Geocities sites, before it was shut down!), it makes sense to have a place where relevant info can be posted, so that it does not vanish with those mid 90s websites.

Basically, keeping 3D discussion here is great, but I was wondering it it might be beneficial for someone to try a dedicated website for "All that other weird stuff". :lol: Anybody think this is a decent idea? I could add a sub-domain on my web site for a PHPBB forum, and if it works well, I can and will get some hosting with a dedicated domain and all that.

There is too niche of a community for this stuff to expect it to be large, but it could be a great resource! And would possible ease keeping up to date with this stuff.

Thoughts, anyone? I could just be dead wrong, if you think so, tell me why, you are likely right. :lol:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Forum for immersive technologies?

Post by cybereality »

I agree that this could be a good place for other VR type technology that isn't strictly stereo 3d (like the novint falcon, etc.) but I am not sure it needs its own sub-forum. This site has enough sub-forums as it is and recently restructured to kill off a lot of extra fat. I think if there is something that is important enough it will be ok to go in the regular 3D sections. For example, the user-contributed news section usually has some articles that aren't strictly 3D like that force-feedback exoskeleton arm thing. The DIY section could easily be used for any kind of homebrew hardware hacking. And if something was really cool then it should go in the general discussion forum. I think this is probably good enough seeing as VR isn't really too popular these days. I mean, even if we had our own section I am not sure it would be that active. That said if other people think a new section is a good idea then I support that too.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I did not mean a new section here, I meant an entirely separate forum, apart from MTBS3D, with its own web address, dedicated to that stuff. :P

It would make new people getting educated much easier. They would have all the info clumped in one tight spread, not washed all over the place here and elsewhere on the web.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hmm. In that case, thats another story. Could be cool but probably hard to get off the ground. I would be willing to help though.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Like I said, "get off the ground" is not the goal that much. There are just not enough people into it... Well, that are not just lurking in the shadows, anyways. ;) I mean, even here, realize that 80%+ of the discussion about VR stuff is from the same 10 people or so. And the views on the topics are also very, very small! Even if it was just a small forum with not too much traffic, it would be nice to have everything we can find about HMDs and stuff posted on it so that the info will not be lost.

Short version: Forum does not need to be "successful" in member/post numbers, just in content. :)
SinSilla
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by SinSilla »

In short: Count me in! :D

Even though we do have a couple of threads in here in which we can discuss "our stuff", it would be really nice to have a better structured place since those information can get lost pretty easy in here.
Neil

Post by Neil »

It might be easier to just create a subforum here for the odds and ends. Just come up with a solid description for it.

Regards,
Neil
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Thanks for the offer, Neil! I am going to do this today, just a sub-domain on my main site. I can either move it all into a sub-forum here if it gets going, or just let it die off, or get a dedicated domain, whatever people think is best. :)

EDIT: Sub domain will be called AltVR. If anyone has a better name, make suggestions, this is just a temporary starting point anyways.
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

PalmerTech wrote:EDIT: Sub domain will be called AltVR. If anyone has a better name, make suggestions, this is just a temporary starting point anyways.
Why AltVR? Alternative VR?
Let it will be named "VR", or "Virtual Reality", this term incorporates pretty much, if we stick with modern terminology it can be "Immersive VR".
Stereoscopy is cool, but it's just stereoscopy, VR is much more. HMD's, tracking, haptics, 3DUI, hardware & software-related themes, etc...
So it's pretty much incorporates themes mentioned in first post.
Neil wrote:It might be easier to just create a subforum here for the odds and ends. Just come up with a solid description for it.
Don't see any odds in this.

By the way, here one of the new places to join!
http://www.vrgeeks.org/
It's just opened, so welcome with discussions!
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Mainly just trying to a stick with a name that is not already used or registered. Most obvious names already have domains registered to them.

VR Forums, Virtual Reality Forums, etc are all taken. Could be like MTBS3D, where we use an abbreviation? The name is not too important overall, though it might help with search rankings.
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Add my vote for sure, sit tight untill you get a good name, im sure we will continue this journy for a long time or untill were to old and are eyesite starts to go. How about VRProjects... :mrgreen:

Ku
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Got it all set up, about to add forum sections. Probably want to keep them as few as possible, any ideas?
Okta

Post by Okta »

It might be a go considering mtbs3d is mostly focussed on current and future 3d industry only so a place to focus on VR overall would be great unless Neil wants to make a VR sub forum and start shifting the existing threads into there.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Neil

Post by Neil »

It's not that hard to do. It fits because people into 3D would likely take an interest in add-ons to complete the experience.

If you want it, I can do it. Just give the word.

Regards,
Neil
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

http://altvr.modretro.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check it out! I will be posting some stuff over the next week that I think all of you will find interesting, including reviews of two HMDs that nobody has ever reviewed anywhere on the internet.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I just registered on the forum but it wouldn't let me reply to the 1 thread that was there. Maybe you should check the settings.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Hmm, I will see about that, thanks for the heads up.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Okay, fixed, I think!

Neil PM'd me, don't worry, I will not be spamming this forum all over here. ;) I will definitely be linking AltVR back to MBTS3D very prominently, this is a great forum.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”