depthmap from multiple sources

j1vvy
One Eyed Hopeful

depthmap from multiple sources

Post by j1vvy »

I have been experimenting creating stereoscopic 3D 360° panoramic video with a multicamera rig.
http://photocreations.ca/3D/mobius_camera_rig.html

I want the resulting video to rendered with depthmap to allow some 6DoF when viewed on HMD like the Rift.
Instead of using stereo pairs I want to evenly space the cameras pointing outward.
I plan on having enough overlap from the cameras that everything is captured at least 3 times.

What software options are available to automatically create a depthmap? Will they be able to work with spherical data?
I am afraid that the lack of synchronization on the cameras I am experimenting with might cause some bad results but want to know if it is doable?

When recreating stereo pairs using depthmap data that have objects in the foreground, a little bit of the background needs to be computer generated. Why not warp or compress the background a bit when creating the image. Then expand the background when viewing the image?
I see this being quite easy to implement with CG ray-traced graphics. Imagining the depth map having a gravitational pull when tracing the rays to create the image and doing the reverse when viewing it.

Harder to create from multiple images.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: depthmap from multiple sources

Post by cybereality »

I don't know of any off-the-shelf software that will do what you want.

There were several research projects/papers dealing with depth reconstruction from stereo images, you may want to look around and see if any of that code has been open-sourced. However, you'd still likely have to modify it heavily for your purposes.

Hope that helps.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: depthmap from multiple sources

Post by Fredz »

j1vvy wrote:What software options are available to automatically create a depthmap? Will they be able to work with spherical data?
You can try this one, but it's for stereo pairs :
http://3dstereophoto.blogspot.fr/p/software.html

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”