3d surround setup driving me crazy...

ghetto
One Eyed Hopeful

3d surround setup driving me crazy...

Post by ghetto »

Im going crazy trying to get this setup to work..
I had seen some YouTube vids showing 3d vision surround with 3 projectors and was blown away.. My previouse setup was eyefinity 5x1 portrait using ati graphics cart it's only a few weeks old but after seeing 3d vision surround I just had to have it.. So I ordered myself a gtx 590 graphics card, a 3dvision 2 kit with the glasses and emitter and 3 optoma gt750 projectors.. Now I know the gt750 projector is not on the supported list but it predessesor the gt720 is so I just assumed newer would be better.. Testing went well at first using one gt750 with the Xbox and blue ray player.. I then tried it with the pc using the gtx590 and was a little surprised to find that although I had the nvidia glasses the nvidia setup went straight for 3dplaytv and required me to use the glasses that came with the projector. It all functioned correctly I could use the single projector with its own brand glasses to game in 3d. So I then connected up the 2 extra projectors so now I had 3 projectors hooked up using dvi to hdmi cables, setup for surround mode was a snap and I had nvidia surround within minuites.. Went to switch on 3d mode and found that stereoscopic 3d had now vanished fron the nvidia control panel... This has now lead to days of frustration and google searches trying to get this to work and I have yet to find a solution. On all my reading it seems to stem from the fact 3dtvplay is not compatible with surround and since only 3dvision works in surround and is not compatible with the newer hdmi 1.4 projectors I have I'm kind of screwed...I tried the amd hd3d solution which worked as well as the nvidia solution eyfinity worked with 3 monitors, tridef software worked with a singlr projector but only with 3 in eyefinity the tridef software turns of the 3d giving the message that it only works in single monitor output .....
The way I see it I have the following options...
1. Send back the projectors and replace them with older models that are on nvidias supported list..problem is the gt720 looks to be next to impossible to obtain in the uk as it is now discontinued, I can get some acer H5360 for a little cheaper but thier longer throw makes them impracticle for me.. All in all the gt750 was the best projector for me..
2. Send back all the nvidia kit and just use the eyefinity setup for now and hope tridef update the software to support 3d in the future.. I did try iz3d but could not get they to work single screen or multiscreen..
3. Find a hack that tricks the nvidia software into seeing 3x gt720 projectors as opposed to the gt750's I have.
Personally I would like the latter I have googled but I just find a lot of info about getting non listed displays to work with 3dplaytv so people can avoid using nvidia glasses, I'm very happy to use the nvidia glasses I need to get nvidia to stop trying to use 3dplaytv and allow the 3dvision glasses to work with my projectors.
4. Give up totally for now and send back the nvidia kit and the projectors and stick with my 5x1 portrait albeit 2d until nvidia or amd update their supported products? The question is will the gt750 projectors ever be supported or is this hdmi 1.4 just incompatible for this kind of setup..
ghetto
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: 3d surround setup driving me crazy...

Post by ghetto »

You guys on this forum seem to have the most info regarding overriding monitor EDID settings.. So I am wondering if I could override the gt 750 EDID file with one from the gt720.? Is it an option ? Would it work? And how would I do it? It would be great if it could work then I could keep all the kit I have and use the override until the gt750 gets nvidia approval..
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yes, unfortunately this stuff can be very confusing and there are a lot of different (and incompatible) technologies out there. Even for someone like me, it can still be confusing. To sum it up as simply as possible, 3D Vision Surround is only possible on 3D Vision certified monitors or projectors. It DOES NOT work with Nvidia 3DTV Play, meaning you can't do 3D surround on 3D HDTVs or projectors which support HDMI 1.4a. You Can do 3DV Surround with certified projectors like the Acer H5360. For the time being it does not appear Nvidia has any interest in fixing this (even though technically it should be possible).

With AMD I know some people got triple screen working with passive (interlaced) displays. But I have not heard of anyone doing this with HDMI 1.4a devices. It may be possible, I've just never seen or heard of it. Maybe DDD will add support for this, I don't think IZ3D is updating their driver anymore (all signs point to them going under).

