4k passive EDID override

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

4k passive EDID override

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Hello, 3D enthusiasts! :D

Isn't it time for us all to get excited about 4k passive interleaved 3D gaming? :?:

We have the GTX 980 with hdmi 2.0 now, and a number of feasible and quite affordable 4k 3D TV's like the LG 49UB83000.

This new option can give us the best quality 3D as we speak, right?
I bet 3840 x 1080 per eye @ 60 fps beats the hell out of checkerboard 1080p (even if it may require SLI, that is still to see). It also means less latency as the former needs no image processing like the latter.

We just need the proper EDID override driver for use with 3D vision.

The well known Acer EDID override works well with 1080p LG 3D TV's, but that driver limits the available resolutions to 1080p as well.

Anybody here knows how to creare a modified version of that Acer EDID override driver for this noble purpose?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 4k passive EDID override

Post by cybereality »

Don't know about EDIDs, but you should be able to use the TriDef driver, no?
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Of course, but imho 3d vision is still the best. I tried tridef as it came with my 27" passive lg monitor but I didn't like it. It had more steroscopic bugs in almost all games I tried and compared then 3D vision, and it somehow looked less immersive, less real, less "clean" 3D, no matter how much I tried to configure it. I generally dislike their ideas too. Depth compression here, depth compression there, and there's that stupid 1st person gun "fix" that makes the gun look like it was farther then the ground... Seriously???? I absolutely hate the way autoconvergence makes things look too, and as an optometrist I disagree with how it works in practice too.

So i'd much rather use 3D vision.
dazbobaby
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dazbobaby »

But isn't Nvidia 3D Vision limited to 720P?
My Setup:
AMD Bulldozer 8120, 16GB RAM, 4x 1+TB HDD + 512GB SSD
800W Gold corsair PSU, Corsair Hydro H80 Water cooling
NVIDIA GTX 750 married to Samsung UE48H6400 Smart 3D 48" LED TV

PSN and Steam: dazbobaby
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

Nvidia didn't make it obvious, but they made a horizontally interleaved passive format available (they call it "optimied for Geforce 3D") that only activates when ceratin officiallly supported monitors are connected, like the Acer HR274H or the Zalman M240W.
Someone on this board (I can't point out who) created EDID overriding driver inf's of these supported monitors. Using those overriding inf's, the mentioned passive 3D format automatically becomes available for any monitor.
The resulting signal is not really a 3D standard, it's simple 2D signal, just like Side-by-Side or Top-and-Bottom (or Over-Under), except this one has a horizontally interleaved pattern. As a simple 2D signal, it does not have any resolution or refresh rate restrictions. Of course, for the 3D to work in practice, you must use your monitor's native resolution, as that's how the polarizing mask is apllied to the screen.

The driver inf's are posted on several different boards, it's available here:
http://3dvision-blog.com/7163-make-your ... 3d-vision/

The only problem is that these inf's also override the available resolutions. The monitors they are based on have a max resolution of 1920x1080.
That's what needs to be edited, so that 3840x2160 @ 60hz is included.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

A little off topic...
I generally like sitting close to large screens, but I wonder what's the closest I can sit to a 49" screen without seeing 3D crosstalk at the bottom and at the top of the screen?
Anyone has 1dt hand expreince with that?
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

So... I went to an electroics store and checked it using a custom test pattern picture via USB.
It seems for the 49" screen, the minimum viewing distance is around 170 cm. Anything lower than that means crosstalk at the top and bottom. Maybe 4k checkerboard + active 3D would be a better option... If there is a tv that supports that.
eghost355
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eghost355 »

Innuendo1231 wrote:So... I went to an electroics store and checked it using a custom test pattern picture via USB.
It seems for the 49" screen, the minimum viewing distance is around 170 cm. Anything lower than that means crosstalk at the top and bottom. Maybe 4k checkerboard + active 3D would be a better option... If there is a tv that supports that.
Hi Innuendo1231, I got this concern also when I consider changing my TV to a bigger passive one. As the crosstalk will occur if the viewer is not "perpendicular enough" to the screen pixel, so it will be more obvious if the screen is larger. It make the user to move away from the screen further to reduce crosstalk then this oppose the meaning of having a bigger screen.... :cry:

I think passive 3DTV should consider using the curve panel in "vertical" direction, like this:
url.jpg
Just a little curve in vertical will greatly help to ease the crosstalk of large passive 3DTV.... :woot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Innuendo1231
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Innuendo1231 »

!! HEUREKA !!

Here's an edid ovveride inf that contains the timings of LG 49UB850V and has the identity of Acer HR274H.

Yes, that means that the native resolution is 4k and optimized for geforce 3D mode is enabled.

Eyes are still swapped, like it was with 1080p sets.... but there's that registry interleave pattern overriding hack for that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxmDW2 ... sp=sharing

Return to “3D HDTVs”