Which are better shutter glasses xpand 101,102,103 or nvidia

Shutter glasses and custom polarized! Talk about them here.
ngsmith
One Eyed Hopeful

Which are better shutter glasses xpand 101,102,103 or nvidia

Post by ngsmith »

I did a quick search on the forum to see if there were any threads comparing xpand glasses to nvidia's, but did not run across anything significant. There has been a lot of talk about their compatibility with drivers and screens/projectors but I am more concerned about the quality of viewing of the glasses themselves. Which brand appear clearer or less dark? Which brand is lighter and less cumbersome for extended viewing? Which brand has the larger viewing radius (can you see the rims of the glasses, is the nose area obstructive, how much peripheral vision do you have through the lcd's, etc)? Which brand closes out ambient light better? Is flicker more noticeable for either brands at 120hz? How do they compare to older glasses in quality (e.g. Edims, CrystalEyes)?
If anyone has tried both brands please post your impressions, and if anyone can test both against similar viewing conditions please let us know.

Thanks
Mb: Nvidia570 sli
Cpu: AMD64 X2 4600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8600GT
3D: Shutterglasses + Optoma EP739
Wober
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Which are better shutter glasses xpand 101,102,103 or nv

Post by Wober »

The only glasses out right now are the nvidia ones.... so no one can say what is the best.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

I received my X102's last Friday and have spent a couple hours with them so this won't be a full review or anything and i can only compare to Nvidia. I am still using the Nvidia 1.15 drivers

1. Ghosting. Not one iota so far. Thumbs up, however I haven't tried a lot of games yet so stay tuned.
2. Brightness. They seem a bit brighter and more crisp than the Nvidia glasses. I was able to drop down gamma settings a bit which is always a good thing.
3. Comfort. Kind of a mixed bag here. They feel heavier than Nvidia but not to the point of being too bothersome. The earpieces are made of flexible rubber and are VERY comfortable. The nose bridge however doesn't offer any type of padding which would help given the additional weight. Since they sync directly with the projector...wait for it...
I don't have to wear them upside down! And even if the eyes were reversed, I can swap them within the projector menu.
4. Usability. Touch the side to turn them on. easy... However, they only turn off if they don't sense the DLP Link which means you either store them somewhere or turn DLP Link off in the projector menu. I didn't experience any issues with losing sync at all. No flickering at all.

Here is the real sweet part about these glasses. I am no longer tied to only Nvidia drivers, or Nvidia video cards for that matter! These work with anything that can send 120hz field sequential to the projector. IZ3D Drivers now work with select projectors and more are being added (including mine), and rumor has it that DDD will soon be supporting 120hz projectors as well. Native games like Avatar should work perfectly without any additional software as well. This is the way it is meant to be...
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Wober
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Wober »

x101 and x102 are not usable with today's 120hz monitors. (DLP only).

x103 are not avaible yet (but I think that they will be the best)

nvidia glasses are not too good... but they are the only glasses with 120hz Monitor compatibility.
ngsmith
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ngsmith »

Thanks pixel67 for your impressions. It sounds as far as the shutterglasses themselves you prefer the xpand version. What is your impression on FOV and how well they do in sealing out ambient light compared to nvidia's.

Anyone else have comments?
Mb: Nvidia570 sli
Cpu: AMD64 X2 4600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8600GT
3D: Shutterglasses + Optoma EP739
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

Yes, the FOV is larger than Nvidia's. I play in a pretty dark room with very little ambient lighting so I can comment on that. I am happy with them so far.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Pixel, where did you get them and how much are they going for?

Ku
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

http://www.tru3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great bunch of guys.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
Petrus
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Petrus »

I've made a performance comparison between Nvidia and Xpand X101 :
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 603#p44603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bullripper
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bullripper »

Thanks Pixel67 you have answered pretty much all the questions I have regarding x102 but just need clarification on one.
I use the Optoma HD66 currently which I think you just have the pro version of this projector so we are on the same page with display.

I currently use HD66 with Nvidia 3D vision drivers (1.25) and Nvidia 3D vision glasses via a workaround and wear the glasses upside down.
My question am I able to keep Nvidia 3D vision drivers installed and start using the X102 as my glasses instead? From your statement about only needing frame sequential 120hz output it sounds like it.

They sound better than Nvidia glasses plus I can wear the correct way up, also I want to start using the DLP link as IR just gets on my goat as a communication method.
They sound great bar the proprietary battery thing but I can probably look past that.

Also did you guys know Viewsonic have DLP link glasses out but of course out of stock, just my luck but I am also unsure on quality etc.
pixel67
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pixel67 »

You bet. If you're nvidia glasses are working then so will the xpand glasses via dlp link but you will need to keep the IR emitter plugged in so the drivers will activate.
Nvidia 3D Vision Drivers
GTX 280/SLI
Optoma Pro350W
Xpand X102 Glasses
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

Pixel67, what comes with the glasses, anything? This has a IR emiter that plugs into the RS232 on the projector or were you talking about the Nvidia glasses? I have a Dell s300, Im hoping the glasses is all I need using my ATI 5750 and IZ3D.

Ahh I read up on the glasses and I should be good to gooo.. Just a Plug and play and 3D, now I just need to buy them. Tnx for the info at tru3d

Ku
408sjc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 408sjc »

I have been having a problem with the ir emitter not letting the dlp link glasses get a signal. If I move Nvidia's emmiter out of range the X102's work perfectly. I have to find a position where the emitter can be and have both working at the same time.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Im hesitating to buy the x102 (just to be able to play opengl games on winxp), because they specify contrast 500:1 . This is hand in hand with the higher transmittance, so there must be truth to this.
This would limit my displays perfomance .

Nvidia is said to be 2000:1 , while lower transmittance.

RealD Ce5 is said to be 5000:1 , even lower transmittance...
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
ZeldaMan35
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ZeldaMan35 »

I haven't jumped into the world of 3D before and I'm thinking about buying a 3D TV. I don't know what to look for when buying the glasses or TV's, so any information you could provide would be appreciated! Also, what kind of information is available for 3D video production equipment? I've been wanting to upgrade my equipment to 3D but don't what to get for equipment.
Last edited by ZeldaMan35 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I love my LCD HDTV!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Both of those glasses are good, I think the Sony are better though. It doesn't matter much, since you can't really choose. You must use whatever glasses are made for your TV. If you buy a Panasonic TV you need Panasonic glasses. If you buy a Sony TV you need Sony glasses. Situation kinda sucks.

Return to “3D Glasses”