Artistic installation using VR HMDs

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Margolis
One Eyed Hopeful

Artistic installation using VR HMDs

Post by Margolis »

Hello!

I'm a visual artist from France working with interactive installations and video. I recently have been contacted by a local company,
which wants to build some art installations for their stores.

I was always curious about VR and this time decided to give it a try (especially since it's them who pay for everything :)

I want to make some sort of masks, that people put over the faces and instead of holes, there are VR goggles inside, so you see
a virtual world, which responds to your head movement. (rotation, pitch, yawn).

I do need to get crisp image of product and they do some leather and wood objects, so I need to show texture and everything.
So it's more about quality of image, than 180 degrees immersion.

So I spent lots of time looking for "affordable" HDMs. Things like Oculus and low-end gear, I put aside due to their pixelation issue
(screen-door effect). I contacted pretty much all companies that I found on the net.. the prices for SXGA binocular system are
around 12000 (sensics, cinoptics etc). 60 degrees POV.. which is nice, but somewhat expensive. I can probably get two max...

Trivisio is building 45 degrees SXGA and they sell for around 3000 dollars. That's pretty interesting, but they are only 45 degres.
They use OLED micro-displays from MicroOled company, which claim to have virtually no visible grid between pixels.
Their sets are also quite compact, made in germany and looks like this company is pretty serious.

Finally I found this forum and looks like there are people with good experience here.
Could you share your expertise ?
Am I looking in the right direction ?
Is there any other options I should consider ?
Do I understand correctly the notion of image quality, angle and such ?

Thank you much,
M.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Artistic installation using VR HMDs

Post by cybereality »

Really, if you don't like the Oculus Rift, then I can't imagine bothering with anything else. I bet some headsets for many thousands of dollars probably aren't even as good.

You do realize SXGA is 1280x1024, while the DK2 is 1920x1080. However, the Rift is split between the eyes (960x1080 per eye) and at a much higher FOV so pixels will be more apparent.

I guess there is an argument for picture quality over FOV but then it's barely even "virtual reality" at that point and maybe not worth the effort.

The Sony HMZ was around 50 degrees with dual 1280x720 screens, and the picture did look nice, but there was no head-tracking and it had comfort issues.

It sounds like maybe you haven't tried any of these headsets. Maybe it's worth buying a DK2 and seeing if it meets your needs.
Margolis
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Artistic installation using VR HMDs

Post by Margolis »

Thanks for your answer.
Yes you are right - I haven't tried any VR sets as the matter of fact. I just read people opinion on internet.
When it comes to quality, it's often quite personal. The trivisio set is 1280x1024 per eye (so it's 2560x1024 vs 1920x1080 oculus).
I do realise however, that due high FOV for oculus, it's obvious that you loose quality. If you narrow vision, you gain it.

I guess I should try Oculus, but from what i've heard in terms of complains, it looks like the famous "screen-door effect" is quite
obvious.

So I wonder if anybody had an experience with something other than Oculus...

As for head tracking, you can always get an external IMU (it cost around 120 dollars) and stick it to the headset.

For example this one

http://www.yeitechnology.com/productdis ... y_features
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

H

Post by Dilip »

I suggest you to try Samsung Gear VR 2+Galaxy S6. Gear VR2 being less fov (90/96 which is VR class FoV) than dk2(110) and Galaxy S6 relatively smaller screen than Samsung Note 4 still 2560x1440 screen (577 ppi at 5.1 inch) and professional grade oculus tracking. Its only available economical HMD in market to offer 1280x1440 per eye if you want to purchase right now. Ideal solution if you want to look classy and techie yet don't break the bank (phone is bonus, when not in demo). GEAR VR2 with GALAXY S6 weight just 409Gms that's only 20 Gms more than Dk2 (380Gms) with improved V2 better fitting and nice weight distribution its best ergonomic device to be considered for your demonstration purpose.
Margolis wrote: Trivisio is building 45 degrees SXGA and they sell for around 3000 dollars. That's pretty interesting, but they are only 45 degres.
They use OLED micro-displays from MicroOled company, which claim to have virtually no visible grid between pixels.
Their sets are also quite compact, made in germany and looks like this company is pretty serious.
S6 can be purchased for as low as $600 off contract.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/boost-mobil ... Id=8577028

Gear VR2 is good to buy at $200.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-gea ... Id=7115001

That's $800 for WQHD VR hmd totally wireless, in $3200 around you can have 4 Such Complete VR Systems.

You can always use unreal 4 for awesome effects,See here what UE4 can do .... (its French too ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRqMbHgBIyY

Equally JAW DROPPING Scandinavian showdown of UE4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGZfUzBD8MQ

Though mobile hardware slight limiting, There are many tricks for Mobile VR development for which you can refer OC site. UE4 is also conditionally free for OC users too. Gear VR more than compensate for low power hardware by being wireless totally. You also mentioned video in your purpose here its ultimate being high resolution and VR FoV, try 360 video too (If you build in 3D software like Blender, port models to UE4 then make VR 360 Video of It and Show on GEAR VR). With right development you can WOW the clients for sure.

Adding controller at $24 is good idea for VR walk-through or gaming when using personally.
http://www.amazon.com/POWER-MOGA-Hero-E ... 00FB5R9OY/
(its fully supporting and half the price of Samsung one_)

I am not OC or Samsung employee ...i love if they consider me for their sales though. 8-)
*what i mentioned above is total unbiased truth...you can check all reviews and facts freely available on net!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”