Dolby 3D glasses - Where can I buy?

pabls71
One Eyed Hopeful

Dolby 3D glasses - Where can I buy?

Post by pabls71 »

Hi all,

I am a proud owner of an IZ3D monitor and also Nvidia 3d glasses. However my taste buds have been activated by the member Kamus on his topic over at IZ3D-http://forum.iz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=1306
with reference to setting up a dual projection rig with IZ3D drivers and the Dolby 3d Glasses. I have always heard that dual projection is the best option and now I want to have a go.

Can someone out there please advise me where can I buy these glasses online? I need three as Kamus descibes...
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Dolby 3D glasses - Where can I buy?

Post by Likay »

Example but maybe not what you're looking for but i found a german site by a quick look. No prices yet though.

Try googling for infitec glasses and see what pop ups.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
stepsbarto

Post by stepsbarto »

hi ,guys,

I'm watching that other topic ,too ...
....might be very interesting ,if color correcting could be done by software ....
... e.g. ... glasses I´ve found here ... http://rbt-3d.de/index.php?client=1&lan ... =126&m=&s=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards
steps
martinlandau
Certif-Eyed!

Post by martinlandau »

60 bucks? Likay weren't those stereobright filters only 80 bucks? That is practically the same price, so it comes down too which preserves the lumens and has less ghosting no? I went to see coraline 3d I think it was a dolby theater and not realD, they charged me 2.50 for the glasses, but the lenses are plastic, not glass. I suppose they would melt too fast - perhaps you could rig up some cheap PC fans to blow cool air on them.

Anyways, I remember at the end of the coraline movie having a slight headache, which I thought was perhaps related to seperation or convergence issues, but it may have been the dolby technology. I watched bolt 3d and journey in a reald theater and got no headaches.
The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDdI_sfNop8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I haven't checked up prices for those. lol. The filters i have are the notorious spars on lcd-projectors.. and those are a tad expensier than that....

A stereobright rig and a polarized rig using spar-filters should have about the same "lumenthroughput"/tech.
An infitec rig will most probably not reach this.

Infitec most probably ghosts less than stereobright and even a polarized dual projector rig.

Another caveats with stereobright is that the aligning is very crucial (because two colors comes from one pj and one color from the other to one eye and vice versa). This is not as important in a standard passive rig using infitec or polarized tech.

About brightness i think you can compare infitec with a passive rig using standard polarizers. You still need a silverscreen for the polarized rig while infitec works best with a standard white board or simply a very bright wall.

I still need to see how it works myself and when i'm able to get some infitec glasses relatively cheap i'm definitely going to try it out of curiosity.
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

ehm guys, just as information, in naw you can win a framed REALLY BIG silverscreen. its a expensive peace of equipemtn.. also some filters for passive projection... maybe its worth to check it out...

ehm, what are dolby glasses?
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I'm almost certain that dolby3d uses infitec technology which means that colorfiltering is used for stereoseparation. It's not comparable with anaglyph in anyway because both eyes sees all colors and therefore full colorspectrum. Each filter lets through three specific wavelengths (red, green and blue) and the other filters does the same. But: The wavelengths for the red differs a slight bit between left and right filters and so is for the other colors. It's said to have less ghosting than a passive polarised projector rig (which both you and i know is not a problem with a polarized beamer rig anyway. ;) )
An infitec rig has the same advantages as a dual polarized rig but without need of a silverscreen. The biggest caveat compared to our rigs is that it won't come close to the light output using spars and lcd-pj's. Besides there might be needs to adjust the basecolors in some manor and according to Kamus this seems worse than it theoretically should be. :?
Still it's alot better than shutterglasses and you only need passive glasses which is always a plus. A dual vga is what's needed for this too.

Stereobright is another standard and a tad more complicated. It uses the internal polarization of an lcd-projector to accomplish very high lumen output (equal to spars). The polarization however after a stereobright filter still have two different alignments and therefore you can't use rectifying polarizers with them. Therefore they also ghosts quite a bit more. I can image the final result is like using circular polarization or even worse. A stereobright rig is more complicated to run using drivers or players (Peter Wimmers player supports stereobright though) because the colors from the projectors needs to be split up. Red+blue from one projector goes to the left eye while the green from the same pj goes to the right and vice versa. This sets quite great demands on alignment too.

I'm still very curious on the tech and going to try when time gives. :)
jellybean73
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jellybean73 »

Hi
I got the chance today to play with some infitec filters. I can tell you thet are awesome. My local infitec reps loaned me a set and I was able to insert the small filter into the light path on an Ultra Short throw Sanyo projector. The result was an very large Projection in a small room with almost no ghosting. I haven't played with color correction yet as I am not going to get hold oof some Dolby Glasses and try them. I love that you Don't need a silver screen and can turn your head. I have played with both Shutter Glasses and Polarization previously (in fact I have 3 edimensional glasses I will probably get rid of now) but in all honesty I think I prefer this technology. Will let people know how I go with the Dolbys and Might take some pics of how you put the Filters into the light path.

Hugz
Jenny
jellybean73
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jellybean73 »

sigh!!
Dolby have changed their glasses so that the lenses are now curved. So no use for inserting into the light path.

:(
3dproman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dproman »

i found a cool website that sells dolby 3D glasses, all other 3D glasses and 3D gadgets and explains what uses for what
http://www.bnext3D.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the only problem is that its in europe so it probably cost $$$ to ship it...

Return to “iZ3D Legacy Drivers”