I would say another option would be to keep one of the GT750's so you can play in 3D single screen. I think a huge 100"+ 3D screen will probably be cool on its own right, not comparing it to Eyefinity. You should also be able to use non-3D Nvida Surround or Eyefinity with the triple projectors, which would also be cool. Not sure I would wait around until the driver vendors add support. By the time that happens there could be vastly better (and cheaper) technology available.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I don't think triple screen S3D will ever be possible with any kind of HDMI 1.4a display (be it a monitor, TV or projector). Basically in HDMI 1.4a the PC sends a top-and-bottom 3D image to the screen at 24Hz or 60Hz, but it isn't aware that it's displayed at 120Hz because the flipping happens inside the display. Without knowing exactly when the images are flipped it's impossible for the PC to synchronize the different displays at 120Hz.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Fredz: Ah, that makes sense. I guess there will never be HDMI 1.4a triple screen.
ghetto
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ghetto »

Ive been on the nvidia forums and found a workaround for now....
just run a quick test using a file I found called acer_h5360modded like you said, device manager add driver, select driver from location pointed to that file.. I did not reboot just rightclicked descktop and opened nvidia control.. in 3d stereoscopic instead of seeing 3dtvplay logo I see nvidia 3d vision logo.. I run the setup wizard and low and behold it starts setting up the nvidia 3d glasses ....result....unfortunately when we get to the part of the setup where it asks you to look throgh left eye and select what shape you see I select the images I see pentagon, triangle click next and the wizard tells me I have a setup error, just for giggles I clicked back and selected the opposite of what I actually see through the glasses so although my left eye sees a triangle I selected the pentagon.. click next and this time it asks me if I see flickering which I do not so I continue..then the square pattern thing appears and I click ok to the warnings and finish.. It then ran the demo 3d images although there is some kind of 3d going on it does not look right so I turned my glasses upside down (i had read somewhere that optoma users were doing this) and that worked .. furthest I have got in over a week..
So to recap I have 3d using the 3d vision glasses but I am having to wear them upside down????
any ideas how to fix this?
for now im going to reopen the boxed gt750s and see if with this setup I can get the 3d surround to work.. fingers crossed...In the mean time if anybody knows why I have to wear the glasses upside down let me know..
Also if your gt720's now have the new EDID can I get a copy, Im curious if I can use this as the overide file instead of the acer one, im thinking the 720 will be a better match for the 750..I also read there is a bit of software called powerstrip that could let me replace the EDID file on the projectors themselves and avoid using any kind of overide until nvidia supports the gt750..
Thanks for your help so far, I am such a happy bunny now I am finialy starting to get results..
Its alive..ALIIIIVE ....
So it works, thankyou baby Jesus..
I hooked up my other 2 gt750's and at first I had problems, screens going off couldn't get extended monitors etc..
So I removed the monitors from device manager, reinstalled the Nvidia drivers and went into nvidia properties, set resolution of all 3 monitors to HD 1280x720 and in the menu selected activate all monitors or something to that effect.. I then chose span displays to test the surround was still working which it was.. I rebooted the computer to make sure everything came back up fine...I then disabled span displays so I now had 1 desktop and 2 extended monitors.. I then went into windows device manager and installed the acer_h5360modified.inf file for each generic monitor displayed... Then once again back into nvidia control and reactivated span displays, all seemed to be fine..
Finally went into 3d stereoscopic settings (this option was never visible when I had the spanned monitors with the default driver) and run the setup wizard.. I still had to wear my nvidia vision 2 glasses upside down but it worked..
First test was to run crysis 2...
At first I got nasty red text all over my screens complaining about resolution, but once in the menu I was able to set display using 3780x720.. and voila 3d surround gaming using 3 Optoma GT750 projectors, and oh my, it is stunning.. No time to play now though had to test Microsoft FSX, and yes it works a treat...
I was so close to sending back the gtx590 and the nvidia vision 2 glasses for a refund as time was running out on the 7 day returns policy, and sticking with my AMD cards but now the gt6970's are going on ebay..In
hindsight would it have been better buying the gt720's in the first place? Probably .. but for just £40 a projector more I have the latest optima GT750s with dl-link glasses, the ability to run an xbox or play a 3d movie using hdmi 2 on the centre projector with its own glasses and of course a higher resale value should i decide in 6 months to go 1080p and sell the gt750's...
All in all im a very happy bunny..
What would make me happier is if Nvidia would support this projector for 3d surround so that I can put my Nvidia glasses on the correct way around..
Ofcourse the fun does not stop here I now have to install a warp software so that I can set up the projectors on a 180 degree curved screen as that was always the intended use, I do hope I dont find driver issues with that software and my setup..
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Nvidia makes it so your glasses are inverted because a projector is not on their support list and most likely because you changed your edid to a totally different projector with different specs.

