I have a Sony KDL50W800C TV, ???, Nvidia 3DTV and Controlers

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
will1384
Cross Eyed!

I have a Sony KDL50W800C TV, ???, Nvidia 3DTV and Controlers

Post by will1384 »

I got the Sony KDL50W800C cheap, it was a damaged open box unit, and my old TV was dying, so I jumped on the cheap price.

I have done a few tests with the TV and it will do a real 120hz at 720p, but at 1080p its a fake 120hz, I tested using the method over at
http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/ and a digital camera.

I downloaded the trial Nvidia 3DTV Play software and it does work with this TV, but the Nvidia 3DTV Play software only wants to use the 720p 60hz or 1080p 24hz, but not the 720p at 120hz, is there any way to force Nvidia 3DTV Play software to use other resolution or refresh rates ?

I am also wondering about getting an older Nvidia 3d vision kit, to see if it would allow me to use the higher refresh rates, and I am thinking that the emitter would activate the 3DTV Play software so I don't have to buy the Nvidia 3DTV Play software.

Right now I am using a pair of eDimensional Active Rechargeable 3D Glasses, they seem to work well, and I can use them with my prescription glasses, I also have a cheap pair of Samsung SSG-5150GB 3D Glasses on order as a backup pair, the TV does not come with any 3D glasses.

This TV will play 3D SBS movies from a thumb drive, or when using the Youtube APP that is installed.

There are only a few things I dislike about this TV, one is it that the Android that is installed cant be rooted yet, another is that for some reason the Android installed on this TV wont let you use a mouse or keyboard for anything other than the web browser, I have not tested any games yet, but its kinda painful to have to use the remote to type and navigate the screen, anyone have ideas on a controller / air mouse / keyboard that might work.

I watched some Google cardboard SBS demos on Youtube and they looked real good in 3D, I wonder if I can find a motion tracker that would work with a USB connection under Android that would also work with side-loaded Google cardboard APPs, and then force the TV into 3D mode :geek:

Are there any useful Android APPs or Games that would be good for this TV, any stuff in Android that would work in 3D?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: I have a Sony KDL50W800C TV, ???, Nvidia 3DTV and Contro

Post by cybereality »

Nvidia 3DTV Play will only do 720P60 and 1080P24. This was originally a limitation of the HDMI 1.4a chipsets and was never really updated as bandwidth improved.

Most 3D TVs can also to SBS, so you can try with the TriDef DDD drivers in 1080P SBS, though it's up for debate whether 720P full res is better or worse than 1080P half res.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

I had trouble with TriDef 3D, my TV will only go into 3D mode for 720P 60hz and 1080P 24hz when attached to a computer, and the Nvidia 3DTV software seem to have calmed 720P 60hz and 1080P 24hz for its self, I had to add a custom resolution for TriDef 3D, I made a 720P 60hz but changed the timing standard to DMT so that it would be different than the 720P 60hz 3D that Nvidia 3DTV is using, with the custom 720P 60hz I can then start the game with TriDef 3D and then use the TV to switch to 3d mode.

You can also use the custom 720P 60hz with VLC to play SBS movies, you start the SBS movie with VLC then switch the TV into 3D SBS mode, the menu gets distorted but the video plays just fine.

UPDATE

I was able to get TriDef 3D to work at 1080P 60hz, but still no 3D at 120hz, and I think the TV sees the 720P 120hz has 1080P and just scales 720P to 1080P, I think this because when I have 720P 120hz set on the computer the TV shows 1920x1080/120Hz when I press the "display" key on the remote, also from what I can tell the TV plays videos in 3d better using its built in video player under Android, than the same video played from a computer in 3D using VLC.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

I have a used Nvidia 3d vision kit on order, its a version one I believe, it has the glasses and emitter, according to the page over at:

https://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play-overview.html

the emitter will activate the 3DTV Play software, and the used Nvidia 3d vision kit cost was only a little more than the cost of the software.

I am hoping to use Nvidia 3d vision with the TV, because the TVs 720P 120hz passed the blurbusters.com test.

I tried Vireio Perception today and could not get it to work, I set it to SBS mode with no tracking in a resolution that I could switch the TV into 3D mode manually, but I could never get SBS video in the game I was testing, I was using Unreal Tournament 1999, with the updated DX9 files for the game and I have Windows 10 installed, I will try something else when I have time.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Honestly, I think the 720P60 3D mode with Nvidia 3DTV Play will be your best option.

However, you'll have to use the glasses for your TV. Nvidia glasses only work on computer monitors.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

cybereality wrote:Honestly, I think the 720P60 3D mode with Nvidia 3DTV Play will be your best option.

However, you'll have to use the glasses for your TV. Nvidia glasses only work on computer monitors.
I have looked around the geforce.com forums, and it seems that Nvidia 3d vision dislikes HDMI, but I have also read were EDID edits were used to enable it, and there is this:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... ort-sbs/1/

and

https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto

from what I have read in the posts its a patch and files added to games to enable SBS mode, its rough around the edges but seems to be working for some people and for some games, I will likey stick with EDID edits and overrides but if I have to I will make another EDID spoofer.

Nvidia needs to ether update Nvidia 3d vision / 3DTV Play software or open source it. :(
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

I messed around with making a custom EDID inf file, I used

Deltacast E-EDID Editor from over at:
http://www.deltacast.tv/products/free-s ... did-editor

And

Monitor Asset Manager from over at:
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

and I had to disable "Driver Signature Verification" because I am using Windows 10, there are some "how-to" pages over at:

http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to- ... d-drivers/

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ins ... d92336d248

I was able to change how Nvidia sees the video port connected to the TV, and make Nvidia think I am using a monitor and not a TV just by changing the "Manufacturer ID" "Product ID" to a Active 3D monitor compatible with Nvidia 3d vision, but that also blocks any sound going over HDMI and Nvidia 3DTV is disabled.

