Help needed for making a clone

lukis101
One Eyed Hopeful

Help needed for making a clone

Post by lukis101 »

Hello everyone!

After purchasing my first 120hz monitor, I'm now trying to setup 3D. The main problem with getting NVIDIA 3D Vision is the price... Sooo, why not DIY it? (Won't go with technical details here because this is the wrong forum for that)
I'm now trying to make a microcontroller appear as the IR emitter but it just gets rejected by the official drivers (currently using data from the emitter emulator)

Since I don't have access to any 3D Vision hardware, I need some help!

-> First thing would be data from USB enumeration(That's how PCs know what drivers to use).
Very easy to get using this program (No installation required)
Just select the 3DVision device on the left and copy the data shown. ;) Note: There may be device-specific info like serial number, which you may or may not like to post publicly!

-> Second thing would be full log USB communication log (only if cloning descriptors isn't enough)
Can be taken using USBTrace by plugging a device while capturing with hot-plug option enabled.

Any help greatly appreciated!
P.S. If I manage to pull this off, expect a detailed write-up to appear on the DIY forum! ;)

UPDATE: Currently this project is on halt duo to bigger ones, but quite some progress was made: USB syncing can only be done on devices with full speed (hardware supported) USB. Now I just need to understand sent timing data to prevent phasing...
Last edited by lukis101 on Tue May 10, 2016 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Help needed for making a clone

Post by cybereality »

See if these files help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lukis101
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lukis101 »

cybereality wrote:See if these files help.
After posting I found a log that I somehow missed before on this thread. After a lot of late night head scratching, usb specification studying(my first time working with it!) and playing with different driver versions I managed to somewhat figure out the main verification steps..
Except for last confirmation packet - #168 in the log! It appears to depend on previous few transfers, but that's for later..
Phase 1 complete: 3D mode is finally active! :D
I'm now moving to decoding eye control and writing IR interface. Timing and phase control will be the next "fun" part...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Just wondering, which monitor did you get?
lukis101
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lukis101 »

cybereality wrote:Just wondering, which monitor did you get?
Asus VG248QE, not a new model but still a decent monitor :)

On topic: It can be done! By using correct USB descriptors, analysing communication logs I managed to make a DIY 3D vision emitter without even touching one!
Because of the chip the emitter is using, firmware is reuploaded to its RAM after every power cycle. Some USB descriptors are driver version specific so one must parse and apply the data uploaded to be approved by the driver. All this is done when the device is plugged in. (Well, this is a driver forum :D )
That's all for now! I'll try to minimise the cost of the setup( currently bought from a pricey shop: 5€ for microcontroller itself + 5€ for a universal breakout board, but these will go elsewhere... :twisted: )
As for setup details and code, cya later on the DIY forum! ;)
Last edited by lukis101 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Awesome!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Also, I have an extra set of Nvidia 3D Vision 1 glasses and emitter I'm not using. I'd be willing to send it to you totally for free.

I do think your DIY project is cool, and don't want you to shelf it, but if you'd just like a real set of glasses, let me know.
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by lnrrgb »

When I first read this thread, a wave of "oh no... here we go again!", just swept through me. You know the story. A young, unassuming poster, powered by vision, and backing his walk with obvious skills. You can search the forums for the story. Spoiler - the guy ends up a "*"ionaire, and changes the world.

I kid, but at the first post, my ears perked up.

* - insert your fav prefix - I like cagill. I know Palmer is still just Palmer, but I hope he gets a cagillion out of all this.

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”