Nvidia 3DTV Play and passive 3d Tv.

PufPuf90
One Eyed Hopeful

Nvidia 3DTV Play and passive 3d Tv.

Post by PufPuf90 »

Hello! I bought LG 42LM620T 3d Tv. I want to connect my desktop pc to tv so i can play games and watch movies in 3d. What do i need to do to achive this? Do i need to buy Nvidias 3d kit with 3d emiter or 3dtv play software do not require it? And is there eny other way to watch 3d movies from my pc on 3d tv? If i play 3d movie in SBS mode on my pc, will my tv play it in 3d or nvidia 3d software is needed? Im really confused. I will be very grateful for any help! Thank you!
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: Nvidia 3DTV Play and passive 3d Tv.

Post by bgnome »

Congrats on your recent puchase!

I will answer your last 2 questions first, as the solution there is somewhat simpler. If you have a video that is half-side-by-side or top-and-bottom (aka over/under), you can play that video with any of your normal media software at full screen. You would then use your remote for the TV and set it to the appropriate 3D mode for the video.

There are media players that will also output row-interleaved 3D without the requirement of 3D drivers, such as Stereoscopic Player, Cyberlink PowerDVD, KMPlayer, etc. When output in this format, the signal to your TV is a normal 2D signal, however the passive polarized display will be in 3D. Youtube has this function as well. You can also use view row-interleaved images as you would any pic and can even have them as your desktop background.

AS far as drivers go, I am assuming you have a reasonable Nvidia graphics card and updated drivers. Nvidia's 3D Vision / 3D Vision 2 kit is meant for approved 120Hz monitors only, so they will definitely NOT work with a passive 3D TV. Nvidia's driver option for 3DTVs is called 3DTV Play, which will output a 720p60Hz or a 1080p24Hz framepacked signal using HDMI 1.4. Unfortunately, your TV is not on the compatability list, so it will not work unless you do an EDID override. The only benefit to having a 3D Vision kit is that the emitter is detected by the driver and allows you to activate it without paying a $40 fee. Personally, I think foregoing 3DTV Play for the new "Optimized for Geforce" option is the better route.
If you want to try 3DTV Play, you can follow the directions here:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=13176

The 3D Vision drivers now directly support specific passive displays that are "Optimized for Geforce." The main drawback to this method is that you are only able to render at the native resolution of the display, which is likely 1080p. If your card is not capable of playing modern games in 3D at 1080p60hz, this may be an issue for you. Being an LG, there may be a couple of other issues as well, including colorbug and eye swap issues.
You can find more info here:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=13821
http://3dvision-blog.com/7163-make-your ... 3d-vision/

Yet another option would be to use 3rd party drivers such as Iz3D or Tridef. You need to pay to activate these as well, however they do come with free trials.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Nvidia 3DTV Play and passive 3d Tv.

Post by cybereality »

If you want to play Blu-Ray 3D, then PowerDVD is a good choice. PowerDVD will also support the SBS source format, but it doesn't have as many options as a dedicated 3D player like Stereoscopic Player. You should be able to feed a horizontal interleaved signal directly (also called row interleaved or just interlaced). You can also play games in 3D if you want, for example with the DDD TriDef drivers. You do not want, and in fact can't use, the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses with that TV. You can buy their Nvidia 3DTV Play software and play games if you want (its $40). Hope that helps.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”