I don't have the Nvidia 3d vision kit yet, so I will have to wait on testing 3d vision.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, that could work on the software side but the issue is the sync between the glasses and the screen.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

After making a EDID inf file and installing it, I was having trouble switching back to the way it was before, this is what worked for me:

(1) Uninstall the TV / monitor / driver from the control panel.
(2) Unplug the TV from the computer.
(3) Restart the computer.
(4) Go to the "C:\Windows\INF" folder, sort the folder by date, open the last few INF files installed with notepad, find the EDID inf that you installed, and delete that file.
(5) Plug the TV back into the computer.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

cybereality wrote:Yeah, that could work on the software side but the issue is the sync between the glasses and the screen.
I got the Nvidia 3d vision kit in today, the Nvidia glasses look very similar to the eDimensional Active 3D Glasses except the Nvidia glasses are thicker around the sides were the battery and electronics are.

3DTV Play was not activating with the 3D Vision emitter installed, a forum search over at:

https://forums.geforce.com

suggested that I had to uninstall "NVIDIA 3DTV Play Activation Utility", I used CCleaner to uninstall, then 3DTV Play worked without asking at activate at boot, and no longer shows how many days left to activate, the catch is that you have to keep the emitter connected to the computer for 3DTV Play to work.

I tried an EDID spoofer, but its not working, I will have to test my EDID spoofer with some other displays and double check my soldering and wires.

I tried an EDID inf file were I changed the name and model to a monitor known to work with the Nvidia 3d vision kit, and removed any extended information in the EDID file, but the 3d vision setup keep switching screen resolution that is not 120hz, then the 3d vision software complains about the screen resolution, I had to fake my way threw the setup just so I could try the 3D glasses, I tried the test application and a 3D video, the 3D glasses do come on, but the 3d affect only works in the middle, not in the background or up close, so I am thinking its not getting the timing correct, I also tried a made up name for the monitor in the EDID inf file, but it has the same problem.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I think you're making your life really hard for no gain.

Just uninstall/remove all the hacks and use 3DTV Play legit and everything should work.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

cybereality wrote:I think you're making your life really hard for no gain.

Just uninstall/remove all the hacks and use 3DTV Play legit and everything should work.
I know, but were is the fun in that ;)

The TV will play Youtube videos in 3D, but with my 1.5MB DSL, it looks horrible, so I installed "youtube-dl" and "youtube-dl-gui" on my Linux desktop, then let that program download all the SBS 3D Youtube videos I want over night and then transfer them to a USB external hard drive, then connect that USB hard drive to the TV and watch with its built in 3D video player, this works well except the video player wants to use thumbnails and it also shortens the filename to match the size of the thumbnails making it hard to tell what the file name is, its even more of a problem with lots of files, and there does not seem to be any way to change the directory view to something more detailed like you could with a file manager.

I have tried using few different video players with the TV's version of Android, none installed from Google Play will allow you to set the TV in 3D mode, however for about 1 out of 10 video files the TV will automatically switch to 3D, maybe thats something encoded into the video file, I tried VLC, MX Player Pro, SPMC, Kodi, Archos, and BSPlayer.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

The EDID spoofer I made for this was a copy of the one I did for the DIY Rift, and it works with my DIY Rift and with other LCD TVs, just not the Sony TV, I will have to look into that, another problem I was running into was I had the DIY Rift attached to one DVI port, my main monitor attached to my second DVI port and the TV attached to a Mini-HDMI port all on the same video card, that was causing problems for the Oculus Rift drivers causing the DIY Rift to stay dark and never come on, and I believe also for the Nvidia 3DTV Play software, I will now stick with two display devices, and make sure Nvidia 3DTV Play is turned off before using my DIY Rift.

I had some Elsa wired shutter glasses in the late 1990s early 2000s, I was using a CRT back then, from what I can remember the 3D affect and appearance is exactly the same back then as it is now, but this newer version seems to be easier on my eyes, and the glasses are 100% better now, I like both the DIY Rift and the shutter glasses, but I like the Rift's "put you in the game" over the shutter glasses "window into a game", however I do like watching 3D movies better with the shutter glasses.

I want to find something interesting to use the shutter glasses for, like maybe 3d modeling, or something educational, like viewing fractals 8-)
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

I installed some Google cardboard APPs on an Android TV box, hooked that Android TV box to the TV, and then switched the TV to 3D SBS mode, that worked well for some of the roller coaster type stuff, but there is no way to look around, but it worked, I would think if the the Google cardboard APP supported a gamepad or looking with a mouse it would work perfect.

I tried playing various videos on the TVs android video player, and it works with 99% of them, but it seems to have problem with the HEVC codec videos, but my Android TV box plays them just fine.

I also tried playing 3D videos with the Android TV box connected to the TV, and that worked fine, but the videos looked a little better when played with the TV's own android video player.
will1384
Cross Eyed!

Post by will1384 »

I have a Sony DVD player and was getting a blank screen on this TV from my DVD player, the DVD player was set to 1080p and was working with the old TV that had failed, and was working with a small cheap LCD TV, but not with this Sony TV, with the DVD player attached to the small TV I changed the DVD player to 1080i and reattached to the Sony TV and it now works, I guess the TV is a little finicky.

I still have not found an alternative 3D video player for this TV, the TV will not let you switch to 3D mode under Android unless its running Sony's own Android player, that needs to be changed, but I did find something that might help, I was using "Archos Video Player" and changed the "Preferences" to "Allow using another video player" and tried using Sony's Android player, this failed, but, it then allowed you to switch to 3D mode with playing videos under Archos Video Player, this might help when playing videos that Sony's Android player won't play.

Return to “3D HDTVs”