VR headset AntVR - a scam or not? What do you think?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
tg022011
One Eyed Hopeful

VR headset AntVR - a scam or not? What do you think?

Post by tg022011 »

Hey guys found this new VR headset just raised funding through Kickstarter. It's called AntVR
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/80 ... eality-kit

I thought the video was cool, also liked its transformable controller, but the reviews made me feel like it's a scam... it didn't even talk about head tracking
http://www.roadtovr.com/antvr-universal ... like-know/

Not sure what you guys think?
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: VR headset AntVR - a scam or not? What do you think?

Post by V8Griff »

It's been mentioned on here in one or two other threads and was widely trashed on Reddit.

Lots of incorrect claims made with regards to its existing capabilities and it seems all a bit too good to be true being completely 'cross platform'

I backed it initially but as it became apparent that the full 6DOF tracking they were claiming was already available wasn't even done and the videos they posted showed some rather poor implementation of tracking.

The main thing that worried me was that they framed the videos in a way so you couldn't properly see what was happening when 'tracking' was being shown, it wasn't clear that the motion being demonstrated was actually coming from the HMD and teh controller.

I suspected that they were controlling the views with the keyboard as they never showed HMD and weapon movement/tracking being replicated on a monitor except in close up.

I and others may be proved wrong but I suspect it was all too good to be true. I cancelled my pledge.
IanBruce
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by IanBruce »

V8Griff wrote:It's been mentioned on here in one or two other threads and was widely trashed on Reddit... I backed it initially but as it became apparent that the full 6DOF tracking they were claiming was already available wasn't even done and the videos they posted showed some rather poor implementation of tracking...
They're actually claiming 9-axis tracking, so I guess it also works in hyperspace. That said, I do like the idea of a stand-alone system with a plug-in mapped controller. We'd explored the same idea for gaming apps under WorldBoard back in 1999, but that was with an AR system with plenty of real-world spacial cues.

We'd never have consider doing this in a fully virtual environment. The risk of a player falling, running into a wall, or launching themselves out a window was just too high.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I wouldn't call it a scam but they're lying about their specs and were badmouthing Oculus VR at the same time :
- 100° FOV but 80°x60° in reality (confirmed by private message) (DK1 is 117°x112° for the author of the SDK)
- positional tracking with only an IMU, although it's impossible because of the drift
- claimed OR is distorted and doesn't use aspheric lenses which is false (corrected at my request, but still...)
- announced support for any console, but the rendering will always be wrong since it's not modifiable (no IPD, interaxial, camera separation or eye relief adjustment)
- promised no screen door effect, although it's not possible at this magnification and with this resolution

So I'd say it's not smelling too good.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Their intentions might not be bad (though probably extremely optimistic), but I'm no longer interested in HMDs developed by companies who haven't done significant research and development in the field (which is the impression I get from AntVR), at least not at this point in time when there's still much to be resolved. There's no need for what is essentially a higher-res DK1 with attached controller.
IanBruce
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by IanBruce »

MSat wrote:Their intentions might not be bad (though probably extremely optimistic), but I'm no longer interested in HMDs developed by companies who haven't done significant research and development in the field (which is the impression I get from AntVR), at least not at this point in time when there's still much to be resolved. There's no need for what is essentially a higher-res DK1 with attached controller.
I know one of AntVR's VC fundraisers -- Jarod Che. I'll see if I can wrangle a tour of AntVR's studio next time I'm in Beijing.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

IanBruce wrote:
MSat wrote:Their intentions might not be bad (though probably extremely optimistic), but I'm no longer interested in HMDs developed by companies who haven't done significant research and development in the field (which is the impression I get from AntVR), at least not at this point in time when there's still much to be resolved. There's no need for what is essentially a higher-res DK1 with attached controller.
I know one of AntVR's VC fundraisers -- Jarod Che. I'll see if I can wrangle a tour of AntVR's studio next time I'm in Beijing.
Cool. I wouldn't mind being wrong about my current impression. :)

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”