You could use dlp link glasses and i've seen some that have an invert "switch eye" button on the glasses. Dlp link glasses are not really as good as nvidia 3d glasses though. Your projector should have a invert function in the menu only for dlp link, although i am not sure if you would have to goto the menu on each projector.

With nvidia glasses you can try and use and invert your convergence to the other side by pressing and holding Ctrl+F5 or Ctrl+F6 depending on which side your glasses are inverted to. Now you would have to hold down and switch the convergence with those hotkeys for 20 seconds or so untill you see a change in the picture and 3d. This should work only for games that support convergence control that is not locked out like some 3d ready game "Mafia 2".

But honestly Nvidia will probably support that projector system you have sometime soon and you should phone Nvidia or email them or chat live and get them in the motions of actually supporting it for you.

When you bought your projectors did it say anything like 3d ready on the box or 3dtv play?

Maybe call Optoma too and see what they think of it. I am sure they could get nvidia to support it the next day.

Also heres some other glasses you could try until nvidia fixes their support: http://ahugq.vcfpq.servertrust.com/product_p/u2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Description

One pair of Model U2 3d glasses

Compatible with Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung, Sony, Vizio 3DTV sets, Nvidia® glasses and emitters on PC's and all 3D Vision compatible laptops and LCD or OLED monitors.
THEY WORK WITH ANY 3D READY DLP PROJECTORS (with any external emitter), and with all highend 3D projectors such as Sharp XVZ17000 etc, Mitsubishi HC9000D and DW etc,
Sony VPL VW90ES, VPL HW30AES, VPL HW30ES etc , JVC DLA 3D series Models DLA-X3, DLA-X7 and DLA-X9 , RS 40, RS50, RS60 etc, Panasonic AE7000U etc, HP Envy Laptops and CrystalEyes®,I/O®,Elsa®, X3D®,3DTV Corp® glasses, emitters.

Use your existing glasses with our Emitter/glasses (not ALL glasses will work simultaneously). Glasses Compatible
with ALL Samsung LCD, Plasma and DLP 3DTV sets (except the 2011 Bluetooth sets) and Mitsubishi 3D Starter kits. Compatible with the wireless glasses and gaming dongle (interface) sold by X3D. I/0,Razor etc.
Compatible with Mitsubishi and Samsung DLP TV's and 3D Ready DLP Projectors (all with optional 3DTV Corp emitter )JVC 3D Projectors Models DLA-X3, DLA-X7 and DLA-X9, RS40, RS50, RS60 etc JVC glasses PK-AG1-B and Emitter PK-EMP1P and Nivida 3D Vision kit.

Rechargeable, USB Cable, bag, cleaning cloth, detailed instructions.Superior image -no ghosting, no tinting- Lightweight comfortable.

Unique Polarity Reversal Switch-essential for many uses.

•Switch frequency:50hz ~ 144hz

ca 20' (7M) wireless range
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Awesome!
mAchiNE
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mAchiNE »

cybereality wrote:With AMD I know some people got triple screen working with passive (interlaced) displays. But I have not heard of anyone doing this with HDMI 1.4a devices. It may be possible, I've just never seen or heard of it. Maybe DDD will add support for this, I don't think IZ3D is updating their driver anymore (all signs point to them going under).
I have a question about passive 3D LCD displays....
Can anyone here tell me if the Nvidia 3D Vision Surround driver will work with "Optimized for Nvidia GeForce 3D" Passive LCD Displays http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimized- ... itors.html
The Nvidia Website does not say that it is supported but it also does not say that it doesn't work either and I see no reason that it shouldn't work unless Nvidia chose not to support it :?

I ask because the LG D2342 23" Passive 3D monitor is on clearance here at the moment and this gives a rare opportunity to get a 3D Tripple monitor setup for very cheap!, I already bought one of these monitors to test the EID override to make it work with the Nvidia Driver (which works beautifully btw) but I just realised that it might not work with 3D Vision Surround :shock:

If not does Tri Def driver support Triple monitors on Nvidia cards?

Any info on this would be great
Thanks in advance!

Sorry for hijacking the thread a little but it seemed like a good place to ask the question rather than starting a new topic
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

To be honest, I have no clue, but knowing Nvidia watch it not work. They seem to like to go out of their way to make things that should work not work. Would be cool if it did though.

If you can set a surround resolution (for 2D) then it may be possible to use DDD/IZ3D in interleaved mode. I know people have done this with Eyefinity, not sure if it works on Nvidia though.
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Well I bought another 2 of them anyway because they are the same price as an equivalent 2D monitor atm and I really wanted to try out a triple monitor setup even if it is only 2D so I will report back here with results on how/what/if it works, my guess is that I will probably have to set a 2d surround resolution and use the DDD driver to make it 3D
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

As Promised here are the results of my test:
IT WORKS! :woot
Despite Nvidias response on their facebook page saying 3D Vision surround does not work on any passive 3D displays, I simply installed the Nvidia Driver as normal, and enabled surround mode in the SLI tab of Nvidia Control panel, and enabled 3D Vision in the Stereoscopic tab of the Nvidia control panel! (I am using LG monitors with EID override as the Acer Passive 3D monitor is not available where I am, but this means that the Passive 3D Acer Monitor that is supported by Nvidia will also work)

3D on Tripple monitors is amazing, I have used a 3D projector on a 80" screen on my gaming rig before and this beats it hands down!, the FOV wrapping into you peripheral vision really immerses you into the game world so much more and in 3D it is just that much better again! :D
Not to mention I got all three 23" monitors (on clearance) for the total minuscule price of $687NZD!! (approx $550USD)

I wish Nvidia would just support all 3D displays, I mean anyone who intends to run 3x 1080p monitors in 3D Vision Surround will already be spending a fairly large chunk of cash on Nvidia Graphics cards to be able to play any recent games, for example I have 2 GTX560s in SLI but that can not even handle Battlefield 3 in 5760x1080 3D Vision Surround, even on the lowest settings ( It will run but is barely playable) :cry: so I will be upgrading to some fairly expensive GTX6XX series cards in the not to distant future which I would NOT be doing if I could not have gotten these monitors to work with the Nvidia 3D Driver as I can not afford/justify the price of 3 120hz monitors AND a graphics card upgrade, and I suggest to any Nvidia person who might read this that there are a LOT of people out there who would be upgrading their Graphics cards for similar setups if only they could use it on more affordable 3D displays!

FYI I also own a 3D Vision Monitor and 2 pairs of Nvidia Glasses
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Awesome news!
iamcanadian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iamcanadian »

I have the same issues as you. I started out with a gt720 worked great bought 2 750gt. thats where things went bad. got 3d to work but the 750s upsidedown. so i bought another one. and i had to use the Acer INF file on all of them. But now wearing glasses upsidedown with the IR tracker velcrod to the bottom it works but a real driver would be nice. I spoke to a Optoma rep and he said they pay Nvidia $10,000 for a inf file per projector, sounds like a money grab but wouldnt put it past Nvidia. 3d surround gaming on a 180" screen is pretty cool though on a 2 seat motion platform, wearing glasses wrong.
A question , when i set the 750s to DLP link my color gets gets really bad unusable, have you found the same?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

iamcanadian wrote:I spoke to a Optoma rep and he said they pay Nvidia $10,000 for a inf file per projector, sounds like a money grab but wouldnt put it past Nvidia.
We've known for a while that Nvidia charges to "certify" 3D displays, but I think this is the first time I've seen an actually number attached. Previously someone at Zalman had commented that Nvidia charged an annual fee for continued 3D support. So this is not really a secret anymore. However, Andrew Fear claims they don't charge for 3DTV Play support. But, for some reason, they still only whitelist certain displays and I can't figure out why they would do this if they weren't charging money.
iamcanadian wrote:A question , when i set the 750s to DLP link my color gets gets really bad unusable, have you found the same?
I have the Optoma GT750, and I have no problems with the color. I use it exclusively with DLP-Link glasses and have had no problems. However, I am using this with AMD hardware.
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Just to update the Triple LG Passive 3D setup using EID override with Nvidia 3D Vision Surround is BROKEN as of the R331 Drivers (331.40 - 331.93)
Thanks Nvidia, you suck :evil:

The issue with the new drivers is the following; everything works fine, I am able to activate surround and 3D vision but after I restart it does not recognize the EID override anymore and 3d can only be enabled as anaglyph (3D Vision Discover) because the Nvidia driver is detecting that I have LG monitors.
This can be fixed by simply disabling and then re-enabling Surround in the Nvidia control panel but THIS IS A MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS to have to do this every time I turn on the PC.

The only workaround I have found (other than rolling back my driver to older versions) is to Hibernate the Computer instead of shutting it down, in this case the EID stays intact and the 3D Vision Surround keeps on working until such time as the Computer needs to be restarted for driver updates etc.

For anyone using or considering getting this setup (or other EID hacked surround setups) the latest fully working Nvidia Driver is 327.23 which you can get Here

If you want to use the newer Driver with the "Hibernate" workaround you can get instructions on how to add the 'Hibernate' option to your Start Menu shutdown options Here

Update: as of 19-March-2014
The current Nvidia driver 335.23 still has this issue, looks like this problem is not going to go away :(
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Update; Driver version 340.43

looks like this workaround is dead for now, as of the above driver update, the EID override disappears as soon as Nvidia surround is turned on meaning no access to the passive 3D only 3D Vision discover :cry:
This is a major bummer because the TriDef Driver (OEM version) does not support multi monitor gaming...... only 1080p. I am not sure about the paid version of TriDef Driver.

It was good while it lasted, but now my 3x 3D monitors are no good any more as a surround setup :evil:

I might look into this further if I get time.
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

That's their constant melody... :roll:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Ah, too bad.
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Good News!!!!!!!! I have just tried the Latest TriDef Retail version of the Driver (the free 14day trial) and it supports 3D gaming in surround (5760x1080) :D
I'm not sure how long they have been supporting surround (they didn't when I first got this setup a few years back) but I'm super glad they do now!

I guess the OEM version (free with my LG monitor) only supports 1080p because it is only intended for use with 1 monitor.
I don't mind too much seeing as the Retail TriDef driver only costs $40 anyway so not too expensive and gets my rig working again in 3D

I have tested it with Dirt 3 and as far as I can tell the TriDef driver works as well as the Nvidia 3D driver, maybe better? but in any case both are very similar
, I will test with more games later.

So the upside being that I can now ditch Nvidia cards if I want and get the more affordable ATi cards ;) if only Nvidia had not been so greedy with their licencing I would probably stay loyal to them for all their hard work since the beginning of S3d on the PC, even if they offered a Retail version of their 3D driver to the consumers that have bought Monitors that are not officially licensed for their 3D Vision driver. (yes i know about 3DTV Play but as far as I am aware it only supports HDMI 4.1a and my monotors are DVI-D and does not support their 3D surround)
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

That's really great news! I'm using tridef myself but i had no idea that this option existed without nvidia surround though. :oops:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

To clarify, I am using nvidia surround (2d) then run the tri def launcher to enable 3d and it runs at whatever resoloution the game is set at, I'm sure this will work with ATI eyfinity as
well, especially since ATI use TriDef as their preferred 3D partner

Edit:
Step by Step guide to using RETAIL TriDef 3D Driver with Nvidia Surround:
1) Install latest TriDef Driver (Retail version not OEM)
1) Enable Nvidia Surround in Nvidia Control Panel, Create Bezel corrected resolution during this setup process
2) Set Bezel corrected resolution as Desktop resolution (THIS IS IMPORTANT FOR GAMING, if you set the bezel corrected resolution in the game it will NOT have the bezel correction, it MUST be set on the desktop)
3) Run TriDef Launcher and launch game
4) Play game and enjoy the 3D on 3 screens!!
Current System:
Previous 3D Systems:

Return to “NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision Driver Forums”